Your thoughts, opinions on using a Famous name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see and understand several different opinions on this, but thank God we are all individuals and can choose to name our horses how we please. I do think though that after the grandget a famous name shouldn't be used, hopefully the sire/dam have done something spectacular or are spectular themselves and are worthy of being breeding animals in the first place. As we all know we shouldn't be breeding just for color or because a mare can "spit" a foal out. And to say that a name has been done over and over, is no different than saying a horse bred of a certain line, when that certain horse being referred to goes back 4 generations or more. To each their own.

As usual, very good point, Sheryl
default_yes.gif
:

I've heard several people say their horse is ________ bred and when I look at the actual pedigree, it's waaaaaaaaay on back there... :bgrin

All very good points and all have merit. I do think if we eliminate all names farther back than sire or dam, we will severely limit our number of names. Keep in mind also that using the sire or dam's name is also often using the gggr's name. Example:

Prince Tennessee Monashee

Little Americas Tennessee Stud

McSperitts Tennessee Promise

Songcatchers Tennessee Waltz

In every example, the name of the direct sire or dam has been incorporated into the name of the foal. I have also thought of foal names that I had never heard of before, later to find out that the name has been used with another prefix. Big deal. I don't think anyone is going to confuse Songcatchers Mona Lisa with NFCs Mona Lisa. And even though NFCs Mona Lisa is in the pedigree of Songcatchers Mona Lisa, there was no attempt to make any association between the two (I didn't even realize it at the time). Songcatchers Mona Lisa is a daughter of McSperitts Dandy Masterpiece. The "Mona Lisa" was a masterpiece painted by Leonardo DaVinci and also a song by Nat King Cole several years ago.

People have all different reasons for choosing the names they do and sometimes the similarity to ancestors names is purely coincidental and sometimes by choice.

Besides, I hope my gr. gr. gr. grandfather would not resent the fact that I carry his name.

Besides, I hope my gr. gr. gr. grandfather would not resent the fact that I carry his name.
My thoughts reading that line made me giggle because it made me think how I probably know some of my horses gr+++ grand sires, but I could not tell you the name of mine :bgrin

Let's see... I carry the name "Greaves" and have been able to trace it back over 100 years. I probably have less than 1% of "Greaves" blood in me. Maybe I should change my name.

"Much ado about nothing", in my opinion.

Um,,, yah,,, we were talking about human geneology???? Not quite the same.

I do think it is a very valid conversation. I do feel once you dilute the bloodline down past great grandfather or great grand mother, it really isn't enough to validate that lineage in that foal. But whatever floats your boat!

I guess I just dont see why there has to be a right or wrong? either side is right as it is what they choose to do.. it is just a name after all
default_wacko.png
:

the OP simply asked for opinions.. sometimes it is really ok to agree to disagree

"Much ado about nothing", in my opinion.
Sorry you feel that way.

My reason for asking, was out of respect for those who have done a majority of the work, either by breeding or showing, giving us all the priveledge of getting to see a wonderful animal, and hopefully owning a part of such a wonderful horse, and out of respect, should we use our original own name.

I would not want to bring any disrespect to any of those before me,,,,,,to me that is something,,,,,,but, that just my opinion. If I ever get to that point, I'll just ask those who are directly involved.

We bred two Del's Cowboy grandsons over here from our palomino mare & decided to play on words so that they had both our stud prefix but an indication of the breeding line too. ' Shadels Cowboy Too and Shadels Cowboys Gold', their sire also has the 'Cowboy' in his name. Mind you it is a line which isn't so common in this country so it does help to promote it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony's input sounds right on to me!

It's funny to me in a way that "outside" people would even actually care to spend enough time to pass judgement on what others choose to name their own horses.

I think there are several horses out there, that you just say one name, even if a barn name,,,,,most people know who the horse is. In some cases, it may just be by area of the country as I am sure there are horses out west everyone knows, but us here in the MidWest may not have a clue.

Anyway,,,,,how do you feel about using a very well know horses name, in your foals name? Not a suffix or prefix,,,,,,,,but just as part of the name?

Since most know Buckeroo, will use that only as an example.

My farm is V V,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so if I used V V's Golden Buckeroo,,,,,,,,again just an example,,,,,,,,,is that wrong, (not in the legal sense) or disrespectful,,,,,,,or you just steer clear of those type of things?

Due to prefixs and suffixs, I know above depending on registry may not be totally legal,,,,,,,,but I think you get the idea of what I am asking.

Or if you use it,,,,,,,,do you consider it a thing just from the horses past and you want to carry on the name, or you do for some other reason if it was done intentionally.

Or,,,,,,it is just a case, you just don't think it should be done?
The only comment that I would make is to be careful how you use the name. If people make the connection they could end up comparing your horse with the original and if he/she isn't as good they will be left with that memory.

If I see a horse with "Buckeroo" in his name, I tend to think that there is Buckeroo somewhere in his pedigree. However, there may be cases where the owner didn't intend for there to be any connection to Boone's Little Buckeroo at all...the owner may have wanted a name with a cowboy theme...and could use the name Buckeroo because of that.

Believe it or not, there are some Mini people who don't really know who Buckeroo is...there's a farm in Canada that used (or used--not sure they're still raising horses) the prefix "Little Buckaroos". And yes, there are people who figure Buckeroo is something to do with the Little Buckaroos horses. The one letter difference in spelling means nothing to them.

Orion was a Greek god, so someone may very well use "Orion" to name a horse even if that horse has absolutely no connection to Orion Light Vant Huttenest. "Rowdy" could be in a name because rowdy is a word that describes that horse's nature, whether the famous Rowdy is or is not an ancestor of that horse.

I do think that using a "famous" name such as Buckeroo just because the foal has Buckeroo 4 or 5 generations back and the owner is trying to make sure that everyone knows this foal is Buckeroo bred
default_rolleyes.gif
: is kind of silly, but if someone is using that famous name just because they like that particular name (and may not even realize it's a famous name!) & it suits the horse, well, why not?

Latest posts

Back