Your thoughts, opinions on using a Famous name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I think there are several horses out there, that you just say one name, even if a barn name,,,,,most people know who the horse is. In some cases, it may just be by area of the country as I am sure there are horses out west everyone knows, but us here in the MidWest may not have a clue.

Anyway,,,,,how do you feel about using a very well know horses name, in your foals name? Not a suffix or prefix,,,,,,,,but just as part of the name?

Since most know Buckeroo, will use that only as an example.

My farm is V V,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so if I used V V's Golden Buckeroo,,,,,,,,again just an example,,,,,,,,,is that wrong, (not in the legal sense) or disrespectful,,,,,,,or you just steer clear of those type of things?

Due to prefixs and suffixs, I know above depending on registry may not be totally legal,,,,,,,,but I think you get the idea of what I am asking.

Or if you use it,,,,,,,,do you consider it a thing just from the horses past and you want to carry on the name, or you do for some other reason if it was done intentionally.

Or,,,,,,it is just a case, you just don't think it should be done?

Well, I had Diminutives "Melody" Mouscaneer. She was heavy GMB/Mouse. I had a Diminutives Baroness "Vant" Thera. She was alot of Vant Huttenest. I had a Diminutives Treasures Secret "Gold" with heavy GMB. I think the "Buck" is the most used of late and if done tastefully and not duplicated would be ok. How about asking the owners of Buckeroo?

I think it is a good market strategy, defines the horse's lineage, and hopefully reflects well on the parentage of the foal. I'll be interested in this discussion even tho I breed no longer. In my days of breeding I always tried to put some lineage in the name. I think many folks do.

You still feeling good Caro?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see absolutely nothing wrong with it and even see it as a compliment to the ancestor. Of course, there are rules regarding prefixes and suffixes.

I use musically themed names, song titles, singers, or instruments. I try to incorporate ancestors names into that.

My first foal was a filly whose sire was a Fire And Ice son. I named the filly Songcatchers Chariot Of Fire.

I have a mare who is a Prince Tennessee Monashee grandaughter. I named her current foal Songcatchers Tennessee Waltz.

I have a filly that I bought as a weanling and was allowed to choose her name (using the breeders prefix). Her sire is Lilliputs Calumet. I named the filly Bear Farms Consider the Lilies.

I can't see why anyone would take offense to such names. I would consider it a compliment. But, I guess some people might be looking for something to be upset about. Nothing anyone can do about that. As I said on another thread (and not my own original idea), You can please SOME of the people ALL of the time, and you can please ALL of the people SOME of the time, but you CAN'T please ALL of the people ALL of the time.

As long as the foal is son/daughter, grand, or great I don't have problem with it. But if you have to go 4 or more generations back to find the orginial "famous" horse, then I think you might be misrepresenting the horse a little.
default_unsure.png
:

Personally, I ALWAYS try to tie the lineage into the name somehow (usually using the sire/dam names).

I don't see a problem with it. When we named our palomino stallion sired by Buck Echo we did put Echo in his name.................. Short story here. Years ago we sold a few horses to a couple. One was bred to our Buckeroo grandson LKF Echo's Omega. They had a relative that was a seeker of cheap horses & after coming back from an auction told our buyers that Buckeroo had been sold there for $5,000. We also sold a palomino colt to someone with application papers in order & they were going to name the colt. Said she was going to name him Buckeroo. Well she never did register him but she did call him Buckeroo.

I think if the breeder wants to use the famous name and it's somewhere behind the horse, it's a good idea. I am sure I'll be using "buck" something in the future
default_smile.png
And would use parts of the sire's names or dams names, too, depending on what strikes my fancy at the time
default_yes.gif
:

I personally don't do it- in fact i am not one to ever really name a horse after it's sire or dam- not saying there is anything wrong with it or not just not something I personally like to do

there are tons of horses out there with buck of some sort or another I just prefer my names to be a bit different
default_yes.gif
:

I have seen Buckeroo or take offs of the name used a lot and think it is kind of nice as long as it is a close relative to Buckeroo. Not only is his name used a lot but other well known sires also get their offspring named after them. I really do like to see the association made with nice horses. Mary

We have two Blue Boy bred mares (a granddaughter and great-granddaughter) that have Blue in their name. And we have a Flabys Supreme son whose own name (Challenger) doesn't add on very elegantly, so we put Supreme in their names. But if it wasn't in their sire or dam's name to begin with, regardless of breeding, we don't incorporate it, and most of our homebreds (with the exception of the Supreme-breds) get names that fit their personalities regardless of the names of their sires and dams.

This is my personal preference...

If the horse is a SON/DAUGHTER of "the" horse, it makes sense to me. If it's further out, I think it's dumb. I hate when I see a horse named "XYZ's Little Buckeroo Blue" and then check out it's pedigree and see it's a Great-grandson of "ABC's Son of Buckeroo" and that is the only mention of THE "Boones Little Buckeroo." Grandson/Daughter gets a little too far for me.

I personally like my horse to have it's own name. A strong name. I like it when a horse is it's own horse, and it makes it's OWN name.

Andrea

This is my personal preference...

If the horse is a SON/DAUGHTER of "the" horse, it makes sense to me. If it's further out, I think it's dumb. I hate when I see a horse named "XYZ's Little Buckeroo Blue" and then check out it's pedigree and see it's a Great-grandson of "ABC's Son of Buckeroo" and that is the only mention of THE "Boones Little Buckeroo." Grandson/Daughter gets a little too far for me.

I personally like my horse to have it's own name. A strong name. I like it when a horse is it's own horse, and it makes it's OWN name.

Andrea

I agree with Andrea.
default_yes.gif
: Sons and daughters of THE horse, OK. But then those sons and daughters need to make their own names.

I am in agreement that if it is a son/daughter or granddaughter/grandson or even great to use part of the name. But after that it is iffy. And I definitely wouldn't use the exact name with a twist

Alot of times I don't have any of the bloodlines in the name. Depends on if my daughter calls the name out and it sticks. And speaking from a person that has ALOT of Buckeroo, the name is way overdone. After awhile they all blend and you need to STAND OUT!

Here are some examples of foals from this year. Tell me the bloodlines and don't cheat and look
default_rolleyes.gif
: There isn't - but I hope they stand out enough to have their names remembered

Zephyr Woods Da Yooper

Zephyr Woods Oh Sweet Pea

Zephyr Woods Stella Bella

And more obvious from last year

Zephyr Woods Sailors Phenomenon

Zephyr Woods Zephs Bonus Archer

Zephyr Woods Russian Czar

I have two, great grand daughters of Buckeroo. One was born here and I didn't name her with any indications to her G grandsire. Too far back. I bought a half sister by the same stallion, again making her a g grand daughter. That farm named her Buckeroo's Champaign Delight. I don't think they should have done that, but that is alright. I just wouldn't do it.

Just a question why do yous not recognize the grandfathers or great grandfathers and so on and so on.

The blood line is what it means a line of heritage. What if people stopped using the name than what happens?

Reble... the names and titles of the horses are there, in the pedigree. You can see that on the papers. The horses' names just don't have to include reference to that... the horse should be enough of it's own merit to make it's own name.

Andrea

I personally don't do it- in fact i am not one to ever really name a horse after it's sire or dam- not saying there is anything wrong with it or not just not something I personally like to do

there are tons of horses out there with buck of some sort or another I just prefer my names to be a bit different

I agree, and not meaning to be picking on Buckeroo but I think that his name been "bucked to death" already

I don't really care to see the "Famous" name thrown in there unless it's a son/daughter, and MAYBE a grandson or granddaughter.

I particularly dislike when the famous is tossed in there as an afterthought as in it doesn't make sense it's just "there" (seeming like leaving it out or another word entirely would sound and seem more right).

for example "XYZ Cute Lil Komoko Flash" just seems like they're trying to play up something that's questionable anyway.

As we all know, not every horse from every "Famous" farm is worthy of being reproduced, let alone memorialized with reference on into eternity with a nod to that farm name.

I did name my son of "Buckin' Incredible" (I like his name even though he was only a grandson, he was a triple-bred Buckeroo stallion) "Buckin' the Tide" for many reasons. I wasn't really trying to play up the Buckeroo lineage, it just fit everything that happened at the time he was born, his sire's name and his color (silver buckskin).

That's the only one I've put a famous name into, or reference to one, but to me, that could just as well be something else.

Anyway, it gets tiring to me, but some instances work well. When it's well thought out and the horse is a good representative of that lineage (I would rather see reference to an individual horse than a farm name, personally), I don't mind at all.

Liz

My example...

Sire: Samis Figure De Banana

Son: Llawen Fleetwood Figure (i owned)

Grandson: Country Charms Fleetwood Glory (i bred)

Grandson: Country Charms Fleetwodd Jazz

if he ever had a foal i would use Glory or Jazz thats the way i do it
default_smile.png
so you can follow the names back but each horse carries on his own name. Maybe corney or boring but i like it
default_smile.png

Another example of my naming...

Sire: Copper Magic Of little Ridge

Son: Honeybourne Copper Sensation (i owned)

Granddaughter: (only foal no colt) Country Charms Spotless Sensation (i bred)

It can depend on how famous the famous is. Buckeroo, Rowdy type names are like starting your own soda company and using Pepsi or Coke in the name - it better be a product of theirs or closely related! I would only use the 'famous' name for sons/daughters or a double/triple bred grandget.

As a pedigree junkie, I find it fascinating the names people use, but its often the case that the name only means something to that specific breeder.

I do like a hint at the relationship if it's worth noting but that's more of a marketing preference - A gorgeous look-alike Rowdy son named Rowdy's Carbon Copy would catch my eye in an ad over XYZ's Precious. Certain ranch names have the same effect. I know when I hear Brewers or NFC or Komokos what to envision or what lines to expect to see in a pedigree - may not always be true, but their are general trends.

I still think (and figure most of us agree) that the breeder should pretty much use whatever name they want for a horse they name. One thing I do think is that sometimes, you really do see "Buckeroo" on down through his grandget and great grandget. In my opinion, very prepotent for certain traits. But, again, breeders choice -- whatever makes them smile.

Latest posts

Back