Your Opinion is Wanted

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoRebel

Reaction score
He was born June 18, 2006. He's the first foal that we've had on the farm and he's out of a mare that's very special to us.... Now I think that it's high time that he's weaned off of mom and gets to be with the other colt that we purchased that was weaned when we picked him up. My mom's exact words about this subject are, "I'm not ready to wean him yet and nobody's seen him try to mount Frosty (his momma) so there's no need to wean him!"

Like I said, I think it's high time he's weaned and gets to be with the other colts and not with mom and the mares. I would like some opinions on this as we're new to the whole breeding and having foals thing. I know that when my mom asked for advice from her friend that had arab foals, she said that she didn't wean till they were 8 - 12 months old. I think that's awful late to be weaning... but that was her opinion and she had a colt but he was gelded around that time also....

So, PLEASE give your opinions... I am going to be showing my mom this topic as a way to come to a conclusion wether to wean or not to wean....

Thanks Much for the help!

Personally yes I would be weaning him. Nutritionally they get nothing from there dams after 3 months. We tend to wean ours anywhere from 3-6 months depending on foal and mom. Normally the later weaned foals are our foals we show. THey are less stressed when with mom.

HOwever the longer you wait the more it will pull the dam down. Plus I recommend doing it now before it gets any colder. THat way he will adjust now. If you wait until it gets cold he will stress and go through everything when he should be useing that energy to stay warm, instead he will be working and loseing it more when he really needs to keep it.

Is he ready to wean, physically and mentally? How much foal creep feed is he eating? How much hay? How dependent on mom is he? I know he's roughly 5 months old, but some are and some aren't ready to wean at that time.

I haven't had any mini foals, but have raised a few stock horse foals (AQHA and APHA). Three years ago, I had two foals born, they were born 1 day apart (the colt was first). When the colt 4.5 months old, I sold his dam and he was weaned; he was more than ready or I wouldn't have sold the mare at that time. The filly was not ready to be weaned yet, she was still emotionally attached to her dam. After about another month, then the filly was ready to be weaned, I pulled her dam and left the two foals together for the winter (as soon as it was warm enough, I gelded the colt).

most large horse breeders I know don't wean earlier then 6 months and really 3-4 months is almost unheard of again at the large horse farms I know of .

I have weaned as early as 5 months and had one filly who self weaned herself at about 15 months. Both her and her dam are more then fine and really to be honest.. If I am keeping any fillies that is just what I will do from now on as long as the dams and handling things just fine

but yes I think that 5-7 months is old enough if you choose to!

I never go less than four months and I usually go longer.

It is as important for me to have them emotionally healthy and sound as it is physically, as they get a LOT out of being with their mothers, even when they are almost totally independent.

Liz M.

This time of year I like them off and on grain- I feed my weanling's a lot- I have just weaned my last colt who is a month younger than yours- he is as happy as larry- did not call for Mama once.

His dam is going potty- I have them in adjoining stalls and he goes out with the other foals in the day and she goes in the round pen and squeaks and shouts all day whilst he, who is still in sight, grazes!!

I though she was ready to give him up- she is FURIOUS with me!!

Oh well, it's done now and she will be back with the brood mares by the end of the week.

Once the grass has turned there is nothing for the foal in the mares milk so no reason to leave them on.

I have weaned late foals even earlier- normally I agree 100% with not earlier than four months but the end of the year foals are different- them I do wean early.

I would wean him at this time or very soon.

We had a similar situation here. I bought two weanling fillies this year, but one I also bought with her mom. This one that came with (still on) her mom was born on 6/1. The other was born in April and was weaned before she got here. I let the younger one stay on her mom for about a month after she got here so she could settle in well and she was weaned about 5 weeks ago. She was a little over 4mos when I weaned her.

With foals I raised from birth, I had one I had to wean at 3mos since she was pulling her dam down so much, and another I didn't wean really until he was almost a year old! He would only nurse for comfort and he wasn't for sale so I didn't see the need. If I had it to do over, though, I'd have weaned him way earlier. I think he was physically and emotionally ready for that step long before I took it. He's now coming 4yo and is back in with his mom and other horses. He and his mom have a very strong bond still and I love seeing them with each other (just not nursing -- though the first thing he did when I put him back in with his mom this summer was to "check under the hood" to see if he could have milk!!!!!!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wean my babies right next to their Moms, they can see each other and touch

noses but the babies have NEVER been able to nurse off their Moms (that is

until this year) Little Karat Gold's Mom who is Tiffet stands by the fence

and she comes over and lines up in a certain way and Karat takes a couple

of swigs of milk and then goes on to play with the other weanlings. Karat is

the only foal I've ever seen do this and believe me she has it down pat. So

far I'm ignoring it because I can't see where it is hurting either one -

guess it is just a comfort thing.

I used to always hate the weaning time because I know how difficult it is to

lose a child - since I have started weaning this way, I love it - no stress.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - you may want to start the babies

all on probiotics to help alleviate any ulcers.

Have a good Thanksgiving!! I just got the turkey in the oven-I'm so excited :aktion033: - all our kids

but one will be home today.

Rabbit I have to say I am surprised you are such an advocate for leaving them as natural as possible I would have thought you would have weaned them later

Thanks for all the opinions. I am going to start weaning the babies today. I think I am going to put the colts out with my stud, jack and yearling colt. I am going to leave the 2 fillies with the mares but the dams are going out with the big horses since that's were they were before they foaled out. The dams and foals will still be able to see each other but I think it will be good to just do this whole thing cold turkey :lol: Speaking of cold turkey.... hehehe.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

Latest posts

Back