When/How to wean a colt from mama

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrettyPonies

Reaction score
So I know I’m thinking a bit into the future but my mare had a colt Friday morning, and I’m planning on keeping him. How would I go about weaning him (in a few month) if I’m keeping him and I don’t have separate paddocks?

You will need to make a new paddock. Or send one of them away for a month or so. I just got a couple round pen panels so I could separate my last foal from her momma. It was pretty low stress because they could still see each other, she just couldn't nurse.

Okay I do have a round pen, so I will use that then, I just wasn’t sure if it was ok for them to see each other. Thank you!

Most people like to separate them so they can't see or hear each other. It's quicker that way. But if you just stop him from nursing until her milk dries up it works. How long depends on how tolerant your mare is. If she is still letting him try to nurse it hasn't been long enough.

Don't forget, you'll need him gelded before returning him to the same paddock as his mother, or he may breed her. As long as his jewels are down, he can be gelded; I know of a few breeders that geld while the colt is still nursing, as it's less stressful for the colt. [After 9 months of age, if still intact, he'll need to be separated from her, until he is gelded. With miniatures, some don't drop until 3 years old.]

I'm the voice of dissent about weaning. Why are you wanting to wean him in a few months? It's really no necessary to wean unless you are selling him, have to give mom back if she is on a lease or mom can't keep enough weight on. He will be much better adjusted if you let them stay together. Gelding is easier on him if she is there for comfort, as he gets older they will be more comfortable with being away from each other and will naturally separate more. If you just want him not nursing, which again she will take care of when she's ready, it works really well to put a grazing muzzle on him with the end hole cut really big, he can eat easily but not nurse and she will dry up.

I know someone who bought a 9 year old horse that was still nursing from his mom. A mare will usually wean the foal herself if she is re-bred, but otherwise I think it's easier on the mare to do it at some point. The grazing muzzle is a good idea but I'm not sure you can keep it on him nonstop for that long.

I wouldn’t take him away at all. I’ve had only 3 births on my property they all weaned themselves at normal times and I kept all 3 babies, never took them away from their mom. Only one was a colt he weaned himself completely by one years old with the help of mom letting him know enough is enough, had him gelded at a year old as well. You’ll hear stories of babies “nursing for years” those are rarities nature works just like the wild horses & donkeys do.

To me it’s truly a case by case scenario. I wean mine based on a variety of factors. How is the mares condition? If she’s starting to drop weight and the foal is old enough I go ahead and wean. How is the foal eating? If it’s old enough and eating well, the milk ends up being more of a comfort thing at a certain age. If I’m planning on showing, I may wean earlier so they are okay apart. If I’m breeding back I wean earlier so the dam can focus on growing the baby and not feeding a “kid.” If the colt is already dropped and acting studdy and I can’t/don’t plan on gelding then I will wean earlier to prevent the colt breeding his own dam back. Whatever the case I like for the foal to bond with another foal preferably or at least another horse and then I gradually wean. Like nights apart with its buddy. Then a few extra hrs during the day. Then sharing a fence line so they can still see each other but not nurse. Once the mare dries up, if the foal is a filly or a colt that’s gelded, I’ll often put it back with the dam just because of the bond. My filly is 4.5 months old and I’ve not started to wean yet. But she is only really nursing for comfort now. Whenever she gets upset she nurses. I don’t see her nurse much anymore even though the dam is more than willing. She’s holding her weight well so I haven’t started the weaning process. I don’t see a huge reason to allow the foal to nurse up to a year and over. Then it truly is just for comfort. I’ve actually seen a picture of a mare who was nursing her mature daughter who was in turn nursing her own foal. That’s just MY opinion, which is one of many and all are valid. There are many “right” ways to do it. As long as it’s not detrimental to either I don’t see why any way is considered wrong.

Back