Your Mentors?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I said it before the first time we did this thread but it's worth repeating ... Jim and Mary Frazier of Blue Blazes have been my mentors since I first stepped foot in their barn
default_yes.gif
: .

Last edited by a moderator:
My mentors were the entired founding membership of the Cajun Country Miniature Horse Club. That whole club became an extended family and they helped with every aspect of learning about horses.

When I first got my first mini, I knew nothing. They taught me everything from halter training, conformation, breeding and daily care. The club even brought in guest speakers at our meetings. It was a great introduction.

I would like to personally thank for their contribution:

Shelley Braud

Christy Darmond

Gene and Judy Burns

Thad and Markay Denham

Sue Westbrook (for all her help with youth activities)

Brenda Hebert

Thanks Susan for your post and Cammie for your appreciation of Lauren.

I would definitely have to say that my mentors were Vern Brewer and my dad, Wayne Greaves.

I would have to say I actually have 2 mentors, Ann Simmons of Seahorse Farm, and Nancy Houghton of Woodstock North. They are both the greatest and will answer any questions...both have taught me so much! Corinne

Ours was definately Rita Jenkins of Weeokie farm. She taught us everything we know and tho you never stop learning she definately got us off to a great start! Rita - Thanks for the guidance and friendship over the years. Sheila
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thank you, Sheila! I always feel that education is the most important thing we as breeders can do, especially with newcomers. I'm glad to pass on any knowledge I have, and also quick to ask when I have a question. Poor Charlotte, I'm always bugging her.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

When I first got started, I had a vet who was very willing to teach me, now almost 20 years later, I'm still with him. My mini horse person mentor was Vickie (then Menefee) Roberson, Rocking M. What a great friend she has been during the years.

Rita

Thanks Gage (Palomino) :)

You know I have enjoyed getting to know you, and watching your love for minis these past few years. I wish you nothing but the best in your pursuit of your own little herd and farm!

Susan O.

I have two. First of which is my mother/father. I would not be where I am today without them.

The second is Bonnie Fogg. Ever since I started showing she has been there to offer help and imput. Even in the ring before we knew each other. She has such a way with animals!

Karen,
default_wub.png
:

You are pretty darn amazing all on your own!!!

But thank you so much you made me cry again!

default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

Karens mother Diana (Crescendo Acres) is another amazing wonderful giving person whom I am honored to call a friend.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

default_smile.png
my mentor would have to be my best friend corrine ermis . she is my friend , midwife and vet all rolled into one and i,m so glad i have the privlage to know such a giving and understanding person. missy

My mentor is Angie Sauer of Buck On Ranch!! She has been wonderful, answering my unending questions and walking me through all my shows last year. I am so grateful for all she has done for me!! Thank you Angie
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I just wanted to add: My very best friend is Christy Searle of CNC Minis. We talk everything over with eachother and we can have different opinions without hurting eachother's feelings... That is a priceless thing in a friendship. So Thank you to Christy!!

And another couple I would like to thank is Dave and Sandy Paris of Burning Daylight Ranch. They are the cutest couple and so much fun to do things with. We wouldn't be able to function at the shows without Sandy's organization!! And Dave always has a smile and an encouraging word for everyone he meets. You guys are the best!!

My Mentors would be :

Rod and Heather Hart of Meadowind Farms

Rod was wonderful in all the information on what to look for in a miniature horse.

Excellent people to buy from and hubby would love to drive a 8 team hitch like Rod someday.

Thanks for all your help in buying our first 3 registered horses. :aktion033:

Reble is my first call for every animal question I have.

She can come up with some possible answers...we always have the vet in the back of our minds, but she has helped me a lot in so many ways.

Good common sense and a lot of experience, and experiences.

She's a mentor and a friend
default_yes.gif
:

I would have to say Donna of QtrRae's Mystic Minis, she has a way with horses that others would have given up on and put down. I have seen her turn them around from death's door and amaze even the vets with their recovery. I have also gotten good advice from Marnie of Sunset Ridge and, of course, the members of this forum!! :aktion033: Thank you ALL.

Joanne Ross of Scott Creek, has been there since nearly day one of my involvement with minis, and I've really only "bought" a breeding from her (likely at no profit due to the complications involved and she was wonderful all the way through).

She shares knowledge and has so much that I doubt I could ever store that much in MY brain. So glad she lets me borrow hers.

Kim Schult and her daughter Hilary, of the Crabby Chicken Ranch. They have a nice balance in ethics as well as a good eye for quality and potential, it's just natural for them. Kim helped me decide which stallion to use to get my mare, Lailah, when I was wavering, she saw something I didn't and voila, now I Have my beautiful girl, my best broodmare, so I feel like she sorta "belongs" to Kim in some way anyway (haha that's in my will, Kim, you get Lailah and all her princessly high maintenance antics, though she's not "smart" she likes to be appreciated).

I could likely go on and on and on and on, but another person that helped me a lot back when I first had minis was Nancy Rivenburgh, and she helped me form an education on dwarfism in Miniature Horses in an unbiased way, and a way that makes real sense. She also helped steer me clear of unethical breeders back when I was buying horses for my little "herd." Now I know in hindsight what she said was absolutely true while she did not say anything malicious, either. (My own experience proved her exactly right).

These listed, there are mentors galore on this board and I look up to many of you, or maybe we should say "look over at" because I feel we are all equal in our ability to offer something valuable or another perspective. Taken or not, advice to me is without price, it is essential for me to feel I am pursuing my goals properly.

Liz M.

I guess my first would be Birdmom, I just kinda came into her life on accident and never left her alone. She got me started with my showing. There have been many others along the way. Every where I go I try to pick brains and take notes on alot of people to get ideas on how to do othings.

Shelley<><

I am so happy this topic was started just so I can give credit publicly to Curt and Pam Ford of Fayetteville, AR.
default_yes.gif
: They have been with my family since we started showing horses about 12 years ago. They have taught us all everything from start to finish with our show horses. They have always been there when I freak out over a horse with a hang hoof to the death of one of our horses. Thank you both so much for always and I mean ALWAYS being there for us. :bgrin

Deb Harper, Pat Goodliffe and Cathy Degelder, these are all people who have helped me with my love for minis! They are all awesome!

Latest posts

Back