Your Mentors?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Who are your mentors in miniature horses?

One of mine is no secret -- Erica Killion. She's been such a good advisor and I am very proud of the horses we have from her and with her. There have been some big changes in our herd over the past couple of years and she deserves a lot of the credit for where there's been improvement.

Another mentor for me in horses and also how I "think" about them and showing is our own Vertical Limit / Carol. She is extremely knowledgeable and accomplished. I appreciate her way of saying it like it is!

Who are your mentors?

Well Jill right now...Mine would be Edwina DeLisa of Equiterra Sporthorse Center. She may not own minis but she knows what she's talking about. I owe her my upcoming wins to her..

Sorry I had to edit..missed a word

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know if she is aware of it, but I consider my mentor to be Monette Freeman of Wisteria Mini Horse Ranch. Since "meeting" Mo (over the internet, via emails, phone calls) her knowledge has GREATLY improved my "eye" and has raised the bar when it comes to my expectations for what a quality show/breeding mini looks like. The quality of my herd is steadily improving and I have Mo to thank for that!

Well Kay of course
default_smile.png

She was nice enough to kind of 'take me under her wing' last year. I was really new to showing and didnt know anyone, it was nice to have someone who i knew at the shows and to explain everything to me. She has so much patience. She even allowed me to purchase the performance gelding that you can only dream of. If i can ever be half as good with horses as she is or have a breeding program half as nice as hers i would be one happy young lady.
default_yes.gif
:

Their are allot of people who have given me advice or i have just chatted with at shows ext but Kay has just gone out of her way.

Karen Wales is also one of a kind, i could just chat for hours with that woman. Getitia was nice enough to help me out a little last season as well.

How on earth could i forget Linda (LGahr)! She is my 'big horse' mentor i would say. That lady knows big horses like none other. She knows all the tricks, i just love her. She's new to minis and i'm new to big horses so we're both kind of mentoring each other lol.

A girl just couldnt ask for much more
default_smile.png
default_wub.png
:

When it comes to medical issues and foaling out, it would have to be Larry and Joanne Ross.

MA

I would have to say the forum plays a big part in mentoring me ....i read read and read again, i usually do a search rather than ask straight out, and if i cannot get an answer, then i usually get the right advise on here

Voodoo {kera} has helped me, as has Jill,and and Rabbbitsfizz, and a big thank you to all of you that have helped with out even knowing it
default_rolleyes.gif
:

i have met some wonderful people on here that will be friends for life on here
default_wub.png
:

and of course my best friend Joanne, who is there to make me laugh when we both are learning together some things
default_wink.png
:

its hard to believe how people can be friends without even meeting :bgrin

Tami Melby at Triple K Miniatures in North Dakota. Tami is the most helpful person - she has helped me more than anyone else in the miniature breed. She has so much knowledge and is so willing to share with other miniature enthusiasts.

Tony Greaves, without a doubt.

Susan O.

Mostly Donna (QtrRae), Marnie and Lisa (Runaway Ranch) have been my mentors. Each of them have been mentors in different ways... I definately lean on Donna a bit more then Marnie and Lisa, I like all of them and they all tell me what I need to know without candy coating it. But, like most, the forum plays a huge part in my life with minis. Thank you all for the mentorship!
default_yes.gif
:

For me my mini mentors and a few of my really good friends, Marsha Kenley (Bended Knee Farm

http://www.geocities.com/bendedkneefarm), Susan Oberg(Hilliard horse-to-hug http://www.allwest.com/hhh) Peggy DuCharme (Mini Persuasions farm), Tami Hedges, Laurie Porter(cattail cottage minis

http://www.geocities.com/cattailcottageminis). I have a few people through the internet that I ask questions once in a while... But those 5 are the ones that I go to there farms or they come here and they teach me so much!

Some other people I look up to are Erica (Ericas tiny trotters) I think she does such an amazing job with her horses and has GORGEOUS nice horses... I hope to someday own one of her horses... Another is Little King Farm... there are alot of breeding farms out there I respect and would love to own horses of theirs! I am also looking foward to meeting Lori Lancaster this year and I think she has beautifull horses! I have seen her at shows and her horses at shows but this year I hope to actually meet her! Another is Janet Hayes Of Windemere Farm! She is just a sweet lady and I hope to meet her someday!

And alot others! I just cant think of all of them all right now!

Gage

He probably doesn't even know my name, since for years I was just the little snot taking my family's horses into the costume classes, but I think Len Huff and his wife are an inspiration. They sold my grandparents the mare that produced our first homebred stallion, he mentored our trainer of several years, and twenty years later they got our neighbors started with minis. I was at their farm a couple years ago, and the mutual love and respect between them and their horses is amazing.

I have 2....

Robin (REO) has been so helpful to me by looking over potential horse purchases of mine. She has a wonderful eye for confirmation and gets my head back on straight when I just love a horse's color. As she often says, picture a plain brown horse..... Thank You, Robin!!
default_wub.png
:

The other person who has been helpful to me is Barbara from KnightHawke Miniatures here in WV. She has helped me when my horses had medical issues, helped pick out both my stallions and has so much knowledge about horses and minis. Thank You, Barb!!!
default_wub.png
:

Well for conformation, politics, nutrition, photography, all those kinds of things of the equine industry, it would be my mom (Becky - Redrock) and Uncle Frank and Aunt Cha (Charlote - Reflections) cause they've all been around horses for, Forever
default_smile.png
hehe, and had lots of varieties of experiences.

For showing and such, its my family and all the people that I see at almost every show and who have been supportive ome through the years and always encourage me.

And theres MANY people my age (or a couple years younger) that I showed with in the Youth and now as an Amateur that I look up to - like Krystle Acton, Lauren Greaves, etc.

I only hope someday I can help one person like all these people have helped and/or been there for me.

Stacy Score of Mountain Meadows Miniatures, without a doubt. She has shaped the way I view Miniatures over the years. If I have a question about anything, Stacy has the background and the information. She encourages me and educates me. She took me along to Nationals in 2005 as a helper, and I learned so much. I will always be grateful to Stacy for all she has done and continues to do for me. :D :aktion033:

Horse Wise. Sandy
default_wub.png
: "lilfoot" . She does SO much for my 4H friends and I I could never list them all. We go to 13 shows a year tons of events parades . Her weekends are spent with us . We're at her farm from 8 am to 10pm And occasional Sleepovers on summer days and someone is usually there every night. She opens her heart and farm to us and without her what would I do!? I wouldve never met Wee Man I cant even imagine :eek: She leases out almost everyone of her horse sot one of us youth . We are spoiled
default_wub.png
: Jeeze I could ramble on forever but Sandy your amazing!!

I have two. First of which is my mother/father. I would not be where I am today without them.

The second is Bonnie Fogg. Ever since I started showing she has been there to offer help and imput. Even in the ring before we knew each other. She has such a way with animals!

Mine would have to be Ann Linze and her Mother--Joyce Pierson. What these two know about horses is amazing. Both were on horses before they could even walk and for Joyce, that is more than 70 years. Anytime we have a problem, they usually have and answer or will try to find one. They have helped us learn how to raise, train,feed and drive. I have learned that when I ask them something, they will tell me--whether I like it or not.
default_yes.gif
:

Well for conformation, politics, nutrition, photography, all those kinds of things of the equine industry, it would be my mom (Becky - Redrock) and Uncle Frank and Aunt Cha (Charlote - Reflections) cause they've all been around horses for, Forever
default_smile.png
hehe, and had lots of varieties of experiences.

For showing and such, its my family and all the people that I see at almost every show and who have been supportive ome through the years and always encourage me.

And theres MANY people my age (or a couple years younger) that I showed with in the Youth and now as an Amateur that I look up to - like Krystle Acton, Lauren Greaves, etc.

I only hope someday I can help one person like all these people have helped and/or been there for me.

[/quoteay]

Just wanted you to know that you have helped two kids a great deal with your knowledge of showmanship. Ashley and Nate Have both learned alot from you and we greatly appreciate it. See you at the annual mtg. Peg Balthazor

Latest posts

Back