Your best advice for the Stomach Flu...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverDollar

Reaction score
What a tough way to spend Thanksgiving. I have had the stomach flu since Wednesday afternoon, and all the yuckiness that goes with it.
default_sad.png
I am on the upswing, though still very weak and in bed. I can finally keep little bits of food down but I have no appetite and still feel nauseous. The only things I have managed to stomach are saltine crackers and plain rice. My husband brought me some Pedialyte to get my electrolytes in balance, but I am at a loss as to what else to try to eat. I know the B-R-A-T diet (bananas-rice-applesauce-toast); I had two bites of banana (yuck) and prefer saltines to toast. Nothing sounds appetizing.

Does anyone have their own ideas and remedies that help when they're sick like this? I haven't been this sick since I was a kid!

Thanks in advance.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Sorry you are down with the flu......that totally sucks especially at Thanksgiving.

The only couple ideas I have for you are 1., for nausea.....try some coke or pepsi that has gone flat........sometimes that settles the stomach. Just pour a little bit in a cup & sip it slowly...... I am a big fan of ginger ale also.... ginger helps with motion sickness, so I think the ginger ale can help with the stomach as well.

Also, we used to drink warm jello......not set up......just mix some up and drink it while it's still warm.....not sure but it sometimes stayed down as well.

I have never been a big fan of applesauce......not sure, but apples tend to upset my stomach more than not.......crackers, graham crackers even, may help....or even vanilla pudding?

Just don't get dehydrated.....drink little sips of water if nothing else.........

I sure hope you get to feeling better really soon, sorry you are sick.

I am sorry you've been sick!

Would pudding or icecream / milk shake be something you could tolerate?

I haven't been sick like that in about 8 years. I remember when I was, my brother in law had had it and that's who I got it from. He said it lasted 24 hours. As I lay on the bathroom floor, I thought how I could not live through 24 hours of feeling like I did (God, please take me now). That's how I really felt. Then I tried to get up (was laying on the floor naked). Hurting all over. My back had like suction cupped to the bathroom tile!!! As awful as I felt, I still was thinking "okay, one day I'm going to realize this is funny..."...

Hope you're feeling better and that you didn't get suction cupped to your bathroom floor!!!

don't roll yer eyes Hun, but if you've amethyst put it on, if you've a stone hold it, I had it too a while back and well..you know me and the stones..amethyst is great and do drink lots of water.

So sorry you've been ill. I'd just like to caution you to avoid things that stop the "flow" so to speak like Pepto or Kaopectate. The doctors we spoke to about our own bout with this "bug" said that really only fights the body's natural defense system to get rid of what's causing the stomach problem, whether it be up or down, the body has to fight what's causing the illness and to stop that only counteracts the positive effect.

HOWEVER, if you feel at all inclined to take any of our advice, I'd urge you to speak with a doctor or call a med help line to be certain you don't need to see a physician.

Liz

As someone with a lifetime history of 'random' gastrointestinal upsets, I can offer a few tips....

When you are REALLY having trouble keeping anything down, but need to stay hydrated, try sucking on ice chips (I've been hospitalized for dehydration a couple of times, due to nausea/vomiting/etc. that just wouldn't stop!). The medication "compazine" is very helpful; I finally got my Dr. to give me an Rx so I have some on hand; I do only take some if I get nauseated and the nausea just won't subside, however.)

Ginger ale IS good stuff; ginger supposedly has a 'calming' effect on the stomach. Like any liquid when you have gastric upset, SMALL sips, and not too cold, is best. Since I never have 'real' Coke around anymore, I haven't tried it in years, but as I recall, it did 'seem' to help--allowed to go flat, and served not TOO cold.

Saltines are also the best to start with, when able to take in solids. BLAND soups, such as chicken and rice, can also be good.

It's generally best to avoid cream soups, milk and milk products, and most juices-apple, orange, tomato, etc. -most of which are ACIDIC, so not the best for an upset system! Once you are 'on the mend', then you can gradually introduce these kind of things back into your diet. Once you begin to feel better, you may be ravenously hungry, but be careful about 'overfilling' your system for awhile!

Good luck; hope you feel better soon...NOTHING is as debilitating as nausea, vomiting, and all that usually goes with it, IMO!

Margo

I agree about the Ginger Ale.........and crackers......... And when ever I "throw up", I always drink some water after.

When I don't have crackers, I take a few bites of bread instead. (I feel for you! Hope you are feeling better soon!)

Oh, and if no Ginger Ale available......Sprite or 7-up will do, but not as well.

Thank you everyone for your advice. The nausea is subsiding and I am working on adding some good old chicken soup today. Margo, you are absolutely right about overfilling--it's tempting but I really can only have little bits at a time. Ice chips have sustained me for three days. Liz, I hear you about not stopping the "flow". I definitely did not do that since I believe that it's best to get the bug out quickly. The worst is drinking water when you know it's just going to come back up.
default_wacko.png
I think I'll be able to avoid the doctor this time.

I can totally relate to your story, Jill! The first 24 hours were AWFUL! My husband knew I was really sick because I pulled the little bathroom rug right up to the toilet to make myself comfortable. That does sound pretty funny about being suctioned to the floor! Our floors are way too cold for that.

I suppose the silver lining is that I am down a few pounds before the holiday season, though I wouldn't recommend this weight loss "method".
default_wink.png

Rebecca

(P.S.-I did put on my favorite sweatshirt, which just happens to be amethyst in color, and I found an amethyst stone to hold onto. Whatever it takes!
default_smile.png
)

Latest posts

Back