Yet another blanketing question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
I have been looking at several different miniature blankets, thanks to your advice. However, I notice that many miniature blankets have velcro closures on the front of the blanket in the chest area. It has been drilled into my head since I was a child that you should never, ever, ever unfasten the front of a blanket until the rest of the hardware is undone as it may slip back and the belly strap or leg straps would get into the horse's flank area causing a potential problem.

My concern is that the velcro, after a bit of use, would get less sticky and may undo on it's own. It that were to happen, the blanket would slip back and then I'd have the problem I mentioned above. So, my question is, how reliable is the velcro on the chest of the blanket? Have any of you had the velcro fail? If you have, about how long did you use the blanket before this became and issue? I hate to sound like a paranoid new mom, but I just want everything to be safe and comfortable for our new boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used both the strap and the velcro and both held well. I've never had the velcro work loose.

I have had really good luck with velcro closings on a horse stalled alone. In a crowd it is another story.... The horses love to pull the velcro loose on each others blankets, I think they like the noise!
default_rolleyes.gif
Can't tell you how many times I've found blakets on the ground. Hence, I choose the buckle type front and belly simply because many that get blanketed at our farm are together.

The schneiders blankets do have that problem, the velcro just goes around the chest over one side of the blanket. My kensington and supreme equine design blankets I have the opposite problem, I have to fight with the velcro to get it undone.

The Schneiders are the only ones I have had problems with as well I started putting a sheet over the top of them. I have one blanket that I love that a local person makes that has a double velcro closure so even if they manage to get the first one the second one is almost impossible to get!

I have one Schneider's on my "old man" and we have no problems. Over the last 5 years either it shrunk or he got fatter as it doesn't fit as well as it did new but it stays on him.

I have one I made with velcro strips for my mare and she will not leave it on. First she hates to have anything covering her so be it blanket, sheet, or whatever she WORKS to get it off. The only thing that I have found that she cannot remove is one that buckles in front and has a full belly wrap to hold it on. She has wriggled out of sheet that have double belly fastners. The sheet ends up on the floor with the fastners still closed. Should have named her Houdini.

I think the Supreme blankets & sheets have industrial strength velcro LOL. It's all I can do sometimes to pull it open and I've never had it lose its stick - although some horses have an obsession with undoing it.

Jan

I have had SEVERAL horses that can take off their own velcro. I had some problems with shavings and hair getting stuck after a while, too... but well-made blankets do have pretty sturdy velcro if the horse isn't too hard on it otherwise.

Eventually, I just would only buy the closed-front blankets because of horses taking them off and freezing overnight. Sheesh. Can't reason with horses!

Andrea

The way I was taught to take off a blanket (and it may not be right) was;Always tie your horse up first or put in cross ties then, Take off leg straps, unbuckle the front, Release the center strap. Fold the back of the blanket forward. Fold the front part of the blanket back. Now that it is is thirds across the horses back lift the blanket off of the horse. To put it back on; place the blanket in thirds across the horses back. Fold the front forward and buckle in the normal place for that horse. Fold the back of the blanket into place. Fasten the center strap. then the leg straps. I would never take a blanket off of a horse that is not tied or an assistant holding the horse. Just what I was taught on the track.

My little hooligan figured out today how to pull a blanket off her . The blanket came off exactly how she watched me put it on...everything buckled and slipped over her head, but in reverse order .
default_wacko.png
If your worried about a blanket spooking the horse and causing problems i would have a "blanket de spooking "training day .
default_wub.png
however Horses will always find a way to make a non scary moment into a life or death situation ...like velcro hanging off their chest, or touching their belly.
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back