Yesterday I saw a fox

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anita

Reaction score
All is around fenced with 5 feet non climb, barb wire on top and bottom.

Yesterday, I didn't trust my eyes, a big fox.! Horses didn't run were quiet and looked at him. My husband got his emergency equipement went in the direction, fox run back in the woods.

An hour later fox came back again crossed pasture and went in other direction out.

It seems I have no other chance and need to get him.

Anyone experience with fox?

Anita

Had an experience - one ran across my pen and Mercy and Freedom were hot on his tail... Mercy does not tolerate dogs, fox, etc. in our pens... at another farm she pinned a Rottie to a corner and gave him both double barrels repeatedly. He did not bother her again.

My neighbor's dog tried once...he doesn't come back either. Mercy is nasty about it - will rear and strike down at dogs (including my own) and thinks nothing of chasing them away. Not that I trust dogs or fox but a single one does not have a fighting chance against my girls - they behave defensively as a herd.

A pack is something different altogether...I do not have experience with that. We do have a pack of coyotes in the neighborhood but they choose to go after the deer in the yard they frequent. My 20 gauge is always ready for action, though.

Denise

Silversong Farm

A fox alone will not hurt the horses. The only time it would attack is if it became rabid. They keep the rabbit population down and eat mice and the chicken that crosses the road would be dinner too. They are not pack animals. Worry about stray dogs not foxes.

We have fox around here all the time. They get to within feet of the horses. The horses just look at them, and don't bother at all. The fox never bother the horses, and the horses seem to be OK about them, so they must be used to seeing them often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your respond it helped a lot. In Ca we dealt with coyotes and Mountainlions they were shy just watched and have never seen a big cat.

But not across the pasture close to horses. I was scared to death and fear about a rabies.

Mona, you are right no reation from the horses it seems they are used to them or used to our dogs outside the fence.

Anita

If you have chickens, then you should worry about a fox. Otherwise, it won't be a problem.

They are not pack animals and they eat rodents and other small animals (like chickens - LOL)

Since WE don't have chickens, I wouldn't mind having a fox around to take care of some of our rock chucks!

MA

We use to have a pair here. Every year they and there babies would play in the and by the horses. THey never cared. They were fun to watch as well. Then the neighbors moved in and they left. Mom sure like them around, sure ment less rabbits. Now mom gets out the gun on the rabbits...............I hide in doors when I am there. :new_shocked: That said we do have some monsterus rabbits(they are like flimish gaint sized) so wouldnt mind seeing a few less of them.

Lots of fox around here, most pretty healthy. They love rodents and unfortunately barn cats. The dog will set himself up behind a hill amd make a strange bark, the cats get curious and become supper! The only danger to horses from fox is mange or rabies.

the last place we lived before our move we disconvered that a fox had taken up residence near by.

We made the discovery during the winter, we saw it come up to the heated water tank for a drink.

We saw it numerous times and a few right in the middle of a group of horses at the water. The horses didn't mind a bit. I worried about whatever diseases it could be carrying, but it was not a physical threat to the horses. By the time I saw it it had probably been going on for a while considering how comfortable the horses were. By spring when the weather warmed up we didn't see it again.

We've had foxes here for years; for nearly 10 years they weren't a problem, then 6 or 7 years ago they started stealing cats. The first one that got a cat was hit by a car 2 weeks later; a neighbor finished him off with his .22. Since then we've had problems with several different foxes coming into the yard to try and steal cats. They've grabbed a few cats, but except for that first one that got stolen our dog has rescued the cat each time. If a fox comes around we get a neighbor to take his gun & eliminate it. No worries about the foxes and the horses except for the possibility that a fox could be rabid, but if it wants to come & steal cats then it is a dead fox. We haven't had a fox problem since a neighbor a mile & some down the road started putting out dog food at the fox den on her property--I guess they stay home & eat dry food rather than bothering to go hunting. Suits us just fine!

No experience with a fox but the coyotes are starting to worry me.

We've had allot of people around here stopping and telling us they have about hit or seen coyotes around here late at night, they know we have miniatures. The other night i ran out to my car around 9pm to get my purse and it was just starting to snow really heavy at that time. I came in the house and started watching the new. 10 minutes after i came inside from the car i went to check outback to make sure the doors on the barn were closed and right there on our backporch were coyote footprints, much to big for cats and set to far apart. Scared me silly knowing a coyote wasnt to far away from me. Now i dont let the horses out past 6pm and i make sure they are all locked away inside.

I'd take a fox over coyotes anyday.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a fox.

We have one that 'visits'. They are scavangers.

A fox won't hurt your horses, they are shy animals.

Now if you have chickens, make sure you lock them up!

I think foxes are beautiful!

Latest posts

Back