yearling won't let you touch her face

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmm

Reaction score
I have a yearling filly who when you reach to pet her face, she jerks her head away. She has never been abused in any way. How do I get her to understand she does not have to do this?

Get a light weight rod or something you can tie a plastic grocery bag to it. Out in the paddock or field work with rubbing the bag around her head until she is comfortable with it. This may take several times before she realizes that something around her head is not going to hurt her.

Good Luck

A lot of horses dislike being touched/petted on the front of their face, especially if that is the first place that you touch. I would try putting your hand under her chin and giving her a gentle scratch under her jaw. After a while, keeping your hand under the jaw, gently rub her cheek with the thumb of that hand. Then you can change hands under her jaw and rub the other cheek with the other thumb. Or maybe try cupping her lower lip/chin gently with both hands, maybe stroking either side of her muzzle with your thumbs if she will let you. If she jerks her head away at any time, then simply walk away and try again later. Horses love attention and most prefer you to stay around and pet them than have you walk away and ignore them!

There is no need for you to pat/pet the front of her face for now, just pet her elsewhere and work round to it slowly. Remember they always tell you to first touch a dog by going under its jaw with your hand, never on the top of its head. I always approach my horses with my hand under their chins.

Hope this helps in a small way - good luck and take your time with her, I'm sure she will come round in the end.

Anna

I agree with AnnaC.

Just instinctively I've always cupped a foal's chin in my hand. For some reason it seems to be calming to them.

Often with a nervous horse I will approach them with scritches on their neck and then cupping the chin. From there I will gradually work toward petting the forehead.

I always start under the chin too, and on the neck. If I have a timid baby - or yearling in your case - I start out not really facing them but looking away and doing little fingernail scratches on the shoulder & neck, and kind of work my way up to the chin/underside of their face. If you are facing them & making eye contact as you reach for their faces, it can be intimidating. Most of our horses are so socialized that it doesn't bother them but as prey animals it can seem threatening to one who is fearful or more timid.

Jan

Latest posts

Back