Yearling Conformation?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circlec

Reaction score
I recently purchased a weanling, who is now almost a yearling. I know NOTHING about showing minis or what to look for when it comes to conformation and "show material." I bought him for myself just to play around with and I never even had a thought of showing. Now, I'm really thinking about ATTEMPTING to hit some local shows and see what happens. I've had A LOT of compliments on him from non-mini people and I figured, what the heck. Post at Lil' Beginnings and see what happens. So tell me, is he show material? Point out his faults so I, myself, can get better at critiquing mini conformation/quality. The photo isn't the best as it doesn't show the dish in his face, but it's all I have to go on right now. I'm going to try and take some more tomorrow.

Bring on the comments!
default_smile.png

BEFORE

This was taken an hour after I got him. He was VERY hairy and non-horsey looking LOL!

Oscar1.jpg

MIDDLE

This was taken right after I clipped him out. He came out dark grey and FAT!

oscar13.jpg

HEAD SHOT

Here's a little better shot of his head.

oscar10.jpg

AFTER

This was taken yesterday. He's starting to turn back to his silver bay color and lose the belly.

Oscar111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You go girl, great ideal, you will love it. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

First, I would go and watch a show, and than if there is any clinics around go for a day, they are great for learning. Usually great people to help you out.

You have done a great job with him.
default_yes.gif
: So I believe you will do great in the local shows.

Good Luck :saludando:

I'm not really into critiquing others horses, but he looks very nice to me. I say go to a few shows and see how things go. That would give you a much better feel for things than what we can tell you here. I do like him though, he's a cutie
default_wub.png
:

Thanks. I thinks he's da' bomb! LOL I just figured I'd let some other people comment on him. I'm just getting into it and I'm DEF a rookie :bgrin

He is for sure improving in the right direction! Keep up the good work! Looks much better!

You guys don't like to critique do ya?
default_smile.png

I was hoping for a littlel insight on his confo so I could get better about picking out well conformed "show" horses. I hope to aquire a few more in the next 2-3yrs.

Even better would be photos of a couple horses with explanations of why they have good confo or why they don't. I would like to someday be able to recognize a halter prospect w/ my own eyes.

There some great conformation threads on the youth forum from this past winter. Some have diagrams and pics; there were even some mock judging threads that were helpful.

Have fun with your boy! :aktion033:

[SIZE=18pt]Very Nice Boy!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: The only thing I could see confromation wise is his but is a little high (you can fix that) but other than that he looks like his is VERY NICE!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:
[/SIZE]

I realy like his head and his coloring he looks very nice!!I agree with Lil_Bit_Of_Magic about the butt, but other then that I like him.Have fun!! :saludando:

I realy like his head and his coloring he looks very nice!!I agree with Lil_Bit_Of_Magic about the butt, but other then that I like him.Have fun!! :saludando:
I figure he'll grow into his butt since he's only a yearling (hopefully). I wish his neck was a little longer. He's a pretty cool lil' guy though. He really has a personality!

[SIZE=18pt]Very Nice Boy!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: The only thing I could see confromation wise is his but is a little high (you can fix that) but other than that he looks like his is VERY NICE!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:
[/SIZE]

I disagree on the butt-high statement. I think he looks really quite wonderful for a yearling. I have seen butt high, thats not it.

This is my opinion only of course... so you can take it as you want...

This is not a stallion quality colt. He does not have an overall balance... his neck is way too short, his shoulder is very upright and weak, and he looks to be a bit behind at the knees. He does not have any refinement or elegance to him (besides his adorable head). His tailset isn't bad but it isn't great either.

That said, he has come a LONG way in those pictures and looks very happy and well cared for. He will make an outstanding gelding and if you want to show in performance I bet there's something he would excel in. If you want to show halter, he will be WAY more competitive as a gelding than a colt.

Stallions should be something that when you see them you go WOW!!!

I suggest going to some shows and seeing the horses that are winning in halter and driving and educate your eye before you buy more (if your intention is on breeding or serious showing). If you are not too serious about showing and just want to have fun and learn, any horse will do. It's a lot easier to place well if you have a well conformed horse to start with though.

Every horse has faults. It is competitive in the show ring because you have to have a basically fault-free horse PLUS one that is elegant looking and balanced.

Here is my yearling filly in the show ring a month or two ago:

finesseshowingsmaller.JPG

She is B sized and I suspect your guy is A sized, but even A sized horses can have long necks and legs and a trim body.

You are on the road to success with your colt... I do suggest gelding him... but you are doing a great job. Keep it up.

Andrea

You are on the road to success with your colt... I do suggest gelding him... but you are doing a great job. Keep it up.Andrea
Well, I want nothing to do with breeding minis or showing at the national level, so he suits me just fine for fun shows
default_smile.png
. However, I won't be gelding him b/c I'm going to use him as a teaser stallion for my breeding program. I think if I keep doing what I'm doing with him he'll keep looking better and better. I'm happy with him.

I also think it might be the photo angle that's making his neck look even shorter than it really is (thanks to letting my dad run the camera LOL). I'm going to attempt to take a few more today if it doesn't rain.

I can't believe the neck & legs on your yearling! WOW! I didn't know minis could look like that LOL

I can't believe the neck & legs on your yearling! WOW! I didn't know minis could look like that LOL

A LOT of people don't realize that minis are NOT these short stocky backyard hairy mammoths. A lot of people on HGS view them as things to come in the house, and that they are like dogs, they can be bought for the $350 - $500 range and while they can, usually you get the minis that ARE backyard pets, but NOT all the time. I got my horse Dealer for $850 and while he isn't perfect, I know that if I had seen him on the internet VS in person like I did, he certainly wouldn't have come home. Heck, off this poster I STILL think he is hideous. I think the picture I took it a lot more flattering, don't you think?

dealersalepic.jpg

My picture of Dealer

dealergoodhalterwebcopy.jpg

medealerwinnice.jpg

A LOT of people don't realize that minis are NOT these short stocky backyard hairy mammoths. A lot of people on HGS view them as things to come in the house, and that they are like dogs, they can be bought for the $350 - $500 range and while they can, usually you get the minis that ARE backyard pets, but NOT all the time. I got my horse Dealer for $850 and while he isn't perfect, I know that if I had seen him on the internet VS in person like I did, he certainly wouldn't have come home. Heck, off this poster I STILL think he is hideous. I think the picture I took it a lot more flattering, don't you think?
I agree that your photo of dealer is much more complimenting!

To make his neck look longer, I make a longer mane clip, correct?

I agree that your photo of dealer is much more complimenting!

To make his neck look longer, I make a longer mane clip, correct?

Yes you would. This is called clipping the bridal path. There are several techniques to compliment the neck, but what I do is sweat both neck and throatlatch, I do thin the mane and then I give him a longer-ish clip. Dealer is a gelding and he has conformational faults, I am aware of this. However he is one of the best performance horses in my state right now, he is the top AMHR jumper horse due to show results - and I do work on this.

If you want more grooming tips for show or anything, feel free to contact me.

Here are the two photos I took tonight (again, w/ my dad running the camera). The angles would still be better if I could run the camera, but I wouldn't DARE let him try to set Oscar and keep him still HAHA! It would be a DISASTER!!!
default_yes.gif
:

oscar21.jpg

oscar20.jpg

there was a post on here a while ago where a member trained her horse to arch his neck by giving him treats over a gate, her on one side and him on the other. worth a try!

Latest posts

Back