Yawning?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
i was wondering what it means when a horse yawns? my gelding Toby has been yawning a whole lot lately. yesterday i was sitting in the pasture with him and he yawned 8 times in a row(i was counting) while he was laying down. i'm a bit concerened....could it be something bad?
default_unsure.png

ETA: Forgot to add, the yawning started when the weather warmed up...could it be he's overly hot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please check to see if he has any gutt sounds. Is he laying down a whole lot? Could possibly be colic. Like Jill said yawning is often a sign of discomfort, which is why you see alot of pregnant mares yawning when they are in labor.

Please check to see if he has any gutt sounds. Is he laying down a whole lot? Could possibly be colic. Like Jill said yawning is often a sign of discomfort, which is why you see alot of pregnant mares yawning when they are in labor.

he has always laid down alot, but he's been vet checked and nothings wrong, he has good feet, drinks and eats normally, i excersize him daily, he hasnt had any behavioural changes as far as i've noticed besides the yawning. although, he does have a thick winter coat and seems to hate the heat...could it be he's uncomftorable from the heat?

If the vet hasn't checked him since the yawning became chronic, I would think you should consider another vet visit. A lot of things can make a horse uncomfortable, however, I do not think being hot is behind his yawning. It could be nothing serious, but we cannot really tell you whether or not your horse is okay -- we cannot see him from here and not very many of us are vets.

when my horses are hot l don't see them yawn..if in some kind of pain yes they do yawn at times but not always. lf this was my horse yawing a lot while laying down l would be worried..could be mild colic gas anything. Are you sure it's a yawn not just a fletchmens yawn..

Both of my younger ones (6 & 8 Yr old) yawn in the cross ties when they think they've been there too long. So besides discomfort it can be boredom or anxiety that triggers the yawns. My stallion will start it long before my mare will. He only has to be there 5 minutes and he's yawning. My mare will yawn when I'm clipping, bathing and getting ready for a show so the "wait" is much longer.

Have to add that my older geldin (23 yr old) does NOT yawn - ever that I've seen. And yes he does get bathed and clipped occasionally.

Are you sure it's a yawn not just a fletchmens yawn..

i have no clue what that is lol

usually when he lays down he yawns a few times and then goes to sleep so i dont think its anxiety.

he is by himself so it could be boredom...

no, its not a flehman yawn. its a mouth wide open, tounge sticking out kinda yawn.

he also sleeps alot, he spends about 2-3 hours a day laying down napping. its not colic though, he'll just lay there and sleep.

Gee thanks Jill for posting that...l have no clue why l wrote fletchmens omg isn't even close to flehman
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_no.gif

Could be any number of things. If it is something that occurs more than occasionally I'd start trying to figure it out. Does he do it mostly right befroe feeding or at any predictable time? If he is given limited food, it could be intestinal discomfort from not having food in his stomach between feedings. You'd want to consider feeding 3x a day or giving larger meals to give him something to chew throughout the day. I've read acid secretion is common when they see you feeding other horses but take a while to get to them. Irritates ulcers too.

Could be any number of things. If it is something that occurs more than occasionally I'd start trying to figure it out. Does he do it mostly right befroe feeding or at any predictable time? If he is given limited food, it could be intestinal discomfort from not having food in his stomach between feedings. You'd want to consider feeding 3x a day or giving larger meals to give him something to chew throughout the day. I've read acid secretion is common when they see you feeding other horses but take a while to get to them. Irritates ulcers too.

its mostly when he lays down, just before he shuts his eyes to nap. he'll give a few yawns and then shut his eyes and sleep

also, he has hay most of the day and will snack on it throughout the day.

Gee thanks Jill for posting that...l have no clue why l wrote fletchmens omg isn't even close to flehman
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_no.gif
I couldn't remember what it was called for sure myself. I just knew it started with an F. I think I googled for "horse yawn stallion" or something
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Back