Wrap Straps too short

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
The wrap straps on my show harness needed to be replaced as an end of it had been chewed on somehow. The one that was sent is a lot shorter. I am trying to find another one in time for our upcoming show. My question is: If the staps are long enough to just make one loop around the shaft, is that enough? I am unable to wrap a complete wrap around the shaft, so the strap is just making contact with the top of the shaft....not the bottom at all. Is this OK? I'm also entered in obstacle driving and want to be sure there is plenty of support on the shafts. I have also had this issue when using some of our other carts and harnesses and would like to know if this acceptable.

One loop just over the shaft would be enough if you also have britching, without britching your shaft tug loop need to be secured so the cart does not ride up against the horse. In other words it depends if they are part of your breaking mechanism or that they are only there to hold the shafts down and prevent the cart from flying up and back. I personally do not use them as we use quick release shaft tug loops and always use britching on the horses.

When you mention it is a show harness I suspect you are not using britching and I would say get it fixed properly before running into trouble.

Just my 2 penny's

Last edited by a moderator:
It's acceptable although it depends on how the cart, harness, and horse all fit together. For instance some horses are slim and the shafts end up being pulled in by the wrap straps. Try the whole thing out and IF the shafts stay in place and don't bounce around then I'd go ahead and use it.

If you think you'll have a problem go get a length of (black to match harness) nylon belting or sometimes called webbing. Cut it to the length you need and use that in place of your straps. You don't know how or can't attach a buckle? Then cut the strap long enough to punch a hole in one end where your buckle on the belly strap is; go around the shaft as much as you want; come back to the same buckle and punch a few more holes in that end of the strap before you cut for length. Put that end in the buckle also (since it's nylon) most buckles will take the double piece.

Hope that's not too confusing.

Just remember that not all belly straps are made the same. Well, this would work with at least one of my harnesses. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back