Would you......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My equine liability covers bodily injury and property damage done by horses owned only by me wherever they are located, whether it be someone else's pasture or a horse show. I have a separate binder that covers the owner's of the property where I pasture my large horses so if, for example, one of my horses were to get out on the road and cause a car accident and the occupant of the vehicle were injured or killed and this person or their family, decided to sue the owner's of the property my horses are pastured on then they are also covered by my policy.

If you board others' horses then yes, you do need a separate Care, Custody and Control policy. There are different policies and/or premiums based on your needs: boarding, breeding, selling, lessons, training, and also the number of horses used for these things.

Homeowners policies are very limited in this area if they cover livestock at all. We have our equine liability insurance, mortality insurance on some of our horses and a homeowners umbrella policy. You might say we are insurance poor.
wacko.gif

It can get expensive but it would certainly be alot worse if you needed the coverage and didn't have it. JMO

When I started going to nursing homes and day cares ect, It was in a small way and I talked to my homeowners agent. We added a rider to my basic homeowners policy and I made sure that it spelled out exactly what was covered and what was not. It would only cover me as long as I only made a certain amount of money or less by doing this as a business. When we started doing pony rides and the potential for making more money became a reality, we had to get a much better policy. I think that the rider costs me about $200 a year and now I am paying approx $1000 per year for coverage. The new policy will cover any one of our (my husband and I do this together) horses anywhere for just about anything except a couple of silly things like if we were to participate in a circus (or something like that--I don't exactly remember) We do not have people coming here for anything that brings in money at this time--like trail rides and driving and such, but I think that would be an extra cost if we did start that. Our regular homeowners covers basic incidentals associated with your basic visits--like buyers and friends and such.

I also was part of putting on a show and the ASPC/AMHR requires proof of insurance before a show will be approved and allowed to attain points for it's exhibitors. Also, I would think that the grounds owners would be required to have some sort of insurance as well. Goodness--no wonder there seems to be an insurance agent on every corner--right next to the lawyers
laugh.gif

Angie

dannigirl said:
Goodness--no wonder there seems to be an insurance agent on every corner--right next to the lawyers
laugh.gif

Heh! I'm an agent in Texas Angie!! Let me assure you - just like doctors, lawyers and used car salesman - there's good ones and bad ones!! I'm a good one!!
biggrin.gif
That was funny!!!

Ok

My thought on an umbrella then is probably the ticket. My current homeowners is a pretty good policy for the money...and because I have kids who do have friends and I have one not so nice dog and several other nice but big dogs and I have the miniatures including 1 stallion.......so...we did discuss and do have a fair amount of extra liability coverage...but I feel it isn't enough if I start operating as a farm where people (the public) will be doing business. None of my business currently has anything to do with the horses.......we are getting down on the horses from our huge herd of 7
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
I now have 6 and am shooting for 4......so the only role they will play is the one they do now "ohhh look at the cute ponies" followed by a whole lot of question and answer
wink.gif

Oh and I am ahead of the game as my current insurance company is typically a business insurer so they are great at answering my questions and helping me without selling me everything under the sun.
wacko.gif

You might want to check out this web site

http://www.usef.org/

when you become a member you get $1,000,000 liability insurance

Insurance coverage for Life, Platinum, Senior and Junior USEF members is as follows:

Liability - Personal excess liability coverage with $1,000,000 policy limit. Coverage is for claims brought against members of USEF arising from the use and/or ownership of a horse and horse-related accidents involving a bodily injury or property damage. Coverage will apply when engaged in any horse-related activity and is in excess of any existing individual liability coverage.

Latest posts

Back