Would you geld him

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I would say yes to geld him, because if you want to sell him one day a youth could drive/show him and people are always looking to a good youth horse, but then on the other hand, because of his color????
default_wacko.png

If he was mine I would Geld him only because there can be more done with a Gelding.

Sarah~
default_biggrin.png

If he is not going to be used for breeding, then gelding would be great. It takes the frustration out of his life - and everyone else's, lol

He would be much happier and more settled, and my colt I had for sale sold immediately after he was gelded, as that is what the folks prefered, and he was already done!

Depends. If you want to keep him and train him for cart, then geldings are always the best for that (speaking from personal experience).

But since he has color, colored stallions generally sell for more than geldings. The market around here, it seems stallions go for more than a trained gelding becuase a lot of people are more interested in breeding. But there's a chance a youth or amateur will come along and want a nice quiet, trained gelding too. Have to look at your market if you plan to sell right now.

All up to you, but personally I would geld him. They are much easier to deal with.
default_smile.png

The descision to geld has to be based on multiple facets. Conformation, temperment, bloodlines, color, etc. Not just marketablity. Personally, from the photo presented, I don't see him as stallion quality (meaning superb conformation). While he maybe homozygous, if his parts don't fit together based on the ideal, it doesn't matter what color he is or what percentage of pinto pattern he'd throw in resulting foals. An all around gelding prospect will have a much larger market base than an all around stallion.

If he is to be for sale either way. I would start by advertising him as a stallion. You can market him this way for a bit, and if he doesn't sell, geld him, and market him that way. He can be trained to drive as either a gelding or a stallion so that really doesn't make a difference. And if you train him to drive as a stallion, he will still be trained to drive as a gelding. It's easy to wait and geld later, but you can't ungeld later when someone comes along looking for a nice colored stallion.

If you were keeping him and since you won't be using him for breeding, I'd for sure geld him.

If you're looking to market him, I actually would not. I'd maybe (most likely) offer a gelding incentive but you may miss out on a sale to someone wanting a driving stallion if you geld him.

That said, my own favorite geldings are those that could have easily stayed stallions. They're just so much easier to enjoy as geldings when you don't plan to use them for breeding.

The picture doesn't give the horse a true sense of what he is like conformation wise, that is what I would base my decision on. From this picture, the horse is weak conformation wise as a halter prospect and all around prospect as a stallion. As a strictly performance, I don't see issues. But as a gelding he would do fine.

So if you want the forum members to give a better critique other than personal opinions (which are valued!), we would need better pics. And by pics, IMHO - both sides, front, back and teeth would help with a better idea of the horse.

And of course - I have to add the disclaimer that pictures don't always do a horse justice and sometimes it is better seen in person. Got any breeders or trainers near you who you trust that could take a look?

I would be a bad person to ask as I gelded my National Champion halter horse
default_smile.png
Geldings rock

Geld.
default_yes.gif

JMO, but he isn't stunning and breath taking. There are too many semi- nice, semi- not so nice, miniature stallions out there now, so gelding him will only help improve the market.
default_smile.png

I am a large gelding fan and I geld almost all my horses. So I say geld.

There is always a market and a strong market for a good solid all around gelding. In fact many geldings I have owned or friends own cost alot more then many of the stallions I see advertised.

To me there is tons of reasons to geld and really I have yet to hear a strong logical reason not to.
default_wink.png

What a handsome boy you have there!!
default_yes.gif

I say geld him... Geldings are so sweet to work with and IF you ever sell him I'm sure there will be many interested in a trained driving gelding...

Good Luck

I am in total agreement with Carin's comment. There are many factors involved when it comes to a making the decision whether a horse is stallion quality. There are just too many sub standard stallions in the miniatures. Unless the stallion posesses outstanding conformation and temperment, he should be gelded.

Geldings bring just as much money as a stallion, if they are well trained, have a good temperment and are advertised in the right market, ie amatuer, youth etc.

The descision to geld has to be based on multiple facets. Conformation, temperment, bloodlines, color, etc. Not just marketablity. Personally, from the photo presented, I don't see him as stallion quality (meaning superb conformation). While he maybe homozygous, if his parts don't fit together based on the ideal, it doesn't matter what color he is or what percentage of pinto pattern he'd throw in resulting foals. An all around gelding prospect will have a much larger market base than an all around stallion.

If you have no breeding plans for him, then he needs a purpose in his life. So I vote to geld, he would make a lovely 4-H horse. Geldings make the best Youth show horses !!! Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not geld him because he is what I am looking for. I wanted pintos and ended up with appy's I am looking to sell my colt (a yearling) and buying a pinto stud. Not that I am a big breeder. I don't even have anything due this year. I may not even have anyone due next year. But a nice Pinto is exactly what I am looking for. Besides everyone is gelding and I don't know anyone that has had a colt this year.

Besides everyone is gelding and I don't know anyone that has had a colt this year.

No offense Katiean, but this statement is totally wrong. There are several farms who have had colts this year and good quality colts too!! And no, not everyone is gelding. There are far more people in this industry who are NOT gelding than who are. While my program is also color oriented, I put emphasis on the conformation of the horses in it first before I ever consider color. HOMOZYGOUS does not equal STALLION QUALITY.

IF you are looking for a pinto STALLION QUALITY colt, may I recommend Belinda Bagby @ Cross Country Farm, Erica Killion of Erica's Tiny Trotters, or Sharman Brown of Thousand Oaks. They all have had pinto colts that I would like own IF I was breeding miniatures.

Besides everyone is gelding and I don't know anyone that has had a colt this year.

Hmm I have seen hundreds of pinto colts for sale some for as little as 300 dollars. However of course a quality colt one that has the possibility of maturing into a show quality , herd sire well again they are not rare although they are and should be a bit more pricey!

I would geld him if he were mine, i know you did not as for a conformation criteqe and that is not a good photo to judge on but he looks long in the face and hey, this world lacks geldings
default_smile.png

There is nothing at all wrong with gelding ...actually you may find it easier imo to market a good gelding rather then a iffy stallion.

Latest posts

Back