Would this interest you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
With the drought and the economy it has been near impossible to sell a horse in the last 6 months. Locally, you can't even give them away. So, I was wondering, if someone offered a free show quality horse with a training contract would you consider it? I'm not sure if the thought is spot on or completely insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it depends on how much you'd have to pay for the training contract. How many months and price per month. Surely it doesn't come with the training contract already paid. If so, I'd probably take it!

I have seen people do that before actually, two well known trainers that I can think of off the top of my head.

PS - Did you get what I sent you in the mail?
default_smile.png
Thanks Carin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is an interesting marketing tool to explore. I can think of several situations that this would be an attractive offer but probably wouldn't have a ton of people interested.

I'm not sure. The "devil" is in the details. I don't really have what most would consider "cheap" horses, but even so... the biggest expense is often NOT the purchase price but the on going costs of ownership.

It would greatly depend on the details. How long would the training contract be for? What type of stipulations would be in the sale contract for if the horse was injured or otherwise unable to continue training (for example a stallion who had an eye injury making him unable to show, but not affecting his career as a breeding stallion)?

It is a good idea. I just looked at your training rates on your website, and if you were in my area, this is defiantly something I would look into. If it were a trainer with high rates and was a long contract, I probably wouldnt. I wouldnt want to be paying more than the horses value in training if the whole Idea was the horse was free. Hope that makes sense. Personally, when I do use a trainer, I like my horses to be within 4 hours of home, simply because I also show ammy, so I take lessons from the trainer while my horse is in training. Much further away, and that's not feasible.

It sounds very feasible and Jill's comment is a valid one.

I think we have to be very creative in our marketing ideas.

I sold two weanling fillies recently and part of the sale was to provide one month training with the new owners who were young ladies who would be owning horses for the first time.

They came to the farm three or four nights a week and worked with their horses preparing them for a show and learning all they could.

We then took the horses to a small show and the girls showed and they performed very well. The horses then were relocated to the farm of the new owners.

I enjoyed the fact that I was able to see the young ladies working with their horses and be able to coach them toward having an animal that they would enjoy.

Carin I think its a very good idea. Your reputation and accomplishments speak for itself so you have a great basis and have laid the groundwork towards a good sale.

Sometimes as a seller we have to "bend our rules" and have an open mind to suit individual needs. Anyone that knows me knows that I go to great lengths to find the perfect owners for horses I had for sale. I spent over a year waiting for that perfect person to come along and biding my time and it finally did; however I had to agree to board the horses at my farm for a while until their farm was ready. It turned out to be a win-win situation for us both and everyone is very happy and the extra pay off was I made great new friends too.

Carin, you can tailor make your contract according to both buyer/seller needs and it could be different for each buyer. You could give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck with this!

Thank you all for the input. Its something I've considered in the last month with a couple extra show worthy boys on the place. I was considering a contract until the national level show. As well as some other bits and pieces for protection. I hate to give them away for free, but if they are on the show string and being promoted that makes me feel better. In this economy with so many good horses being lost to dispersals and craigslist, I'm trying to keep them in the industry and not lost to the backyards. There's nothing wrong with backyards, but these boys were produced with a purpose and I feel its my job to make sure they are used for that purpose.

Carin, I think it could be a great idea...for the right person. If I found the "right" horse for sale at a trainer's farm and this type of thing was offered, I would give it serious consideration. So I think your biggest considerations will be the details of the contract, the "what if" scenarios and then finding the right client that is looking for the type of horse you specifically are offering.

I think being creative is the key! Best of luck to you.
default_aktion033.gif

Back