Would this cart work well?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadows Fire

Reaction score
http://www.k9carting.com/dogcart.html

I would think that the third wheel would take some of the weight off the horse. I like the idea of a brake too. I have a goat that could probably use some exercise......Course I might die laughing watching her move from behind. she is a GAS. Maybe goat AND mini? LOL

Helps if I read it more thoroughly it says third wheel should come off for horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
it suggests that middle wheel come off for use with horses. A horse would hit that at a walk and strong trot...I would be very worried it might even get a hoof caught in the wheel.

This is a great idea, you could, simply by adding or removing that wheel, use the cart for both the min and the goat.
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

Generally, drivers don't use brakes with a two-wheeled cart as the brakes force more downward weight upon the back of the animal. That doesn't happen with a four-wheeler. With the 3rd wheel, that wouldn't happen with a goat or dog, either though. I agree, I wouldn't use the 3rd wheel with a horse.

Myrna

I have been looking around for a cart for a small 29 inch mare that and was looking at this cart.....I think I would take off the 3rd wheel and not use the brakes at all....any one out there have this cart......I think the regular EE cart with 50 in shafts is going to be too big when just held up to her....we are just starting her out so have some time yet. It says these shafts are 42 inches long......what do you think.......

I think this cart would be perfect for the little mare. My two favourite carts have 42", and 44" shafts, and the horses I have driven in them go the whole range from just barely 30", to 38". I think the shafts on a lot of miniature carts are too long, but it all boils down to personal preferance.

For reference...

52" shaft - 38" horse. I wanted 50" shafts, but the maker made an error, I do wish they were shorter.

IMG_2172.jpg

44" shaft - 31.50" horse.

ADD_3209-Copy-1.jpg

I use the 44" shafted cart with my 35" mare, and she fits it like a glove. This smaller mare looks a lot better in the 42" shafts, but I don't drive her much, so I sold that cart, and kept the 44" shaft one, as most of my horses fit it best. My meadowbrook has 44" shafts as well, and I drove my 38" horse in it easily. He had all kinds of room to move in it.

Thanks for pics.....I think she just looks lost in the larger cart and have been looking at this cart along with another one that is less money.....3 horses, 3 carts not that I need one for each since you can only drive one at a time...I want to look balanced........anybody else have that cart or either of these.....Would like a smart cart but can't justify it......http://www.gscart.com/minihorse2730.htm or this one http://www.gscart.com/atcart.htm ?????

I plan to get one of the GS Trail carts this fall. That will give me the winter to modify it to fit my needs a bit more.

The Smart Cart, although I do like them very much, is far too heavy for a 29" mare. I won't even get one for my 32" mare for that same reason. (Besides the fact they are (IMO) crazy expensive for what is basically an EE cart.)

The Smart Cart, although I do like them very much, is far too heavy for a 29" mare. I won't even get one for my 32" mare for that same reason. (Besides the fact they are (IMO) crazy expensive for what is basically an EE cart.)
That is because they are not at all built alike. The Smart Cart will withstand a whole lot more than your average Easy Entry pipe cart. And the suspension isn't at all alike either. FWIW, you are comparing apples to oranges. Each has it's own market, but it definitely is not the same market.

Why not consider a Hyperbike for a little bitty mare? They are stable and light, and effective for combined driving. I wouldn't use an Easy Entry cart above training level, even if it had steel wheels. They just aren't made for it. My mom has one and it was flipped once and now the shafts are "cockeyed". They are fine for bombing around through the woods and general practice, but.....you get what you pay for.

Myrna

My mom has one and it was flipped once and now the shafts are "cockeyed".
But that is what is easy about tubular metal...all she has to do is take the cart to a metalworker, and either have it fixed, or replaced. She doesn't have to put up with it being "cockeyed"...it is an easy repair.

Latest posts

Back