would like to see some pics of horse color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has pictures of a light bay or dark buckskin foal. I can't post any pics right now. I have searched every color web site but have not seen the exact color of my new filly. If you post can you tell me your determination of the color of your foal. Thank you all so much,

Mary

I don't have any pictures of light bay / dark buckskins as foals, but I think one indicator is if you look at the hair under their tail like along the side of their butt, that can be an indicator I think. It helps to see the hair color vs. the foal fuzz and that spot seems to be a good place to look.

Oh well I can't tell what color it is. Her base color is black and the hair right under her tail is flaxen then it faids to light strawberry blond color. I guess I will just wait until I can post some pics of her. It seems like she is getting lighter at a week and a half too.

Thanks for your reply.

here is a smutty (sooty) buckskin pinto colt we had in 07'

"Eagles Ring Axelrod"

unclipped at 3 weeks old

HPIM3099-1.jpg

clipped same day

HPIM3187.jpg

HPIM3181.jpg

HPIM3272.jpg

Her sire is a buttermilk buckskin with all buckskin behind him. Her dam is black.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the pics of your colt he is so cute love his blaze. Interesting color shows the range possible for the buckskin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of my filly (smutty buckskin) as a foal

sunshine_side_on_.jpg

and now (a yearling)

es1.jpg

As you can see she look nothing like she did when she was a foal. Both of her parents are appalossa, sire a leopard and dam a vanish roan.

That colt is beautiful!!!

My girl is also silver and possibly dun, but..

Foal

katencocoa5.jpg

Shedding

13b81c13.jpg

Now shaved

cocoa11.jpg

And fuzzy

cocoa31-20-8.jpg

Jessi

Heres a few variety of colors for you

Heres a newborn filly who's base color is black she clipped out black but after a couple years roaned out because of an appy parent.

dryleft.JPG

Then another filly who matured into a dark bay roan as an adult.

bunnycloseright.JPG

Then for kicks not sure if your filly is this light but heres a silver bay colt

MVC-022S.JPG

Then as a yearling same colt.

023_23A.JPG

Hope it helps congrats on your new girl!

Edited to add sorry that the pics are so big

~Jessica

It is so hard to get used to the friendly and helpful people on this forum. I just can't get over it.

You all have helped me greatly. My filly has to be a light bay. She has the black mane and tail and stockings and is a lighter color red than the bay posted.You never know though.

I will post some pics on Monday, I am sure someone can confirm for me. Thanks again for sharing your pictures of your horses they are all so lovely and the colors! Wow.

Mary

24 hours old

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/M...t=Luna32308.jpg

2 weeks old

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/M...nt=P7060055.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/M...nt=P7060044.jpg

So I figure she is bay, what color bay do you think she is?

Thanks folks for your expert judgement.

Excellent web site. Totally explained everything but now I am still unsure if my filly is a light bay or a dark buckskin. I do not feel confident to make the choice. I want her color designation to be correct because this will be my 1st show horse. I will post some pictures on Monday so that I can rely on the expertise of the forum members to help me out.THANKS again to all.

Mary

This is my light bay colt. He is a yearling now and about the color of his dam in the photo.

mooseleft.jpg

Ok she must be a bay. She seems to be getting redder and she has very dark points. Now I can name her too. Maxi's Luna BayB. She was born at the full moon on March 22nd.

Thanks so much for the bay pics it really helped!

Mary

Latest posts

Back