WORST TICK SEASON EVER !!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHARAFARMS

Reaction score
Have never seen as many ticks on my horses as I have this year ! been grooming each horse daily and removing ticks. what do you guys do to prevent/treat ?

thanks for any imput.

I personally have never had a problem with ticks on my horses, in Florida or Oklahoma. We have never even had the pastures treated for them..But I would be interested to see what others do for this problem..

I don't know what's going on here either. I've never had this until now. Sheryl also called me and asked if this was a "Tennessee thing"...........

We have no trees in our fields but I would just assume that they would get them from possibly rubbing on a tree or in a wooded area but apparently they are all over the grass too.

This is the first time in 10 years I've seen them on a horse.

Have no idea as of yet what to do about it at the moment either.

All I am doing is while grooming I keep a paper towel in a plastic cup filled with mineral oil and when I wipe over them they slide out and croak. Pretty gross stuff

They're terrible here too. My farrier recommended a very light dusting (down the length of the neck and spine, down the legs under the legs and on the chest) with 7Dust. Trying it now - don't know what else to do.

My neighbor is having issues also. They guy at the feed store said to put dry molassas on the yard and it acts like glass to ticks and kills them. I just did a google search and this is what another website suggested.

"Mix molasses with 50% sawdust and 50% bran. Add a little water. ... The dry ice should last about three hours and attract every tick with a 75 sq. ft. area ..."

She was also told that a certain pool chemical spread around the yard would have the same affect.

Just a thought. I have never tried it but certainly the dried molassas couldn't hurt the horses like chemicals would.

i have NEVER seen ticks like this!! we are all covered, the dogs are covered and now im finding them on the horses. I thought maybe it was because we moved to ohio. I am going nuts!!! they are crawling on the outside of the house!

We used to find a lot of ticks on my minis in Connecticut but since we have got some chickens and ducks and let them free range during the day, the ticks seem to be nonexistant. And the added bonus is fresh eggs besides controlling the tick problem. I haven't seen any at all this year so far but it is a little early up here for them. Another month and the chickens and ducks will be earning their keep.

Joyce

She was also told that a certain pool chemical spread around the yard would have the same affect.
DE or Diatomacious Earth--great stuff.
default_yes.gif
: It's not a chemical, but fine, ground fossil critters. It causes damage to the protective coating of some bugs (not all, I can tell you first hand it doesn't work on Grasshoppers
default_wacko.png
: ) and causes them to dehydrate. Won't hurt earth worms or frogs, safe if ingested. Approved for use on organic farms, so very earth-friendly. Very safe; however, you want to use the food grade quality, NOT the swimming pool stuff as it can cause respiratory problems. One is more fine than the other, can't remember which is which. You may need to call around to garden centers to find it (they prefer the chemical stuff) and if that fails, find an organic producer in your area. They'll know a source. My understanding is that this is the stuff that Flea Busters (or whatever that carpet treatment is called) is made of.

:lol: okay its been a while so i cant remember the name... like 6 years. :lol:

There is a pellet type stuff that comes in a bag, i believe it looks like pelleted lime... you put it in the seed spreader, its supposed to keep ticks, fleas and other things out of the yard where you put it... I used it for 3 seasons an guess what no ticks!

you can get it at home depot!

Okay I had to go look it up online! its about $10 a bag and here is the discription

Nuisance and damaging insects in the soil and turf can ruin your lawn and keep you and your family from enjoying the outdoors. Spectracide® Triazicide® Brand Soil & Turf Insect Killer Granules provide fast-acting protection of your lawn against more than 44 common damaging and nuisance pests. It kills target insects on contact above and below the ground, including ants, crickets, armyworms, centipedes, pillbugs, fleas, grubs, chinch bugs, European crane flies, sod webworms, and other listed insects. It can also be used as a band treatment around homes to prevent invading insects, and as a spot treatment for mounding ants, including fire ants. Apply with a broadcast or rotary spreader to the lawn, or by hand for band and spot treatments. One bag treats up to 5,000 sq. ft. Read and follow all label instructions.

• Works fast - long-lasting control

• Kills over 40 types of insects

• Kills grubs and other lawn-invading insects

• Use on lawns and as a barrier treatment

• 10 lb - Treats up to 5,000 sq ft

Internet # 111855

Catalog # 100023081

Store In-Stock SKU # 107022

Latest posts

Back