Tick control help....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel953

Reaction score
Hey guys new here thank you, just chasing any advice on what to do for my mini to prevent ticks biting her? Any help greatly appreciated thank you

I like the spot on fly control, freedom 45 I think is the best. Won't really do anything for flies but it is great for ticks. Equi spot I think is a little greasy but it works well also.

I use Equispot and it works pretty well for ticks. The only other thing it seems to help with is black flies/gnats, but I live in a high Lyme disease area so I keep Equispot on him as long as there is no snow on the ground.

I do notice that some horses are bothered by it. They all seem to get a little fussy when you put it on (I'm guessing maybe it tickles or feels weird as it trickles between the hairs?). I had one Thoroughbred that it burned the hair off of though. That seems to be relatively rare.

I got all excited when I first saw the Freedom 45, thinking they had come up with something that lasted 45 days, so I was bummed when I saw it just referred to the percentage of permethrin. 😆

Yes, I forgot, it does help with the gnats too, and saved a gelding I had with mild sweet itch. I did have one horse have a reaction to the equi spot, and lose a bit of hair, but switching brands fixed that for him. I sure do wish it lasted 45 days!

Latest posts

Back