Worst experience with a buyer or seller?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seashells

Reaction score
He was a cute thing, but not what I expected. I saw those long ears and my first reaction was anger. I expected a mini foal, not a mini mule. The seller never mentioned breeding the mare to a donkey. In fact, she gave me a breeding certificate showing breeding dates to a mini stallion. I guess things could have been worse, but I sure was surprised by the surprise and wished she would have mentioned the donkey breeding before I paid to have her delivered to me from out of state. Her reacton was, "you mini horse people are different than mule owners". My question to all: What's your worst experience with a buyer of seller. I'm sure there are some interesting stories out there...

I sold a mare in foal last fall, retained the papers as I wanted to retain the foal, foal was born in May, went to pick it up at weaning, never been handled, and was wild as could be and not even weaned. I also delivered a 2006 mini/shetland colt for the lady and was given a check, which when went to cash she had put a stop payment on it. Luckily I had e-mailed the registry to hold onto the papers of the mare I had sold and just recently got what I wanted in the form on a e-mail stating that all horses I had purchased from this lady she no longer wanted right of first refusal on them as I bought 4 horses from her in the past. I think that alone was worth the $130 she owed. So yesterday i e-mailed the registry to tell them to send this nut her papers and I am happy I never have to deal with her again. I am not the only one she has done something negative 2. I know of 4 people who are upset with her as well. Good thing she is selling all her horses other than 3. Good riddence to breeders like her.

I really haven't had an bad experiences as a buyer or a seller. The "worst" so far is one of the horses I sold went to someone who unexpectedly had to get out of most of her horses and she re-sold the horse I sold to her. That horse hasn't been transferred into the current owner's name yet and I think about the horse often and am anxious to know "who" has the horse. I don't want the horse back, but I would like to know where the horse is. Hopefully, eventually, the papers will transfer.

Her reacton was, "you mini horse people are different than mule owners".
And exactly WHAT DOES that have to do with being honest with anyone that is putting out hard earned $$$ for anything........... :no: Why do some people think it is ok to avoid the facts, tell a lie or whatever it takes to make a buck!
default_wacko.png
: I need a fist in the face icon! ......................... A few years back I came up with this quote, " If you value money above friendship, WHAT will you have left if you go bankrupt?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a few really, truly bad experiences, the last of which I am not at liberty to discuss as I still have hopes of it coming out good.

It is always the worst when there are friends or people you believed were friends, involved.

Anyway- I bought a mare I did not particularly want because it was bred to a specific stallion who had since been gelded.

An Appy stallion (the mare was Appy, too)

The mare foaled a red and white colt, HUGE.

Breeder said the other stallion must have got her by accident and said she would buy the foal back, which she never did.

She did end up eventually finding me a buyer- she put her farm name on him when she registered him, I notice!!!

The other r bad experiences involve mainly trying to get money I am owed!!!

Well my worst selling experience was a mare I sold late last summer. She had a dwarf foal for me so I did not bred her and found what I believed was a pet home. And just last week I get an e-mail from the gal I sold her to asking me if I could send her breeding cert. for my stallion... she foal on Sp 29th a dwarf filly and she'd like to papers the foal. :new_shocked: First off no way was it from any stallion of mine.. the left in early Sep and it just foaled. And why on earth would she want to register a dwarf foal.. I told he no way would I send her paperwork.. the mare was not down on the stallionreport because she was not bred here.. and even if she was not way would I help her register a dwarf foal.. I told her I sold the mare as a pet and am not at all happy she lied to me tellig me she would be only a pet, she said as 1/2 a little team.. UGH Sorry I'm still mad as H#%& over this. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

The worst buying experience was also my first.I purcused a bred mare and 2 yearling fillies for a man who said he'd send me the papers once they were up to date... Last I ever heard of him. he moved and never replied to any e-mails or letters ect. I did get the bred mares papers back by with the help of her breeder. But the other 2 were sold later as grades and the bred mares colt was also sold as grade.
default_shutup.gif
:

Now I never buy a horse unless I have the papers in my hand.

Leasons learned..
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought a LOT of horses from random sellers, and I must say only ONE was a ''hassle'' but not a terrible experience. In all cases I've gotten what I've paid for and in most cases the horses exceeded my expectations.

Thank you to these breeders who have made it a POSITIVE experience to buy a horse:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Angie Sauer, Buck On Ranch, MN

Lisa Weinstein, Ruff N Tuff Minis, ID

Laurie Villalpando, Pheasant Run Minis and Shetlands, UT

The Bowers, Country Classics Ponies, IA

Julie Wagner, SMHC, OH

Cindy Heimstadt, Imagine Farms, MI

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I hate balls of negativity.

To help avoid these ''problem sellers and situations'' to those of you reading this thread that are now scared of buying a horse... it is helpful to

1. Check out references of others who have purchased a horse from them

2. Get as many pictures/ video of horse as you can... legs, bite, etc.

3. Make sure paperwork is in order. Have a current copy of papers stating that your seller is the CURRENT owner as well as stallion paperwork in order if horse is bred

4. Have a thorough contract written and signed to protect both of you

There are LOTS of great people out there to buy from!

Andrea

I bought an awesome stallion at the sale in Shelbyville a few years ago and wanted a mare that was bred to him...so contacted the stallions previous owner and asked if she had any mares for sale that were in foal to my stallion...she said she had two and sent me pics of them. One was a sorrel pinto, and I already had a mare that looked identical, so I went with a Rowdy bred mare that was black with a white blaze. My stallion is a black and white tovero. Foaling time came and I was so excited to have this tiny white filly....................., short lived excitement...the filly was a lethal white. Apparantly the sellers did not know that the stallion was LWO positive or that the mare was LWO positive. It was a terrible experience.....our first loss. There were many nasty emails over the situtation and I finally just had to let it go.

Becky

I havehad two buying nightmares and both are realted to being new and naive so can take almost as much responsibility for it. The very first purchase we made we went into it knowing we were rescuing tow minis from a bad situation as the seller out and out said they disciplined them with a 2X4 and that is the real reason that we pursued buying them. The filly a two yr old led like a dream but one couldnt take her halter off unless you wanted to be black and blue trying to put it back on. The little stallion was a biter. But worse than these traits was after only 4 months with us the little girl started looking supiciously like she was bred. She had her foal just 3 days after her 3rd birthday. So she was bred just a short time after she was two the delivery went fine but this was still a nightmare for brand new mini owners who had no intention of being breeders.

The second was a mare I bought with the stallion certificate that she was bred to a wonderful little bay pinto when baby arrived it was a dwarf and was a grey. Mom was black. I called the seller and her response was that it couldnt be they had never had a dwarf. And she continued to swear that the bay was the babies Dad. I told her at the time that it really didnt matter but that if he was the Dad that they shouldnt use him for breeding she was very indignant and hung up on me. We still own all of the above horses .

On a better note I have had far more good experiences than bad in our venture into the mini horse world.

As for selling no bad experiences here though I almost had one I have only sold two horses in our 5 years of having minis and the two I did sell both had bad bites and were a brother and a sister whom I wanted to go together, A young woman and two young girls came to look and wanted the filly in the worst way but something told me that I should look into this further. In the meantime another wonderful family came and were more than willing to take both horses together. They bought the kids. After the fact I found out from another mini breeder that the young woman was out buying minis to take to a local auction she was bringing them home breeding them and selling them to unsuspecting homes as bred mares for more money than she had paid. The filly in question was only a yearling at the time. I am so happy my instincts were such that I didnt sell to her.

I have only had a few sour grapes to work with.

HOwever I have received some pictures of horses I have sold in the past and have been horrified in the care they have/haded recieved. This was another big part in not really wanting to breed anymore.

When I got Smokey my stallion, he had been sold at a sale barn to a horse trader.

Not knowing his back ground and how he was handled.

Over all he is ok but he is hard to ketch, and he would like to be left alone.

I wont my horses to be in your pocket so to speak.

When I got my mare Buttercup it was from a guy that didnt know much about horses.

And she has the same way about her hard to ketch and you cant pick up her back feet with out a fight.

Now the colts that i have raised out of them are just what i wont. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back