Worming a new horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniWrangler

Reaction score
I may possibly be bringing home a new horse in the near future that needs a little TLC. She has not been dewormed in quite a while, and I am wondering what would be the best way to go about taking care of this? She is underweight (not bony though) and her coat is rough to touch. Am I correct in thinking I should start her out with Strongid or SafeGuard and about a month later some ivermectin wormer? Should she be given the same amount you would normally give? I have heard of horses having complications from trying to pass too many dead worms at once, so I thought I would run it by you all. Thanks!
default_smile.png

Perheaps you should consult a vet....seems no one here wants to give advice on this subject. I know I wouldn't because of possible implications. But when you get an answer from your vet, maybe you could educate some of here, wondering what the solution is. :saludando:

A number of people myself included, are happy to give advice on this, either privately or publicly.

We are not Vets, true, but we do have a lot of experience and, last time I checked, worming was not a Vet issue!! I will post in full when I get in from feeding.

last time I checked, worming was not a Vet issue!!
Perhaps, routine worming is not, but if she has a horse that hasn't been wormed in a while, it can be, if she chooses to tube worm, or fears the horse may be in danger of passing too many worms at once. She already said the horse is underweight, IMO potentially neglected.

My years working in a vet office has taught me to NOT to give medical advice, even if I am knowlegdable about a subject, for fear of the person using my advice instead of seeking out the medical care for the animal. But since you know soooo much, go right ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini Wrangler I will share my experiences, and yes you should consult your vet as im not a vet! But I had recently brought home 4 new horses that were pasture kept. I gave them about 2 weeds to settle in here and when they were passing normal manure from feed changes, I gave each one a 1/2 dose of pancur/safeguard. Then about 3 weeks later I gave them a full dose of it, then a month after that I used ivermectin 1/2 dose. It can be very hard on them if they are indeed wormy and have not been wormed in some time. It is better to go lighter and use less harsh wormers than to just jump in and de-worm as you would a horse you have had and know the history on. But again this is my experience, hopes this answers your question. If the horse is very dibilitated(sp?) then I would most certainly seek the vets advice.

Justagirl, there is absolutely No reason to be so snippy!!

It may surprise you to know that some of us actually do know something and are not scared to share it.

It is not a question of "knowing sooo much" as you so cattily stated it is more a question of being willing to share knowledge with newcomers.

So long as there is no reason to consult a Vet (and as far as I know no-one on this Forum has ever suggested their information should be taken over a Vets - unless the Vet is incredibly "out there") I would suggest you start with Fenbendazole (Panacur/Safeguard) A half dose is little use but a full for weight dose once a day for five days will build up and gently clear roundworms and encysted small strongyles.

Fenbendazole itself cannot harm the horse BUT be warned, if the horse is very wormy, the dead and dying worms can cause impaction (this can happen whatever the method of worming, including tubing)

If all goes well with the Fenbendazole, and you get a satisfactory clear out, I would wait ten days (which is the life cycle of most worms, and then worm the correct amount for weight, with an Ivermectin based product.

If there are no complications I would wait another ten days and use a Praziquantel based product which will clear Tapeworms.

Your horse should now be a worm free zone.

After this you may use the wormer of your choice

DO NOT USE QUEST

which should be Ivermectin based, every eight weeks

Once or twice a year (depending on your area) you should do the Fenbendazole five day that clears encysted small strongyles.

Once a year you should use a combination wormer that contains Praziquantel for Tapeworms

Apart from this there is no need to "rotate" your wormers UNLESS you are aware of a problem with Ivermectin resistance in your area- it is unlikely but worth checking.

As with any information given, if in any doubt whatsoever run it by your Vet before instigation.

last time I checked, worming was not a Vet issue!!
HHH-mmmmm, I was responding to this remark, which seemed real snippity to me. So I responded with, what I got from you. Snippy .

Now perhaps some of us here should be careful how we word things because with out knowing the tone in which it is said, it can be taken the wrong way.

And no ever suggests that their advice be taken over that of a vet....but if are giving them the impression that you are very knowledgable on a subject, and make them feel comfotable taking advice from you, then you become responsible when something goes wrong.

No one had responded to MiniWrangler...that's why I even posted.

Perhaps you should wait until yo know people a little better before jumping in with snippy remarks??

There was absolutely nothing "snippy" about my remark, nor had it any "snippy" intentions- I guess you will see what you want to see, though.

Sorry but I do not have time for this sort of thing.

Someone was asking for help, I was giving it.

If you had been here longer you would know that this "should we give advice/should we just sit back and referr them to a a Vet and too bad if the horse dies" scenario is NOT one any of us take lightly.

Some of us have been in legal trouble (falsely and without foundation) for just this, but...well, we're still posting.

And No, it was not me!!!

I've read alot of your posts Rabbit, that's how I knew you were being snippy. Just because I haven't been around long, doesn't mean I haven't read what's here.

In alot of your posts you come across rude and arguementive, and I don't care for your tone no matter how much experience you have. I've seen you blast kids and newbies and think you need to check your ego.

Old timers like you are a lot of the reason newbies don't post.

I know I'll be blasted out of the water for this, but I don't care.

And if you don't have time for this then I don't expect you to respond.

Good Grief what right have you to come on an innocent thread asking for help with worming and do the exact thing you accuse me of!! How rude and ignorant is that??

How dare you make a snap decision about someone you have never met, and what makes you think you can come on a Public Forum and hide behind the fact that it is exactly that to insult people??

Sorry if you had thought you would come on here and be the only one who would know everything. sorry to disappoint you, but there are plenty of people who do know what they are talking about.

And you have the audacity to call me rude! Hah, .

Takes on to know one, apparently.

Sorry if you had thought you would come on here and be the only one who would know everything. sorry to disappoint you, but there are plenty of people who do know what they are talking about.
I never claimed to know everything....you pretty much have that all wrapped up don't you????

Like I said, I only posted because no one responded to Miniwrangler, and I didn't give advice, except to call her vet. You're the one that made the implications here, with your "since when is worming a vet issue?" comment .That post had been there since last night and no one responded, no one wanted to share, so I posted, and you have to come along and stir up the water by making a smart butt comment. Plain and simple.

Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Sorry MiniWrangler

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I hope you get some solution to your question.

Hey, mind if I butt in?
default_rolleyes.gif
: sometimes a post "just needs a bump up once or twice" before it gets noticed ... I dont have all the awnsers, about worming, but I do like using the milder forms of wormers like panicure, or safeguard, when not sure about the worm-load in a new horse.. That way the risk of too many worms dieing at once, and causing complications is minimized...

Thank you for sharing, it helps to have a general idea of what I'll be needing. Just to add to the first post, this horse is not in a terrible, sickly condition. She has been in a pasture probably the greater part of a year and only been pulled out a few times for a short ride or to lead some kids around on (she is a regular size horse). The owner has had other obligations (children, job) and fallen a good deal behind on the routine stuff. I can see a gorgeous mare under that rough coat and long hooves, just need some advice on the best way to bring that out.

I would welcome any PM's also, if you would rather share that way. And I intend to talk to a vet as well.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back