Worked some more with Krackerjack today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
Well he was getting a little bored of the same old stuff (back, walk, trot, lope, turn, etc) So i got the jump out just to see if he would do it with the saddle on. no pressure or anything if he refused he didn't have to. well he really liked it. Started him out on low jumps and he happily hopped over. Steadily raised it and man i didn't know this boy could get this much air (and he shows in hunter/jumper lol) I kinowhe will probably never jump with a kid on his back but it keeps him interested and on his toes. Tommorrow is his day off to relax (we had some rain so he is a mess anyway and the round pen is next to impossible not to slip around when it's wet) So here is some pictures from him today. Enjoy!!

27817jackjumpsaddle.JPG

27817jackpage.JPG

27817jackprejump.JPG

27817P7260012.JPG

(oh incase anyone wanted to know. I keep the reins on the saddle horn just using a hairtie. That way it has some elasticity to it and i don't have to worry about it moving all around on him. Plus i think it helps him because that is where a kid would be holding the reins and they would give him some pressure when holding on. It's not tight on him at all, reins are nice and loose when he's working.
default_smile.png
)

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOOOOOVE that second to last shot! He looks so adorable!

I do appreciate the explanation of what you did with his reins as I too was flinching slightly watching him jump with secured reins and a curb bit. I mean man, yank on a curb and you can ruin a horse!
default_wacko.png
: Especially for jumping as he would think he'd been punished for going over as that's when he'd get yanked and he might lose his confidence. But Krackerjack seems happy and is holding good form in all but that last shot so it must not be bothering him. Honestly, if the horse isn't complaining about something than I don't figure I have a right to.
default_wink.png
: Just be careful.

Those are great pictures! He looks adorable in a western bridle.
default_wub.png
:

Leia

I kept a good eye on him with the bit to make sure it wasn't pulling his mouth at all when he jumped. It did a little but not enough to bother him. Like i said i did that so it would move with him and if something did happen you can pull that thing off in a second. I even took the saddle and bridle off him and asked him to do some low jumps to make sure he was alright after. I use the hairtie when he is troting in the round pen also because i figured thats where a kid would have their hands and it's safer then them just laying there and they could possible catch on something and freak him out or hurt him. Soon i need to get some wieght in the saddle (dog food bags lol)

Yes thank you for telling us that there was some elastic in the reins while he went over. Being a show jumper myself I crinched thinking about the reins catching him in the mouth. What I do when I am lunging a big horse over jumps with the bit is I take the reins off. and put the lunge on a cavasson or I run the reins through the throatlatch and knot them at the end so they don't swing as much. Your little guy sure does break his back over the fences so he needs his head free. That is why you see jumpers doing the releases over the fences, so the horse can use his head to help him.

Courtney

:aktion033: thats one nifty little guy nice work..

Cute pic's and horse, but that is a Honking Huge bit, and elastic or no, please don't jump him like that, or if you are going to, share it. Why not use a soft snaffel?

It makes me shudder. I teach small children every day, and start minis to be ridden, and have Never felt the need to do such as you have there... My kids and ponies all horse show, and we do fences and jump, yes even the minis. What you have there is a disaster waiting to happen. I know he's willing and wonderful and forward, but it's still Not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back