Winter woolies vs shedded/clipped

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
My two little ones already have their winter woolies. They are so soft and fuzzy, but I am beginning to miss the smoothness of a clipped coat. Not to mention, I am paranoid that they will get too skinny or fat without me even noticing (poor things are getting tired of me feeling up on them daily!). They just look so fat to me, I fear what I'll find when the hair comes off next spring.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

So please set my mind at ease and share pictures of what your minis look like with big wooly coats vs their shedded out or clipped bodies. Thanks.

Maggie

maggiestandinginsnowmarch062.jpg

maggieeatingshinygoodjuly06.jpg

Theia

theiawalkingapringapril06.jpg

theiaafterbath7july06.jpg

Have to admit..... I like them both ways.
default_yes.gif
:

If you worry about weight...make sure you rub your hands over them every day. That way you can feel if they need more or less food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful horses, thanks for sharing.
default_yes.gif
:

But I have to admit, I think by the looks of your horses, mine are definately plump. :bgrin Oh well, better going into the cold season with extra weight, then not enough weight!!!

l like the winter hairballs more time for myself :bgrin

mayo6.jpg

and the summer naked look
default_smile.png

monietspring.jpg

Holy cow!!! There just might be hope for my two afterall. HAHA. Your horse is such a cutie in the woolies.
default_wub.png
:

In regards to winter weight under the woolies---FEEL don't LOOK. It's nearly impossible to properly judge condition beneath all that hair. What looks fat could just be a ton of hair, and what looks 'good' might really be way underweight. Feel for the backbone. It should not be protruding at all. Feel for ribs. That can be really tough under the hair so take your time. You should have to press a bit to feel ribs normally, but under that hair, mostly I check that I can't feel them period because if you can at all they're probably too thin considering the extra coat. I've always gone by, if you can feel the backbone, they need more grain. If you can feel ribs they need more hay.

Yep, I feel them everyday, and just as a precautionary, I have my husband check too. That way if I miss something, he can point it out or vice versa. No bones anywhere.
default_smile.png
But I've never heard the backbone/grain, ribs/hay theory before. Thanks for sharing it.

Back