WINDOWS 8 -- Hints / Tips???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Are any of you using Windows 8? If so, can you share some tips???

The Netbook I bought at the end of last year feels SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow, so I "replaced" it with a new netbook / ultrabook... but this one has Windows 8.'

I think I knew it had that, but I surely didn't realize how different it feels that any kind of Windows that I've used before.

Never in the past, at least not in a decade and a half, have I looked forward to setting up a new computer. My new one arrived last Friday, and while I want the faster processor and the greatly increased memory, I did NOT look forward to setting it up.

So, I put it off all weekend, and tried it on Monday. OMG! In about 2hrs, I was blinking back tears.

Seriously, I do not "get" Windows 8. It looks SO different than what I've used before (ALL prior versions of Windows, iPhone and Android). b

I am wanting to reach out in case any of you all can give me some tips? I will dive into it tomorrow morning early, and probably wake up more than a few times to ponder it. Sure it's good, but just, OMG, I do not GET it at all so far...But feeling I must, because we are a "windows" office so this IS what we use.

One of my assistants has a husband who IS an IT guy, but I'm just so picky when I set up a computer for myself, and it's a big part of my knowing how to USE it (which is the whole idea!) that I do not want to hire this out.

ANYONE else here already using Windows 8, and if so....................... Can you give me some hints?

I had Win8, then downgraded back to Win7. I 'get' Win8, but I don't like it for business use.

First tip is make the first page look like your old start menu. I got rid of all the tiles that come on the landing page, and put the things I use on there instead like MS Word, Excel, Outlook, my photo editing, etc. Then I can just use them directly.

Here's a free tutorial that has some linked tips and demos: http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windows8/

Thank you! I do want it to look like the traditional start menu for sure. I had geared myself up to get on it this morning, but I may wait until my husband's home tonight. He is NOT a tech person, at all, but at least he can help calm me down usually. I did bring home the software I use for my work, assuming it will run on this new computer.

I was completely not prepared for the interface to look so different, but relieved to see there's a way to make it look more like what I'm used to. It's really true -- the older you get, the harder this stuff becomes!!! I used to be pretty good with computers, but that's in a time gone by at this point!!!

I'm in IT, so get to be the guinea pig tester for lots of stuff. If you have any specific questions ask, I might be able to help and I can go figure it out on another machine since I took it off mine.

Thank you! I haven't dove in yet but soon. Really procrastinating on it
default_sad.png

It's long past time for me to update, but I only JUST starting using my "new" laptop as my main computer a week or so ago. After I saw a commercial about being able to make it look like the regular "Windows 7" type of a desktop, I thought maybe I could "learn" it after all (basically learn how to make it work like I'm used to working!). Now, I love it!!! I have set up the laptop I bought probably nearly a year ago, and it's running great. I do like the flexibility to switch to an Android sort of touch interphase, and am used to that from my tablets and smart phones, but for a "computer" I just want to have the "office" experience. It's really neat with Windows 8, you can do both. The nerd in me is super impressed that Microsoft has found a way for people to have both kinds of an interaction in one device
default_yes.gif
And I'm happy I was able to install all my MSOffice programs, email, etc. in the interface I'm used to when it comes to getting work done!
default_biggrin.png

Glad its working out for you. My MIL got a desktop with Windows 8 and so far, she hates it. [she doesn't have the touch screen feature, as she didn't order a new monitor with the new tower.] She's only ever worked on a desktop or laptop, so the tablet type set-up is causing her much frustration.

I HATE Windows 8 !! I keep it on my computer but use Mozilla Firefox for my browser.

Latest posts

Back