Willie did something to himself..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_minihorses4ever_

Reaction score
Well, Willie did something to himself, and I am not sure what to put on it for the hair to start growing back. I normally wouldn't bother to do anything, but I have a show in about a month. So, what would you guys put on it? And, you don't think it will scar, do you?

Silly horses.. They are always finding some way to hurt themselves. :DOH!

Thanks!

WilliesScratch002.jpg

WilliesScratch001.jpg

WilliesScratch003.jpg

My gelding did that right before Congress last year, one tiny stallion reached through the fence and bit him a bit on his side, looked like they just ripped the hair and top of the skin somewhat, no real blood. Anyway, it healed over and kind of got "flakey" and i continued putting vasoline and MTG on it. He did it about a month before congress and it looked fine ...you couldnt even tell. BUT! When i body clipped him, the hair was darker where it grew back in and there was still a few spots missing hair. It looked like i did a half hearted clip and missed a few spots on his side bt it was just the darker hair
default_no.gif

I have a photo somewhere ....

This was right after i body clipped him and turned him out to the drylot, notice right behind his shoulder the big darker spot that looks like i didnt clip that area at all? Then a smaller spot on his shoulder too.

102_3062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MTG if you have it. If not, I have heard that Preparation H cream helps hair grow back fast.

i've never had to use it but i've had lots of horsey people tell me that bacon grease will grow hair back quicker than anything. go figure!

if you aren't sure what caused it, i'd be checking him for some sort of fungus too.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Most judges don't care a BIT about "pasture dings" and other non-genetic injuries. Put some grooming chalk on it to make it the same color of the coat and go about your business.

Your horse's condition, fit, conformation, and presentation by you are what REALLY matters.

Good luck!

Andrea

A & D Ointment, the stuff you put on babies butts , get it from WalMart. Works super. I will add photos tomorrow, if I can find them, my QH ripped his entire forearm off and layed it down over his knee, in 1 yr, his wound area looked like a crease or cowlick on his forearm, no scarring, hair grew back perfectly. All to Schrieners and A & D ointment. And even after all the stitches blew on day 3. He healed up wonderfully.

Latest posts

Back