Wild residents on our property...PICS!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

Reaction score
This first pic is of 2 Coopers Hawk babies. We weren't sure if they were Coopers Hawks or Sharp-shinned Hawks as they are very much alike. We sat with our binoculars and bird books and determined these are Coopers.

One of the babies is about dead center in the pic. It is standing on the nest. The other baby is down and a little to the left.

edfce30a.jpg

We knew these guy were around because we have been seeing them all the time. They were fairly quiet when the babies were little, but they are a bit more vocal now. :bgrin It is fun to watch now because the babies don't stray to far from the nest. They are practicing a lot with their wings. Then when momma or daddy show up with food, we get to watch these two awkward birds trying to be the first back to the nest. As the days go by, they get a little braver and wander a little farther away from the nest.

Almost the same pic as before:

edfce2d1.jpg

This one is momma or daddy taken from my bathroom window. We think it's the momma as from what we read, daddy doesn't do much to help out with the kids.

edfce2d0.jpg

This is a pic from outside and a wee bit closer.

edfce286.jpg

Then we have a pic of a little frog that moved into our little pond. We have 2 big frogs and 2 little frogs that we know of. Never had a tadpole in the pond, so these guys just moved in from somewhere.

edfce1ca.jpg

Next we have this nice old birdhouse that my dad made many years ago.

edfce069.jpg

Here's the current residents.

edfce1a6.jpg

edfce187.jpg

These babies are Eastern Bluebirds. There are four of them crammed in there. This is the second family this years in this house.

There's so many years that the bluebirds don't come nest here and now this year they have two families when we also have hawks!! :new_shocked: I'm just surprised that the hawks didn't chase the bluebirds away.

I am anxious to see if when the hawk babies start coming down out of the tree, if they use our bird baths. A few years back we had Red Tailed Hawks that nested here and the those babies used the bird baths. That was quite a sight!! :new_shocked:

wow :aktion033: talk about and educating thread, those pictures are fantastic, thank you so much for sharing them

Awesome pics Sharon! Yep I saw the hawks in the pics sitting there perched. One year we had a family nest here in the back pasture trees. That was the year I did'nt turn the chickens out to pick. I love that old bluebird house and the babies are adorable!! We now have a frog like the one in your pond occupying our Iris plant in our pond too. I was beginning to think after moving the pond and setting it up on higher ground we would'nt get any...but they find their way in somehow.

Typos!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Those were great! The hawks and their kin are my totem and I never tire of their visits, not many cooper's here, you are so lucky!

Latest posts

Back