Wiffle ball danger

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
I want to tell how I almost had a tragedy w/ my Buck today. We went grocery shopping this morning and when we came home my son was playing wiffle ball. He hit a ball into the horse pen. I was upstairs putting groceries away...he came in and told me and I said I'd get it when I came out, thinking no big deal. Well, about 10 min later I was done and bringing the garbage out. I saw both horses standing on the side of the barn and at first I thought, hmm Buck is yawning...then I quickly realized he had the ball stuck in his mouth! I flew in there with him and managed to pop it back out...how I got it back out, I don't know. Just one of those things that that happens when faced with an emergency. It was right behind his front teeth, but it allowed his mouth to mostly close. He stood there with his head kinda hanging down a bit. The ball was covered in blood.
default_sad.png
He was breathing fine but his gum color was a little pale. He just stood there, didn't seem like he wanted to follow me. I let him rest then went and got the cookie jar. He made his way over to me and ate a cookie. Phew...that made me feel alot better.

After a little bit I tossed him some hay and he was eating. Aside from some small cuts on his gums, he seems fine. Later he got to enjoy some time in the pasture. Thank God I was home and could get the ball out or who knows how sadly it could have ended. I showed my son the ball after and told him when he hits another ball in there, he needs to make someone get it right away. Don't let anyone tell him to wait or that they will get it later. We were lucky it had a happy ending.

Just sharing so hopefully it doesn't happen to someone else.

Angie

You narrowly avoided a serious tragedy, thank goodness! And thankfully your son told you the ball was in there! This is a good reminder to all of us to always be on the lookout for danger and be aware of our horses' surroundings, because you just never know! Heck, a twig could break off a tree and fall into a dry lot and the horse could get that wedged in his mouth, too.

You narrowly avoided a serious tragedy, thank goodness! And thankfully your son told you the ball was in there! This is a good reminder to all of us to always be on the lookout for danger and be aware of our horses' surroundings, because you just never know! Heck, a twig could break off a tree and fall into a dry lot and the horse could get that wedged in his mouth, too.

YEP A friend of mine had a foal DIE from a twig stuck in its mouth!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked

Last edited by a moderator:
My motto with horses is if there is a way they can try and kill themselves they will. At least with my horses. My neighbor's big horses live with all kinds of junk and booby traps around them and never get hurt. I told my vet once that if mine were over there she would be out here every day!

Yikes! My heart is racing at just the the thought of what you must have felt when you realized what was happening. Glad that you were able to fix things and he will be none the worse for wear!!

Goodness!
default_new_shocked.gif
I know you have to be careful with dogs to make sure balls aren't either too big or too small, but who would have thought you'd have to worry about that with a horse?
default_wacko.png
Glad he's okay.

Leia

I was so thankful to see my buddy happy, healthy and playing today. He sure did give me a scare. Hope this helps keep your horses safe. The best I can guess is that when he went to bite at it, it popped in his mouth.

Angie

Latest posts

Back