Wi fi explanation needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
Trying to register a Kindle keyboard I bought on e bay for my 99 yr old friend for her birthday March 13.Got it since she can use mine&less new stuff for both of us to try to learn.I have a Net Gear thing for my laptop and my own Kindle.Kindle is asking me for password for Wi fi connection (haven't a clue what it is since Karl's grandson set everything up 2 yrs ago and paper with password&other info is long gone.Can I do anything here at home? If not can I go somehwere that has Wi Fi and register it there>library?cafe?etc Once I get to where I can register it how do I put books on her Kindle using my Amazon account? I need really basic simple language explanations since I am almost technology and computer illiterate- I just stumble and fumble my way around.

Good question, I'm going to be watching the responses you get, I have the same problems and won't buy a kindle until I get it figured out.

Try looking on the wireless router for a code. If you find one enter it as the password.

Oops, just realized by your explanation. You will have to go to a location where there is free wi FI and link your device.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can download kindle books on some else's kindle with your account. I looked into that with my grandson. If the kindle is registered to you, that would be different.

Maybe you can call the company who supplies your wireless and ask them how to find the password.

I think Marsha is right, you would have to register your friends kindle in your name and then you can share your account and the books on it.

Call technical support on kindle.com they are awesome and helpful and will tell you all your options and what works easiest. I have used them frequently. Amazon.com is a great second option. Again. Great technical support. Best wishes. Love my kindles Ps I call on my cell and they walk me through it while they wait to see if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
The password it wants is you internet password. You would need to register it to your amazon account.

I'm not sure about kindle, but I got a nook for Christmas and had to go to verizon and buy a wi-fi thingy called a jet pack to get a signal at my farm. I would call whereever you got the kindle and see what they say. That is what I had to do with my nook.

Called Kindle support.I have to go to library or somewhere that has Wi Fi Deregister Kindle since it is already registered to previous owner. then register it to my account and books ordered will go to both Kindles.I will have to step up my reading since she reads lots more than I do.Plan to go in town on Tuesday to do this.Will let you know when I get it all done.Thanks for all the suggestions.

Let me take a shot at it.

Think of your Net Gear router as the dividing point.

From the NG out to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is called Wireless (unless of course you have DSL or Cable). In any case the router makes the connection to your provider and it should have the uid and password coded in it. You should not need that unless you make changes to it.

From the NG inward is called WiFi. Anyone can attach to the router via an ethernet cable or via radio using 802.11 G/N protocol. When your router was set up it could be set up either unsecured or secured meaning when somone attaches to your WiFi they may or may not have to enter a userid and password. Unsecured means anyone can attach at any time and use your internet connection without your knowledge. Secured means they have to enter a user id and password. When your grandson set it up he most likely set it up secured and should have written down the uid and password. You will have to have this. He also probably set it in your Kindle so you wouldn't have to enter it every time.

Ask the Kindle to search for networks. If yours comes back with a little picture of a padlock this is the case and you will have to find the uid and password to connect. Depending on the NG router you should be able to have several devices connected at any time.

After you make this connection the Kindle will be attached to the Internet and you're on your own connecting to whatever site you need to get to.

Clear as mud.

Went to my local computer repair store and they let me use their Wi Fi to set up new Kindle.It is now registered in my name.Ordered some books but not sure which Kindle they went to. Tonights project is to see where all the new ones are.I got lots of free and 99 cent and cheap ones for her.Can't wait until next week March 13 to give it to her.

Grandson came today and got WiFi hooked up for me.Showed me how to check on Kindle to make sure Wi FI is still on.Think I got it under control for the time being.Wed is getting here quickly for the 99th birthday.

Latest posts

Back