WHY????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justagirl

Reaction score
I live in a rural area of NC, and there seems to be an overwhelming amount of equine starvation around me.

No matter where I go in my area, it never fails, I see pasture after pasture of starving horses.

I inquired with my local Humane Society and as of today, there is no one to oversee these cases. I was directed to animal control and had no luck there either. Seems my county DOES NOT set asside funds to allow for such a position. To me this is disgusting. My county is full of horses and CLAIMS to be a n animal friendly county, but does nothing to make sure that starving horses have resources to be used to help them.

Why ??? why do people get horses and them starve them?? Why don't more counties have resources to help them?? What can we do as a horse loving society to make sure our equine friends aren't subjected to such inhumane situations. :no: Hay is abundent in our area , there is no reason for these animals to be in this condition.

If anyone in my state has resources to help these animals, please contact me privately.

Do what somebody did in my area when a couple of horses were severely malnourished: Call the local TV news station and newspapers. There is nothing more compelling, and nothing gets action quicker, than video or photos of starving animals. It embarrasses people in power, and it creates a public outcry to do something about it.

You should come by my place. You could see dry lot after dry lot of FAT horses
default_wacko.png
:

When I lived in NC, I volunteered for an outfit called Carolina Animal Protection Society (CAPS). I'm not sure if they are still around or not.

I agree with Mountain Waif: Talk to the people first. There could be a reason for it. And even if there's animal control, do your homework that they know what they're doing, too. I have had horses half my life and have gone hungry so they could be fed and yet there's a busybody here that loves to call animal control on my 22 year old arab mare saying she's being abused. They've accused me of not giving her adequate fresh grass (In the dead of a zone 6b winter) of not feeding her (Everything around here is thoroughbreds, warmbloods, and fat ponies so of course she looks tiny!), of not giving her water (The trough is on the other side of the shed, and not visable from the road) yet, the neighbor's horse goes about on cracked and splitting hooves and no one cares because she's "really old" at 10 years and the family is well known. (Yay for small towns!) Add to that, the animal control here is clueless when it comes to horses and said my miniature (Who is already on a diet) needed to have a round bale in her paddock so she could have access to hay 24/7. I asked them if they were going to buy me a new mini when they killed my old one. If she was on constant hay I could tie ropes to her hooves and enter her in the Macy's Day Parade!
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back