Why X=-rays are a must!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willowoodstables

Reaction score
Poor Winston is out for 6 weeks. He was getting a little hitchy in his rear when showing in harness. So I made an appointment with our local "leg man" vet for a lameness exam. He did all sorts of flexion and pony trotted off with a 2 to 3 on lameness scale (out of 10). He also felt grinding in hock so he suggested hock injections. No Problem, he also suggested that we xray hocks to see what really was going on in there, but he felt that they maybe were not critical to have the xray. I said why the heck not, its only $110 and I'd like to know for peace of mind that there is no compromisation (sp) in the joint.

Well holy crap the Grade 1 OCD is not the problem, the freaking stress fracture of his tibia is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know my jaw was hanging open for sure!! Suprised the crap out of the vet too, he has no suspicion of any fracture. His words" this darn pony has the highest tolerance to pain I've ever seen!!!!" So home we go, me bawling thinking I am a bad mom for continuing to work him (BUT he never took a bad step or head bob ever!!!). We figure he did it a show two weeks ago when he stood straight up in the cart and launched himself about 10 feet. There was a curb there and we figure he just stepped wrong on the curb with his total weight on hind legs and snap..fracture.

The bonus is no seperation or no arthritis so 6 weeks easy turnout/hand walk and then re-xray. If fracture is gone he gets the OCD dealt with via hydraulic(sp) fluid as it is a minor case of OCD.

Word of wisdom....always xray as the seeming problem may hide another one. The hitchy rear was there before the fracture, thank goodness I didn't just keep going and ignore it. it could have snapped his tibia under a big stress...

Now tell me, does this look like a pony with a broken leg!!!!???

027-025-09SYR.jpg

Now this was before the launch episode, and interestingly after the launch episode he never held a leg, BUT he went terrible (no wonder) and here is a pic to show the difference of a pony in discomfort (not pain as it is NOT in his vocabulary..vet said he should have been hopping on three legs!!)

213-011-09SYR.jpg

Thanks for listening, and hopefully someone can take something away from this..the tough ones are tough!! This is the same pony that showed with an abcess last year without a bobble!!!!

Kim

Kim,

That pony loves you and wouldn't disappoint you in any way. You can tell his heart was trying to please you and do well in the ring. They know when they have a job to do and like any athlete they do their very best even hurt.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Glad you were persistant about getting the x-ray's.

Karen

I wish all of my horses had HALF the heart yours obviously does! Don't beat yourself up, I probably wouldn't have caught it either!! Consider yourself very lucky.

Oh dear, poor guy!! Well, sure glad you had him checked out and sounds like you are giving him the best of care! Who would've thunk it?! I bet he will be fully recovered soon and back to his usual self and bless his heart for having the gumption and try that he does!

I'm assuming your horse isn't into compulsive organizing or hand washing, so what, precisely, is Grade 1 OCD in horse terms??
default_wacko.png

I'm sorry to hear about his injury, that's scary as all get-out and I'm so glad you caught it. Makes me think I should go get my little guy x-rayed or bone scanned for his assumed "back injury" and make sure it's not something else.
default_unsure.png

Leia

What an amazing pony he is! Its wonderful u went the extra mile to find the problem. Cant believe his leg is broken in that 2nd photo.

I'm assuming your horse isn't into compulsive organizing or hand washing, so what, precisely, is Grade 1 OCD in horse terms??
default_wacko.png

I'm sorry to hear about his injury, that's scary as all get-out and I'm so glad you caught it. Makes me think I should go get my little guy x-rayed or bone scanned for his assumed "back injury" and make sure it's not something else.
default_unsure.png

Leia
LOL Leia, no he is not a compulsive hand washer LOLOL

Here is a description of OCD

What is osteochondrosis (OCD)?

Osteochondrosis is a form of developmental orthopedic disease that involves a local or generalized failure of endochondral ossification affecting the epiphyseal and/or metaphyseal cartilage. Two clinical syndromes affect horses:

osteochondrosis dessicans (OCD)

subchondral cyst-like lesions (bone cysts)

and here is the link

OCD in horses

Grade 1 is very minor, the stress fracture much more so, he is sad sad sad in his stall wanting to go to work with the rest of the crew, but I give him lots of love and hugs and a new jolly ball to beat up!

Kim

Latest posts

Back