Why when I loan someone an item

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
I'm serious. I try to help others. I have loaned my stuff out and believe I'm not wealthy. I just try to help out. Then the next thing I know I'm the bad person. I am very confused about this. Can someone please explain how this happens please.

I feel your pain. I never mind letting someone borrow tack, hay, anything I may have that they need. Then you either never get it back or its broken or damaged. Then you turn into the bad guy for mentioning the fact that what they borrowed in broken or ask a favor of them. Love it.

I have learned over the years to stay in my circle of trusted friends and just say no!

I am also one of those bad guys! I've come to the conclusion, NO MORE! One of my daughters is not speaking to me now just for this reason, I loaned them my truck on a Saturday and asked her to return it Sunday morning. Well Sunday morning came and went, afternoon came and went, then that evening she calls, needless to say by that time my husband was fuming and said bring Mom's truck home now! He then drove her home. Another time I loaned someone my ridding helmet, that forgot theirs, it took me six months to get it back, then I loaned it to my daughter in law, that was two years ago, needless to say I'm still waiting for it and the western saddle I loaned her. I have loaned out so many things over the years that don't get returned that now I just say No! Money doesn't grow on trees!

I guess I am a bad person too. I loaned a round pen to a relative so they could turn their minis out while they built their fence. Well a year and a half later I desparately needed the fence back - (two leased horses returned to me). Needless to say they havent spoken to me since. Friends that I have loaned equipment to or trucked their horses to shows/vets etc and never even gotten a simple thank you. Oh well I have learned to say no.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who advised, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be"...it's pretty good advice.

Margo

Call me selfish, but I've never been much for loaning my stuff to people. I hate to loan books to others, they always seem to come back with broken spines (unless I bought a book used or it was was given to me, I don't break spines while reading them). I don't loan stuff to smokers, as I don't want my stuff coming home smelling of smoke. I don't loan out my pick-up or trailer. To be honest, the only things I've loaned are things I don't care if I do get back; then I'm not disappointed when I don't see them again.
default_wacko.png

and, on the same note, I rarely, if ever borrow something from someone else. But, when I do, its promptly returned when I'm done with it; after a good cleaning, when necessary.

I guess I am a real bad guy. Because, I will not loan any thing. But, I will help them with my stuff. They do not get to take it home. That way I know where my stuff is. Well, unless I like leave it in the trailer and don't look there.

we loaned out our cargo trailer a year ago to a friend to move, he still has it...says he has 2 more trips to make (very slow movers ey?) anyhow, we saw it the other day and it is all dented, dirty, and rusting because he used it in the salt and never cleaned it off....I'm sure he hasn't greased the hubs either so who knows what shape they are in. This is a $3,000 trailer, I'm not real happy right now! I only recall ever borrowing one thing from someone...it was a chainsaw. A very large tree fell down in our yard and our little saw couldn't handle it so he offered his...we gave it back to him 2 days later and when he opened the case he didn't think it was the same saw....my husband scrubbed it clean, tightened the chain, and bought him a spare chain...he said anytime you want to borrow anything again feel free....thats how it's suppose to be...you give it back in the same shape or even better!

Sonya, I agree with you. In our case it seems that on the very rare occasion we borrow anything it chooses that time to break in some way. We have spent more money repairing borrowed junk than if we had just gone out and got our own (which is what we almost always do anyway) If we think we'll only need it for one use we just rent it for a day or a weekend. We do occasionally lend out our stock trailer but the rules are made very very clear from the beginning; It will be returned promptly in the same condition it left in or the borrower will repair any damages and it will be cleanAnyone who fails to follow these rules will find that it is not available in the future.

That happened a lot to me in the past, now I no longer loan any thing out.

Now if someone needs help, I will go over with my tools, help and bring my tools back home with me. I can't afford to replace things people take or break.

I loaned 2 10-gallon aquariums with screen lids plus 2 water-bottles and holders to a friend who's rats had babies and they had no place to put the mama rats and their pinkies (should have really had plans for such an occassion). Well, I moved and asked them if I could have the stuff back (it had been 3 months so I'm certain they didn't need them anymore).

They claimed their 2-year old kid broke one tank and one of the rats chewed throught the other. I asked them if there was any way I could at least get the screen lids and water bottles and holders back. They then claimed their phone was breaking up and hung up on me. Never heard from them again.

Don't loan things out...EVER. No matter how long you've been friends. Sad to say, family can't be trusted either.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pet peeve is people who want to move all the time and think because you have a pickup you are available. Not only do they want to use your pickup, they want you to carry heavy things.

I saw a good bumper sticker: Yes this is my pickup. No you can't borrow it.

Latest posts

Back