Why is...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
Pixie is digging in the dirt and eating it. I'm assuming she's lacking something. What?

I'm beginning to think it's just a "mini" thing. My little devils dig like crazy. Nothing is lacking in their diet (I have tried everything to no avail, exercise, supplements, minerals, other toys to play with) yet they will dig holes in their paddock you can drop a VW into. They love to chew wood too so we have everything wrapped in metal. They rip the privacy slats out of my chainlink even though we have 3 strands of hot wire. I don't know how they do it. We have to keep the gates chained because they learned how to open them. I've even tried setting mouse traps in the hole to dissuade them but now they think it's great fun to set them off and proudly trot around around with the snapped traps in their mouths.
rolleyes.gif
I've given up. They dig, I fill, they dig, I fill...that's the drill!
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
I don't know, and I'm not a vet. But when I was asking the vet about the possibility of ulcers on a horse, she asked if he ate dirt. Just a thought.

You shouldn't let her eat it because she could colic. There are products out there to help get sand out of the system.

Shelley, what did you decide to feed them? Did you find a good mare/foal feed? or check out the products we suggested? I keep a red mineral block out for my kids, they love it. She could just have found a tasty spot. Be sure she has toys and hay to nibble, enough feed too. Have you had the vet out yet? The mini kids will keep you hopping. You'll get some good advice here.

Sometimes, yes, it is a mineral deficiency; at least it was in our case a couple years ago when our horses were eating dirt. We got different mineral blocks for them, and that stopped the dirt eating. Some of them will go back to eating dirt within a couple days of running out of mineral, so we make sure that as soon as one block gets low we put another out.

With the foals, sometimes they just don't seem to go look for the mineral block--usually we put the blocks in the shed, out of the weather, but once in awhile we'll notice a foal out eating dirt in one corner of the paddock. I then throw a block out in that spot, and the baby will go for the mineral & leave the dirt alone. The foal seems to want the mineral, but won't go in the shed to look for it.

I don't believe that in the case of our horses it's boredom that makes them eat dirt or munch down their minerals. If we start top dressing a loose mineral on their oats, their consumption of the blocks cuts way back. We discontinue the top dressed mineral, they go for the blocks again. If they were simply bored, they'd keep eating the blocks regardless of what was added to their grain.

I had that here too and I got it to stop too.

My foal and some of the horses MUST have been deficient in something because they were eating dirt and my foal too.

I put out 50 pound salt and mineral blocks. Each field has one red one and one white one. Then I also put out containers of Purina 12 12 free choice minerals.

Don't let the foal eat the dirt. He'll sand colic on you. Try some of these blocks and minerals.

sometimes it looks like they are eating dirt when they are actually digging down and getting fresh green sprouts of grass. They love to do this but its horribly hard on the pasture.

Tuffy did that, he'd dig and eat in this one little spot in his pen...and nowhere else. Scared me to death, I was worried about the sand/dirt in his belly, but he's fine. He has a mineral block and salt, too.

I think it's just sometimes the find something tasty in the dirt. I eventually had to put a piece of plywood over that spot (made my yard look wonderful
wacko.gif
) to keep him from nosing around and eating the dirt there.

yankee_minis said:
I don't know, and I'm not a vet.  But when I was asking the vet about the possibility of ulcers on a horse, she asked if he ate dirt.  Just a thought.
You shouldn't let her eat it because she could colic.  There are products out there to help get sand out of the system.

481873[/snapback]

And how exactly do I keep her from doing it when I'm not with her? If she's determined to do it, I don't really know how I could stop that. Molly doesn't do it... just her baby.

Dimimore said:
Shelley, what did you decide to feed them?  Did you find a good mare/foal feed?  or check out the products we suggested?  I keep a red mineral block out for my kids, they love it.  She could just have found a tasty spot.  Be sure she has toys and hay to nibble, enough feed too.  Have you had the vet out yet?  The mini kids will keep you hopping.  You'll get some good advice here.
481913[/snapback]

No, haven't got the vet out yet. I'm feeding them a sweet feed... I have two bags of it. I don't know how much to feed them. I've been just giving them a big scoop cause they eat grass in the pasture too.

How do I know how much to feed? I don't want to give them too much.

Got a salt block but didn't even occur to me to get a mineral block. What an idiot! I'll do that and see if that makes any difference. The don't seem too wild about their salt block. Hopefully, they'll like the mineral block better!

She doesn't just dig in one spot.

Ok Shelley, you're a good mini mom but relax a bit. I'll tell you how I feed. Sweet feed is just fine. As for a "scoop", how big a scoop? I use an 8 oz plastic cup to measure out my feed. What with your sweet Molly and Pixie I would feed them 2 times a day am & pm about 3 cups or so. See how they like it. Pixie should be liking feed now too. Give them a nice soft hay morning and nite. Course hay can be difficult for minis to both chew and digest. I'm betting a mineral block will help her out.

PS: you can't call your self an idiot. You are learning and look at all you ask and learn about. By spring you'll be an old pro. There are no dumb questions. Lots of folks use salt blocks. I like the mineral ones best.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO babies should never be in a dry lot..... SAND COLIC

Latest posts

Back