Why a #30 blade on pintos?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
I'm not critizing or slamming the practice, I'm just wondering what the advantages to using a finer blade gets on a pinto for showing. I have 2 "white" horses that I show but I generally use a #10. We do live in an extremely sunny area and I fear sunburn with anything finer.

Inquiring minds want to know
default_smile.png

I use a #15 when I body clip mine. But I show Pinto not AMHA or AMHR. I personally think a #30 is too close.....I don't want naked horses. I use a #30 and #40 on their face, but I also don't bald.

I have no idea why someone would use a 30 blade on ANY horse for a full body cut!

We prefer using a #10 for the body, a #15 for parts of the face, and #40 for the muzzle and over the eyes.

That's just us.....

MA

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought on sunburn.

Any horse that has been body clipped with a 30 blade should not be turned out to full force sun exposure for at least several days after clipping. Most show horses are kept inside in stalls anyways. To me, there is no risk of sunburn if the horse is not outside in the sun.

I have seen such horses sunburn at horse shows standing in a halter class and waiting for them outside the ring, but that was in FL. I like to use a 9 blade on my pinto mare.

Karen

I have used #30 blade before on pintos. It helps show off the black lining of their skin. At my first Nationals I saw many people do this so I did it too.

Nope, will not do it again. I will not keep my show horses in a stall for long periods at a time. I find the #15 blade to be just effective but does not clip close enough to the skin to worry about sunburns.

I dont have pintos, but Appies, who sometimes have mottling underneath and other pigments, but will only use a 10 on the body. We use a 15 on the legs and head and then finish off the head with a 30 and 40.

Yes, I also have seen horses just turn red standing in the sun at a show. I know it's gotta hurt! Maybe throwing a clean towel or something over them til time to go in the ring would help?

I have no idea why someone would use a 30 blade on ANY horse for a full body cut!
Yeah, I'm not really sure either .... but then, our horses live outside almost exclusively and, even with fly spray and sunscreen, they need to have some protection!

Thanks for the replys. I appreciate you sharing.

I personally don't use anything smaller than a #10 on the bodies. I haven't shown "big time", just local.

I was just wondering what the advantage of cutting closer would be and Sunraye mentioned the mapping. Mine have enough mapping they show it without cutting that close. Just lucky I guess.

Thanks!

WHO uses a 30 on pintos? I show practically ALL pintos have only once used a 15 when I had several shows in a row and didn't have time to reclip. I body clip with a 10 up to the cheeks and then use several different blades on the head.

The only time I ever use 30's for body clipping is at the Nationals............I want every hair cleaned off.........other than that I clip everything in a 15, and I have pintos and have hardly any sunburn problems, and I live in the HOT HOT SUNNY part of Washington State.

"WHO uses a 30 on pintos?" txminipinto

Actually, many top trainers do... on various solids, pintos AND apps. As a professional groomer, I prefer show clipping horses with a #30 whenever I can "get away with it" (ie. not on cremellos, etc.) as the look is definitely cleaner overall and lasts longer than a clip done with a #15. Seriously, WHO uses a #10 anymore?! (Just kidding! I do... sometimes... by request only...) Of course clipped horses need to be kept from getting sunburned for a while after their clip even when it's cloudy, but it's not as though they can't be turned out for weeks afterwards. It's also important to note that one must be very careful when clipping with a #30 to avoid painful nicks in sensitive areas.
default_yes.gif
:

Many TOP trainers use a 30 blade, particularly at the National level. Note this generally only applies to OPEN HALTER classes.

One reason is that (especially at Nationals) the hair takes longer to grow back, so it saves re-clipping. Also, the closer the blade, the less ''tracks'' you will notice. All colors of horse can be clipped with a 30 blade, and it helps make the definition of a well-muscled fit horse stand out and you can show off every vein and muscle (this has no bearing on a fat our out of shape or underweight horse). It helps make the sleekest line possible on your horse.

That said, I always body clip with a 10 blade, but the few times I have body clipped with a 15 blade I have liked the results better. Just have a lot of 10s laying around so that's what I normally do. And at the local level, my horses stand tied outside the trailer all day and I don't want them to burn.

Andrea

I use 30 on my pintos because that means I can clip them 3 days out instead of the day before with a 15 what pita doing the day before usually Im driving to the show.

I think a #10 is even very close, some pinto´s will get very pink even with a #10 and will sunburn too, I cannot imagine clipping a pinto with a #30, even on a solid it´s só close.
default_unsure.png
:

I normally clip a week before a show with a #10 or #15 on the body, with a week to grow back some color I think it´s much prettier.

Latest posts

Back