Who still has his first miniature?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got Dapper Dan when he was 5 years old. He was a stallion, had never been out of the lot since he was weaned, and had rarely been haltered. He is a bay, my color of choice, and had the habit of sticking his tongue out. I had heard this was a sign of friendliness. When I brought him home, my bil thought he should be named Ivan the Terrible instead of Dapper Dan.

I've had him 12 years. I had not had a horse for 35 years, and had never trained one, so Dapper Dan and I learned from/with each other. He is hard headed and resistant; if he weighed #1100 I could not handle him. But we've had so many adventures together that I can hardly imagine life without him. He is chock-full of personality! Other horses may come and go, but Dapper Dan is here to stay. My non-horse husband has promised to take care of him if I die first.

He is my avatar horse.

My first miniature, Belle, passed away 4 years ago. She was a black and white pinto I purchased as a baby from Owsley Fork Farm in KY back in the early 1990's. I still have my second mini, "Ted" aks Call Me Mr Victory. He is black and a whole 30 inches tall, he is also going to be 17 this coming year. I have since added to my "herd" and have had them all from foals and the youngest is 8. My husband and daughter will take care of my babies if I die first. I show my horses and have had such fun with them in the ring and at home. Each one is so spoiled
default_yes.gif

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

We still have our first mini. Her name is "MeeToo" because she looked just like her mom.

We bought her as a long weanling in 1990. She's a black pinto, 32 inches, and my Heart Horse.

MeeToo taught me that I could communicate with her and other animals when before, I only

just suspected.

It all happened almost 20 years ago...two years in a row. MeeToo was due to foal and both

times we had to go out of town for a couple of days. Just before leaving I told her that

we'd be gone for two night times and to wait for us. (We had a farm sitter.) Well, she did.

Both times, as soon as we returned I went and checked on her...letting her know we were home

to stay....and both times she foaled approximately 3 hours later. There's no doubt in my

mind that she waited for us. (My husband teasingly called me a witch after the second time.)

I could share other stories but this post would get too long. Let's just say, that MeeToo and

I have a bond. She's like a cat in personality, but she loves fiercely and she loves being

a mom. She and I argue over how it's time to "retire" and last year she won .... She foaled out

her prettiest filly ever, but that's IT. She's going to lose that argument next time!

I still have my families first mini. Her name is Penelope.bay and white paint with two blue eyes. Actually one is partial blue and brown. Her farm name is land of Oz's painted lady. She is around 31 now. But still kickin. Her daughter is hopefully pregnant a will possibly give her a baby next year. I know that she would love to be a grandmother. I grew up with her and she has taught me most of what I know about horses. Her eye is my avatar.

I still have my first mini horse. A silver dapple named "blue nugget". I bought him while I was working at the local feed store and walked him home because I wasn't old enough to drive yet. He is everyones favorite and has taught me so much, not just about horses and training but about patience and unconditional love. He will have a forever home with me.

20130806_070154.jpg

We still have ours, a black and white pinto gelding named Eclipse. We brought him home at just 3mos old in 1999, had him gelded, grew him up, got him trained to drive, etc. Eclipse is such a gentle animal and fun to drive. He is not our first horse because we had our big guys before him, but he is our first mini and is also the first horse we raised. We love him a lot.

I too still have my first mini, a dark bay mare, born in 1990 she came to me as a pregnant 3 year old and gave me her first foal the following year. She was a self opinionated young lady - to put it mildly! - and ruled both us and our increasing mini herd with great enjoyment. We have many of her daughters and g/daughters in the herd now and last year a g/g/son. One of her daughters and a g/daughter are in my avatar. The years have mellowed her, her face is greying, but she is in great health and enjoying a deserved retirement. A very special lady to me!

I still have my first pair. I got a 2 yr old filly and a weanling colt. Then I added 3 more after that...
default_smile.png

I just lost my first ever mini in January. Bought him in San Diego from a friend of a friend, back in '87. Miss him every day.

Our first mini died a few years ago, Dutson's Nightcrawler. We got him in 1982 or so, won National champion sr stallion and reserve national champion solid color and was a wonderful driving horse as well as liberty horse. He was solid black and had dapples. Second mini, Andora Van't Double Dutch is alive and going strong in her mid 20's.

Well my story is not as long as the rest of you!!! I guess you could say I am a newbie when it comes to minis. I grew up with the big guys until my junior year in high school. My Uncle and father ran a boarding stable and my Uncle trained as well. I have always wanted another horse but married, had a family to raise and a full time career. So when I retired I wanted to get a horse but knew I could not handle the big guys anymore. I looked into the minis for about 2 years, read up on them and joined here where I learned the most. So I started looking and only 2 weeks after my search began a breeder about 20 mins away had a 10 day old filly!!! To my happy surprise she was a Pinto which is my favorite and so you know what happened next.......yes I put a deposit on her the next day!!!!!! I was so excited not only was I getting a horse but I always wanted to raise a foal. I visited her about 2x every week. There was a little dwarf born 1 month before Misty and they were in the same paddock with their mares. I fell in love with Josie too and decided I would bring her home as well. They are half sisters and are inseparable and God willing I will always keep them together!!!! They are now 2 and I have begun training Misty as Josie supervises!!! I'm learning as I go and hopefully I can remember all the things my Uncle taught me. What I don't remember or know I'll come here and ask!!!!!!

I still have my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd mini! I started late in life tho. We got Jelly Bean in 2004 as an 18 month old, she's now 11. Lexy in 2007 as a 4 year old, also 11. and CoCo Puff (mini mule) in 2011, as a 5 or 6 year old. I wouldn't give up my "girls" for anything.

Jelly Bean and LB have taught me everything I know about minis and it's been a wonderful time!

I still have all the minis I've purchased, including the first one.
Dakota is a Buckeroo grandson.
Dakota - July 4, 2013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had horses since 1977, but got our first mini in 1986 for my youngesst daughter as a lead line pony. His name was peanut and he had to be euthenized in 1996 because he foundered with rotation. I swore I'd never have another, then guess what, went and bought two mares in 1999. Now we have way too many.

I also started a little later in life tho I have always had big horses. After purchasing a property in Aug 2007 and always wanting Minis, I bit the bullet and brought "Squirt" after he was weaned from his mother, who I remarkably found out is now owned by "Wings" on this forum. Small world as they say
default_smile.png
I will never sell him as he has such a gentle nature and is a pleasure to have around the farm..

I'm a 'newbie' too! I grew up riding jumpers at a pretty high level, but had my confidence pretty much destroyed because I was grossly over mounted as a teen. I got a job, and bought a plug of an Arab, who finally made me trust horses again. But alas, I wanted to show again, and 'Keith stone' was no show horse. So I sold him to a lovely farm.

I was honestly looking for a western pleasure horse, but a roomate urged me to come look at her 'really nice minis' so I did. And I absolutely could not leave my stud there. His feet were no snap over 6" long, he was SO obese he couldn't trot 20 feet without being out of breath, but he had some BLOODLINES in him. So I got him as a project to slim down and resell. Then my life turned upside down and that little stallion kept me sane.

4 yrs later I still have my Cloudy pony, all 33" of personality. My once in a lifetime horse with a tags to riches story - he's 2nd in the state for Ptha!

Then just this spring an equine professor had a client giving away a 'companion pony' ..... And we all know where that went! I got a 3 yr old grey welsh x for free. And now he drives and had promise of being a super ads horse.

Seven is my first mini, was always a big horse person. After my health is back I would like to take driving lessons. If Seven can't be a driving partner then I will look for another. I've had Seven for 4 years. He's a sassy, love bug.

My first mini's were procured recently this year and I fell in love with them. Misty if around 12 to 15 years of age and Rainey (her daughter) is 5 years of age.

Even though I havent been in miniatures very long I obviously still have my 1st miniature and I really dont look at getting rid of him in the future. He is extremely sweet and well behaved as far as stallions go and I couldnt ask more from a horse even a show horse

We still have our first TWO minis. They are half brother and sister. Now 22 and 23 years old. Were 1 and 2 at the time. We have done many many things with them: parades, showing in halter, obstacle, costume, leadline, driving, draft hitch and chariot, visiting schools, libraries, retirement homes, involved in high school plays and more. They both received AMHR's Triple A Amateur Excellence and Companion Horse awards in 2010. They are pretty much retired now. Though they may get pulled out of pasture next year and go back to the county fair for the the grandkids/nieces to show in the kid's halter classes! Sure do miss using them. Seems like most just don't stack up after the first ones!

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

Latest posts

Back