Who lets their mares foal in the field?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atara

Reaction score
I was wondering who lets their mare's foal in the field and who brings them in to a foaling stall and closely monitors them? I know there are circumstances where you might do one or the other, but I would love to hear about them as well as any foaling stories you may have!

Also who tries to take an active part in foaling, or just kind of let "nature do it's thing". Obviously I understand if there is a problem you will interven, but barring any problems.

I know it's early to think about this, but my pony mare is in foal and it's both our first foal so I'm a little stressed out!
ohmy.gif

Thanks everyone!!
smile.gif

My mares are brought in around 300 days and closely monitored from that time on, sooner if I deem necessary. I watch there actions and habits so that I know when they are acting different. This is especially important with first time mares for me, whether maiden or not.

I have interacted with all my mares foaling, some less than others but always am there. I missed one and it was a beautiful bay pinto colt that never got out of the sac, it is hard to forgive yourself for those.

I know horses have been foaling in the wild for centuries without people helping but , I bred these mares, I put them in this situation, and I will be darned if I am going to make them go it alone.

Just so you know, chances are those that do foal out at pasture will not post on here as they will get flamed for doing so.

Well.... I try to be there
smile.gif
I have one mare who I have only ever foaled out once- she is 19 and has had umpteen foals!! I only managed that one because she just could not cross her legs any tighter and was actually giving birth as I lugged her back into the stall- after sitting up with her for five nights, I might add!! This year she had it at 3.00pm- I had shot home for a bath and by the time I got back she was grinning from ear to ear and her beautiful, tiny filly had nursed, passed the muconium and was bouncing around happily!! Never did find that afterbirth, either!! I sit up with each mare, but I have no camera and the mares foal when they feel like it so it is always a matter of the best laid plans ganging oft very, very awa'
smile.gif

All of my mares foal outside in the fields... I have been there for every one except one and i just missed it by minutes... None of mine have ever had problems. Flame away if you must.. I just think it is cleaner and healthier for them to be born outside. (My vet thinks so to) Just my opinion.. but then again im sure its wrong to someone.. but thats ok.. because you wont change my opinion just like I know I wont change yours either...

I had mine in a pen with a run in shed..Made the inside nice and clean with straw.. Well got up in the early AM and the mare and her new baby were inside the stall but she had her outside~!.. No problem nature doesn't have stalls in the wild. And I will not lock them up inside a jailed cell.

[SIZE=14pt]I try to have mine in the foaling stall on camera but a couple of times they decided outside would be better! And all was well. I do have a big street light type light in my one lot in back so I can watch them when they would rather be out. I have one mare that hates a stall. I know that Doc taylors mares ALL foal out in the field. They have a big open barn that they can come into by no one watches them more than checking on the whole lot of them several times a day.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Dont get me wrong please. I do not object to mares foaling outside in a clean pasture or paddock.

I just feel strongly that I should be there for the foaling. I think I owe that to them. If you can monitor and observe them outside and your weather is condusive to that, go for it.

Remember, she asked who does what.

My situation is set up for me to best monitor my mares in a stall (and I hate being cold so I dont want to do it outside)
wink.gif

Actually in my years of foaling other peoples horse out it is about a 50/50 split. Mind you we were watching the mares so I am not speaking of unattended foaling's( let nature take it's course)not on my watch
wink.gif
.......if your weather conditions are good and you have a nice grassy paddock to foal in that is actually the healthiest way to do it. I think if the weather is lousy or unpredictable or too cold then having a stall to foal in is appropriate.......

Many very good breeders foal out their mares in a paddock for that purpose. Paddocks are usually cleaner and nicer for the mare as many vets say. That said, I use electric fencing and am not comfortable with my girls foaling out so they have great big stalls with terrific bedding and room service.

mares on my watch both large and small never ever foal unattended if i can help it I have missed one in the past 9 years and I sat home and watched her for 3 weeks.. she waited till I was clipping another horse with big clippers had my pager on but didnt hear it finally saw the light going off on the pager and came into the stall just as the foal slipped out.

IF i had a large grassy paddock with a camera system in it (made just for that use)you can bet I would foal my mares in it - I dont however so I have 16x16 foaling stalls with large attached pens all with cameras- they wear breeder alerts and I attend all foalings. you have very little time when you realize you need to intervene and I feel I bred them I made the choice therfore I need to be there for them if they need me.

It means that i dont leave my house forever during foaling season (thank god for online albertsons and they deliver) the guy would pull up and say still waiting on babies huh
wink.gif

When my great Grandpa had about 40 mares foal a year he let them foal out in the pasture. this was in the 1980's I believe and he was stubborn old man! I've gone through his books and he'd have 1 maybe 2 foals not get out of the bag or be born wrong which he would always catch and then fix-usually too late to save the foal however. My grandparents did the same thing with their 20-30 mares and they'd rarely have any problems. The last 8 years or so we've brought them up at around 300 days (Give or take 14 days) and each year we have 2 even up to FOUR problems with foaling. We are there for every birth but we've had dystocias in mares that have had 8 foals no problems or red bags or foals that can't break the sac. It's been horrible. I really don't get it and my grandma and I joke about it all the time but it's really not at all that funny
no.gif
. Just thought I'd share that with you. I say let nature take its course but then at the same time I'm always the one that has to go check the mares every half hour to an hour during the summer nights!!
rolleyes.gif
I have an alarm clock permanently glued to my hands!!

all our mares a month before there due come up and are in the foaling paddock only used for that purpose after the foal arrives they go in the barn for a few days then back out in front of the barn for the next 2 months before going back in with the other mares out in the pastures. Foaling out for us seems lots cleaner with less germs then a stall in constant use. This year we have foals coming in Jan. so plan to go the stall way but maybe not doesn't hurt them to be born in the clean snow and then go in as usual just depends on the weather we get that day.

As long as it was warm weather and we could guarrantee always being present, I would allow all our mares to foal out on our front lawn! Last year we had one hold-out mare in August who did just that. It was a warm Sunday afternoon and my husband was present as she laid down and foaled out under our Willow tree.

However, that is not the norm.....We pull our mares into stalls at night with cameras. And during the day they are out on a short green pasture just off the barn with one of us always staying home to keep watch.

Although we've had a few surprises, we make every effort to be present for each birth.

MA

I have a foaling paddock. The mares are put in it 1 month before due & left there for about 1 month before they go back out.

When i know a mare is going to foal I get up every 2 hours through the night to check them. I guess I am lucky if someone is in trouble i always seem to get a 'gut' feeling and go out and help. I have never lost a foal yet (I have been breeding for 8 years)

Actually i lost one - I had a family emergency and had to get someone else to watch them - the foal did not get out of the bag (I will never do that again).

We have cameras in one area and breeders alert (which has yet to help with a mare foaling - lots of warnings about them sleeping though!) as we do not have true barn.

The mares go into the large pasture behind the house at 300 days, and are moved into smaller pens or the backyard the closer they get (daily inspection of bags/etc). The majority foal in the backyard. Then are stalled for 1 day to a week depending on the mare before going into the mare/foal pasture.

We try to attend all foalings, but have some mares that will not foal if we're watching including my first mare - seven foals and I've never seen one actual birth - missed two by about three minutes but she's a sly one!

As to the breeders alert - I don't know if I'm the only one, but my mares do not set this off when foaling. The three we caught with this on, were delivering like a cow chewing cud - not flat out, so the alert never went off - we checked after delivery to be sure it wasn't a battery thing!

Latest posts

Back