Who has taken Online College Courses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I asked this before but a while back, but am starting to get ready to go back to school. After high school, i just wanted to take some time off, but am planning to take classes, i want to get a degree in Business Management and ive looked at a few school online, most offer that course. Online is just much more convenient, our more local college does not offer much at all...rest of the colleges are about 45 minutes away, really do not want to drive that far x 2 daily, must stay at the farm
default_smile.png

Did you enjoy it and get as much out of it? What was the process exactly?

After a few years off....i really cannot wait to get back to school
default_smile.png

Thank you!

I have never taken online courses, but I would think the local college (Wooster which is an Ohio State branch) would have other related courses that you would need towards your degree so go talk to them. They should have counselors there who can help you figure out what to do, and you never know, there may have online courses that you could take through them.

I do know one person I work with is taking Library Science courses through Kent State and she lives here in Columbus, and also goes to classes at Columbus State, one class per quarter. She is going to be retiring from the state in 2 years, not looking for a career, but had always wanted a Library Science degree.

One last word to the wise, I have reconnected with my friends from High School, heck, two from when I was 4. They both say one thing, how they regret not sticking with college and getting degrees. Both have to work multiple low paying jobs and are barely scraping by and have no insurance. Trust me when I say it would be worth even leaving the farm for a short while to get that degree. I guarantee you would never regret doing it.

Hey, just found this link on the Kent State website for info on online learning:

http://www.kent.edu/dl/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken a lot of online courses. I found them easier to do since I had a small child at the time. I would take some on-campus courses during the same time, but having the option to take some online helped me be at home more. It also helped me get my degree faster.

The classes I took online, some were easy, some were really hard. The biggest thing is having your assignments turned in ON TIME! If we missed a deadline, it counted as we were absent. If you had three missing assignments (they didn't take late assignments), then you were dropped from the class. They just want to know you are putting the time into the online class since you are not having to sit in an actual classroom for those hours. Best thing is to stay ahead. I would turn work in about a week early because my luck my internet connection would act stupid one day and not send in my assignment if I waited till the last day.

All my online classes were taken through a community college. You can register online, buy your books online, some I didn't have to go to the campus for at all.

Feel free to message me (is that an option on this forum?) or email me, or reply if you have any certain questions!
default_smile.png

Sorry if the above was confusing, lol.

Good Luck!

I have successfully completed online university courses and all I can say is- if you have the self discipline, you can do it. If you do not, do not waste your money. You have to be dedicated and make time for school. do not think it's a piece of cake, it's not. Good Luck

I have taken some online courses before and generally found them to be easier than live courses. I used to work as an advisor for an online university, and even though the degrees were accredited I had many reports from former students that some employers did not consider them "real" degrees, and there were also frequent issues with transferring credits to traditional schools. Like others have recommended, I would look for a community college or state university that also offers online classes (most do); then if you want to take regular classes again it's easy to transition.

I try to do mostly online classes as I live an hour plus from campus. I love them. THey work for me. As stated you have to keep yourself on track and it is easier then you think to fall behind.

Most of my classes have been fine, however I have had 2 online classes that I didnt learn anything from. IT was a wast of 17 weeks and my energy. I couldnt tell you a single thing I read, anything I tested on or even the basics of the class.

My experiance also with online classes is that its alot harder to get help from the teachers when you need it. Where as if you take some campus classes you can connect better. IF your teacher isnt available alot of times other teachers(who teach the same thing) are willing to help you out.

I just finished my 2 year degree at a community college and now transfered to a university. I am takeing mostly independent study classes there.

Another word of advice, a 2 year degree is better than nothing but really isnt going to do you any good anymore. I would recommend at the very least a BA

I took them for English and Art and other classes that I hated to waste time in. I generally had an hour or two break between my classes and labs. So I would do my classes online (plus it allowed me to do 18-20 credit hours without spending hours in school). They were definately easier, but like some said, it takes self discipline for sure! My classes generally consited of a quiz a week plus an assignment from the book. And never wait until last minute! That's always when the computer crashes and you can't turn the assignment in.
default_new_shocked.gif
And most proffessors won't take a late online assignment.

I've done on-line, correspondence, weekend, 6 week, 12 week, and 18 week courses. Already said - you MUST be driven to complete the on-line courses.

I found I learned more from on-campus classes and enjoyed the interaction with fellow students and professors.

Here's a challenge - I completed my BA degree while working full time, raising 2 kids (3 including hubby), running a home, and raising and showing horses. If I can do it - anybody can - and Should!! Good Luck!! You Go Girl!!!

I found something that looks very promising at my local college..

http://www.terra.edu/academics/departments...sistingCert.asp

Also,

Looking at this course..its for a certificate...could get the certificate now, then do the above ^ come fall ..

http://www.terra.edu/PDFs/KERN/Healthcare_...ring'09.pdf

-State Tested Nurse Aide Course ...

I am going to look into it, sign up and go from there !!! Thank you all very much and Dana for answering my questions! Just bouncing off some idea's and putting my thoughts down in writing..

Latest posts

Back