who can I contact

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is where is should post this, I DONT WANT TO STEP ON ANYONES TOES........... My friend has agreed to foster 3 mustang mares that were taken by the SPCA, there are 5 total, other 2 went to SPCA, I told her I would ask you guys where to get help.

She got them at 10:00 last night, they are in very bad shape. I have pics but dont want to post them without approval they are pretty nasty. She called me at 7:30 this morning 1 is down and can't get her up. We tried everything, had to wait for the vets office to open, we kept hay and water in front of her she nibbled at the grain. She then would lay out flat we left her like that for 10 to 15 minutes then we would prop her up with hay. We went back and forth with this until the vet arrived at 11. He was pleased that she was eating and drinking, but she was in the sun and I had brought over my market umbrella to shade her as best we could and we kept hosing her. She is covered in pressure sores and rainrot. He checked her vitals all looked good heart rate up a little but not surprising due to her circumstances. He gave her Bamamine and a steroid, he says she has the will to live which is good for her if she stayed where she was at I know she would not have made it another day. We flipped her onto a tarp and dragged he under some trees so she is out of the sun. He said she could be down like this for 3 days, but as long as we keep her propped up she should do O.K. I went home at 1 to check on my kids (sooooo hot here). Went back at 5 to help prop her up again she was eating with more vigor, shes a fighter!

My friend has 4 horses already and has agreed to help these but would like to find loving homes for them as some as possible. Where do we go for help with finding them homes?

Here is a link I found from out local news tonight...

LARGO - Five severely emaciated horses and a donkey taken from a farm in Largo as part of an animal mistreatment investigation are eating steadily, although one horse is so weak it can barely stand and may not survive, an SPCA Tampa Bay spokesperson said.

Acting on an anonymous tip, the SPCA took three horses last night from a farm at 1200 Donegan Rd., in unincorporated Pinellas County. The agency returned this morning and took two more horses and the donkey.

"They are emaciated; they have hair loss,'' said Marissa Weeks, public relations manager for the SPCA Tampa Bay. "You can tell they have been like this for a while.''

The horses had no food or water and little shade, Weeks said. The donkey was found in a pen with a foot-and-a-half of fecal matter, she said.

The property owner did not own the animals, Weeks said. They are owned by George Hale, of 1799 Seminole Blvd., according to SPCA. Hale allowed the agency to take four of the horses and the donkey but wanted to keep one horse, which the SPCA ultimately confiscated under its statutory authority.

The horses are under veterinary care at a remote pasture owned by an SPCA volunteer.

"They have been eating steadily since we brought them here,'' Weeks said. "I have not seen them stop eating. We're hoping we'll be able to rehab them and re-home them.''

As for the horse that may not survive, "The veterinarian has hopes, but it's not looking too good,'' Weeks said.

The Pinellas County Sheriff's office is assisting the SPCA in its investigation. Weeks said the agency intends to press charges of animal cruelty and neglect. She did not know when that would occur because federal involvement also is likely, she said.

The horses, all mustangs, were acquired as part of a program with the Bureau of Land Management. The program fosters out horses for the first year before allowing them to be adopted, Weeks said.

For pics go to this link....

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/aug/10/em.../?news-breaking

THANK YOU, Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where to go for help but I just wanted to say THANK YOU to your friend AND you for helping these poor souls :aktion033: Not too many people would do what you ladies are doing. Please, at least keep me updated by PM
default_yes.gif
:

Oh my goodness went and looked at the pictures.

They need a lot of
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

kudos to you and your friend... and you are actually quite lucky, sometimes the hardest part can be getting them confiscated in the first place! at least they are out of there now and they have a fighting chance. i cannot believe that someone would do this, they look so bad :no: please do keep us posted!

i don't know where Hudson FL is except for all the way across the country from me... but if you contact Lisa and George at Sterling Silver Farm Equine Rescue [email protected] they may be able to assist - they are in Florida as well, and they also have a website www.ssfer.org

ok i went and checked my rescue roster and i also have these in Florida:

Jennifer Brown

Painted Star Stables

Fort White, FL 32038

http://www.paintedstarstables.com

[email protected]

Newly Formed Horse rescue (not yet 501c)

Help Me Help Them before its too late!!!!

Training Horses The Parelli Way

L1/L2 Student

ALL PROFITS I MAKE GO TO MY RESCUE EFFORTS

Join My Yahoo Group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthernStat...yguid=268943124

[SIZE=12pt]Jennifer Swanson[/SIZE]

Pure Thoughts

Horse & Foal Rescue

www.saveafoal.com

[SIZE=12pt]561-753-6555[/SIZE]

561-254-0415

[SIZE=12pt][email protected] <[email protected]>[/SIZE]

i do not know any of these people personally, just through the on-line rescue networks. anyway hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!! Those poor horses!! So glad that they out of there and hope they all make it and find wonderful homes!!!

I just went and looked at the pictures. That is horrible and I hope the people involved are punished to the full extent of the law, and get everything possible that they deserve for this kind of animal abuse. Susan, is right, the hardest part can actually be getting the animal confiscated. It takes a special person to have a caring heart for the less fortunate animals, and thank you so much for doing your part. I am so glad they are out of the situation, and hopefully all goes well with all of them and they continue on to find loving caring homes. You all deserve a big pat on the back for helping them out. Corinne

Susan,

I met Lisa and George at a Petsmart doing a fund raiser in Ocala, they are nice people, they stuck in my memory because they told me they may have 100 minis coming to them, I left my name and contact info in case they needed me.

I've been told because they are BLM mustangs we my have to get in contact with them, especially if its hasn't been a year, paperwork on 1 has a date of April.

If he only had them from April they couldn't have had any food. Just how long does it take for a horse to get in this condition?

Corrine,

We were told he coopertated when they removed the first 3 that my friend has but

when they went to get the last 2 and the donkey he asked if he could keep 1!!!!!

Thanks, Kathy

Latest posts

Back