Who can help me?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
Hi All!

I love to join this driving section, but there is one problem ;)

The driving terms in english ;)

Can someone help me with this? (for example the parts of the harnass)

I was hoping Myrna would post that! Just describe any specific part you're thinking of and we can tell you the name. (Or names, as many of them have alternate titles depending on what part of the country the person is from or what driving discipline they participate in.)

Leia

And there are acceptable alternative names for the parts that I listed, too. Leia (and others) calls some of the same parts by different names.
default_biggrin.png

Myrna

We barrrel race and pole bend with our minis at almost all of our shows...what a hoot! They are kept at a trot only...never allowed to canter.

Sue_C. said:
We barrrel race and pole bend with our minis at almost all of our shows...what a hoot! They are kept at a trot only...never allowed to canter.
Which takes all the fun out of it for us CDE folks. What good is a trot when you need SPEED?!
default_laugh.png

Leia

Marscha: yes, I did, that was sping last year.

I also asked in another topic: What is CDE?

Which takes all the fun out of it for us CDE folks. What good is a trot when you need SPEED?!
Cantering through a hazard only FEELS faster...I bet a horse doing a good trot can do it just as fast; I actually read an article about just that subject referring to cantering versus trotting in CDEs not too long ago. I think the runners are more prone to mistakes, and having to take the time to correct them, which negates the speed versus the "slower" trot, but going clear. LOL!

I think they do pretty darned good. My little 30" stallion would wiz through barrels and poles in less than double the time of the big-time racers...pulling me, an easy entry cart, and kept at a trot. Not too bad at all, I don't think. Now most of us have roadsters, and we FLY...LOLOL!

Ouburgia, "CDE" stands for Combined Driving Event, which is the U.S. name for Horse Driving Trials.

Sue_C. said:
Cantering through a hazard only FEELS faster...I bet a horse doing a good trot can do it just as fast; I actually read an article about just that subject referring to cantering versus trotting in CDEs not too long ago. I think the runners are more prone to mistakes, and having to take the time to correct them, which negates the speed versus the "slower" trot, but going clear. LOL!

I think they do pretty darned good. My little 30" stallion would wiz through barrels and poles in less than double the time of the big-time racers...pulling me, an easy entry cart, and kept at a trot. Not too bad at all, I don't think. Now most of us have roadsters, and we FLY...LOLOL!
Ah, see there's your ticket! *LOL* My boy is NOT a roadster, does not fly at trot, and is much faster at a full run.
default_laugh.png
I'll admit his canter probably isn't any faster than his fast trot, but his gallop sure is and the canter is much easier for him to maintain and to make fast turns from.

A horse in a big round balanced canter already has his hind legs well up under him and is ready to pirouette into a tight turn and spring forward out of it. A trotting horse can only make that sort of turn by leaning like a motorcycle and "falling through" the turn, making him slower to emerge from it and less balanced. Just because my poor mini can only be driven and not ridden doesn't mean I'm not going to model him on ridden disciplines I admire such as eventing and reining. And you don't see THOSE horses trotting in competition!
default_biggrin.png
Hehehe.

I do, however, mostly trot through a cones course because as you said it's smoother, more flowing, and less prone to mistakes. I agree with you that there are way too many people who just assume canter is faster and jump to it long before their horses are ready, causing costly mistakes. I will canter when it serves a specific purpose but only when the horse has been worked up to it slowly and knows exactly what his job is. And I do my homework beforehand so I'm as ready as he is!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Our big horse is also a Saddle Seat horse in his former years. His canter is more "rocking horse" and his trot actually is faster. It definitely depends on the horse, their talent, and their training.

If trotting was the fastest way for all horses, the FEI level drivers would all be trotting, as every second in the hazards is counted as a penalty. Obviously, for those horses, galloping is fastest. It probably isn't for the "not-so aggresive" drivers/horses in the lower levels.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back