which is better? goose neck or hitch?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
hello.

Im not sure which is better? iv hurd a lot about both but which is beter in your opion???
default_unsure.png
:

For myself it depends how much traveling with your minis you are going to do. If I was seriously into showing I would go the extra and purchase a gooseneck set up. But since we stay pretty much local a bumper hit does us fine.

goosenecks are more stable and easier to handle and you have to have the right kind if set up on your truck. goosenecks are usually much larger trailers.

Having had both, I have to say there is an upside and downside to each, but the goose is my preferance. Easier to pull and negotiate just about anywhere, plus I have my camper included...doesn't get any better than that.

Gooseneck is my pick, they are safer, and you can back them 10x easier than a bumper pull!lol

That being said I have one of each, and our little bumper pull is ok, but I prefer the gooseneck!
default_yes.gif
:

IMHO and with lots of towing experience, goosenecks pull MUCH, MUCH easier - they ride better for the horses and are better for the person driving the truck. And as everyone has said - they manuver SO much easier.

Mark

When we bought our gooseneck trailer, my brother in law told us "after you've pulled a gooseneck, you'll want to kick your bumper pull trailer down the road!" :lol: While that isn't absolutely the case, we love the BP for many reasons, the gooseneck DOES pull so much better, we hardly notice it's there. We still use the BP for shorter trips, and for hauling hay, etc.

One thing to consider is, what kind of vehicle do you have to pull a trailer? The good thing about BP's is that you can have a Yukon or Tahoe or even a truck with a camper or shell on it and still pull your trailer.

And you can get stabilizer bars that attach to the trailer and your tow vehicle, helps prevent "sway" in big winds, etc.

Get what you like, and what you can afford, is what I say.
default_smile.png

We have two mini trailers.

Our bumper pull is 8' long, 5' wide, and 5' tall. Our gooseneck is 14' long, 6' wide, and 6' tall. The gooseneck is easier to "steer" but the little bumper pull is still handy, too.

Also, I think a gooseneck is easier on the truck than a bumper pull of equal weight.

Latest posts

Back