Which Digital Camera do you use

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadyacersminis

Reaction score
Yes, This is Horse related....

Ive been in the market for a new Digiatal Camera for a while, Ive been using the same cheap crappy digital for the last 4 years now, Its a HP Photosmart 318, If you ask me, It is one of the worst digital cameras I have ever seen.... I go out with it and out of almost 200 pictures, I may get 1 or 2 that are actually somewhat decent.... This camera is very light sensitive, It almost always takes the pictures way too bright or very dark.... It also loves to take blurry pictures, One thing that really drives me nuts is you that to hold the button halfway down while it autofocuses which takes about 4 seconds, and by that time, the horse has moved or put the ears back.... The camera is the main reason that I have such Horrible pictures on my website, I have been soo frustrated with it I have almost given up completely on trying to update my site because I just cant get the nice pictures that really show off the quality of the horse, This camera just wont do it......

While I was at the last show down in Ocala, I got to talkign to Liz Mcmillan about digitals, Which really helped me in choosing my new one since there is soooo many out there....

After talking with Liz, I decided to go with a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 Ultra Zoom, It is a 5.1 megapixel, 12x Optical Zoom & 2x digital zoom with tons of features and does Video, It also has a feature called Image Stabilization so if you dont have steady hands, it will still snap a clear and sharp picture.... It has 1/1000 sec shutter speed for fast movement pictures which should work great on the action shots..

The 12x optical zoom will be great for zooming right in to the showring and getting a ice closeup shot or closeup video from the stands... I cant wait for this camera to get here next week so I can try it out....

Anyway, I just wanted to get an Idea of what kind of Digital Camera everyone else is using for thier horse pictures and what do you think of them, If anyone has this Cybershot, what do you think of it...

Here is the camera

camera-front-angled.jpg

camera-back.jpg

camera-front.jpg

Can you tell us about what that camera costs? I have been looking for a new one and didn't know what I wanted.

This camera runs $499.00 plus the cost of the memory card, which is really a pretty good price, IMO...

I had to go look to see what features Liz Mcmillans Camera had and wow
new_shocked.gif
hers is a 16.7 MP with about everything you can imagine on a camera and runs almost $8000.00 , Maybe, Just maybe, Ill have that camera one day in my dreams
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
shadyacersminis said:
After talking with Liz, I decided to go with a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 Ultra Zoom, It is a 5.1 megapixel, 12x Optical Zoom & 2x digital zoom with tons of features and does Video, It also has a feature called Image Stabilization so if you dont have steady hands, it will still snap a clear and sharp picture.... It has 1/1000 sec shutter speed for fast movement pictures which should work great on the action shots..
The 12x optical zoom will be great for zooming right in to the showring and getting a ice closeup shot or closeup video from the stands... I cant wait for this camera to get here next week so I can try it out....

Anyway, I just wanted to get an Idea of what kind of Digital Camera everyone else is using for thier horse pictures and what do you think of them, If anyone has this Cybershot, what do you think of it...
I was in the market for a new camera last summer and the Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 that you talk about is what I bought. I have been very happy with it. I bought the 1 GB card for it and will never run out of room for pictures.

I did a lot of research before I bought it and compared it mainly with a Cannon of simular qualityand features. The 12x Optical Zoom is great. After I bought it I later bought a zoom lens. Had I used the camera for a while first I probably would not have bought the zoom lens. I haven't really found a use for the lens yet.

When I bought mine it was fairly new on the market and the best price I could find locally was $474 but when the clerk rang the purchase up there was an additional 15% discount taken off. When I asked about it since it wasn't advertised I was told that it was a "friends and family" discount. I guess because I have purchased other items at Circuit City.

In automatic mode it takes great photos but I am looking for a photography class that will help me more with the manually set features.

I took probably close to 500 photos at the World show in Ft Worth and would have taken more had I not been working for the show committee for five days of the show. I was working at the arena floor level near the gate where Liz took her breaks so I got to talk to her a lot during that time.

I think that Chandlers avitar (RoyalPalmFarm) is one of about 20 shots that I took of his Neon Moon.

Thanks Neil,

It seems to have almost everything I need in a camera right now, Though, I was just reading some reviews and found out in Movie mode, you cant change zoom after you start recording, Im sure I can work around that though, from the reviews ive read, I think Ill like it... theres soo many to choose from now which makes it hard..... Liz did mention this camera at the Mini O Rama, and said it was a really great buy for the price and sony did a really good job.. She said if she didnt need a professional digital, and was going to buy one, she would go with this camera....

Maybe one day Ill move up into the professional cameras, but this should work just fine for a while!!!!
biggrin.gif

I use a Nikon D70 with a 28-80mm lense and a 70-300mm that I use most.

I'm using my old Sony Mavica and still get some great shots with it, but I hope to buy a camera that does video clips this coming year. I will definitely look at the Sony Cybershot!

I have an Olympus D-520 that I bought about 4 years ago. I like the pictures, but the time lag for focus is a bother, and with only 2 MP I don't get the depth of field that I'd like.

Question:

I have dialup and buy my pictures online from Kodakgallery. It takes quite a while for them to upload. DSL and cable aren't available here. Does anyone else upload pictures to a printing site and if so how long does it take, particularly for the bigger files (from the better cameras) using a dialup connection? That is what is stopping me from getting a better camera...I'm afraid it would take hours to upload pictures!

Stacye

We have a Sony FD Mavica (old one 1.2 MP) and love it --- it finally can't use diskettes anymore so now only have the working memory card -- but that is fine.

Am looking at a Nikon D50 as I have a film Nikon 6006 that died and can no longer be repaired and have all these great lenses for it.

Tony - how do you like your D70? Did you compare to a D50? and if so, why did you choose the D70?

JJay

I use a Kodak easy share DX7630 6.1 Mega Pixels and I love it to death...Takes great pictures and videos too...Got it at Best Buy this past May....Cost about 359.00...Great for action pictures too...

I also have the Nikon D70 with the two different lenses. I bought the minidrive card reader that is 2GB so can hold lots of pictures and it's super fast. I breed Bengal cats too so need it for the cute action shots. Super camera with a metal body, I couldn't be happier.

I have a Sony Mavida that uses a floppy disc (I love not needing a cable to download pics from the camera to the computer, just put the disc in the computer and go). I bought it used off eBay a couple years ago for use with my eBay business and have really enjoyed it for taking pictures of my horses. I would love to upgrade some day, but the Mavica will have to die before I can get a new one.

Pretty much all pictures that I post on the board were taken with the Mavica.

We use a Kodak Easy Share DX6490 and are very happy with it. It has a burst feature that takes up to 5 shots consecutively and has video capability. The picture in my avatar was taken with it and all the pictures on our main page of our website.

Dawn
saludando.gif

Thanks Everyone... Im still waiting on it to get in, None of the stores had them in stock, so we had to order it, It should be in Monday for us to go pick up.....

Tony,

The Sony has a simular focal length without a telephoto lense, It is 36mm to 432mm, and a Telephoto really adds range on top of that....I looked into several SLR's, Especially the Nikon D70, I liked it, but I didnt think I needed that many features right now, I figured the Cybershot should have everything I need in a camera for a while, I also looked into the competition, but I really liked the look of the Sony much better than the Cannon and other simular cameras.... and none of the others had the Image Stabilization and also some didnt have the AF Lamp.....

Thanks again everyone..

Latest posts

Back