Where to get "Sand Clear" ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering if someone could direct me as to where I can obtain a big ole' bucket of Sand Clear. I know how imperative it is to have your horses on a monthly psyllium fiber regumate, and seeing as I have my horses on semi-sandy lots and feed off the ground, I would really like to get them started asap. I floated manure for sand content about 2 months ago, and did not see much in the bottom of the baggies, and would like to keep it that way. Issue is, I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Do they sell it at Tractor Supply? Order it online? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
default_saludando.gif

Dan.

If they don't have Sand Clear by name, there are many other brands of psyllium products for horses. You might be able to find something local without having to ship and pay postage.

I live in a very sandy area and use lots of it.some of mine wouldn't eat Sand Clear. I use a product called EQUUS PSYLLIUM PELLETS-smells just like licorice and is in pellet form.My horses will eat in with nothing else.Some of mine get it on a very regular basis.Great stuff.I order mine from www.statelinetack.com Been using it for years

Thanks both Eagles Ring and Chandab. I have tried the Diatomacous (sp?) Earth I found at our local feed store, but it reminded me of gray mix and I couldn't find anywhere how to use it or recommended dosing instructions, so put it on the shelf in the feed shed. I think I might try looking at TSC again, maybe they can order it. If need be, my vet could probably find me some, or at least a pretty close version of it.

Dan.

ETA: Bevann, we must have been typing at the same time. Thank you, I will investigate that as well. I think something with a bit of smell or flavor to it might help seeing as my mare HATES paste dewormer unless it is flavored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing you can try is the Metamucil for humans that you can buy at Wal Mart or any grocery store. I buy the Wal Mart Equate brand that's unflavored, give them one scoop a day for 7 days in their feed (water it in good) and I don't have any issues with sand. I live in GA and our pastures tend to be sand and clay based, even if you feed in feeders, they still pick it up. my vet checked for me whiel doing a fecal for worms and commented on how little sand there was, considering our pastures. Mych much cheaper and easier to find for sure!

We also use the Walmart Equate and it works like a charm. Mine love the orange flavored and since we live on beach sand, everyone gets 2 TBSP. once a week in their moisened feed. We don't have to worry in the winter since there usually about four feet of snow covering the sand and they really miss their treat. So much easier on the pocket book than Sand Clear is and works wonders.

Another thing you can try is the Metamucil for humans that you can buy at Wal Mart or any grocery store. I buy the Wal Mart Equate brand that's unflavored, give them one scoop a day for 7 days in their feed (water it in good) and I don't have any issues with sand. I live in GA and our pastures tend to be sand and clay based, even if you feed in feeders, they still pick it up. my vet checked for me whiel doing a fecal for worms and commented on how little sand there was, considering our pastures. Mych much cheaper and easier to find for sure!
We also use this brand...cheaper and works just as well!
default_yes.gif

Ditto the Metamucil. Save your money. Walmart or Costco. Mine like the orange flavor, I don't even mix it in, just top dress their feed. I use ground Flaxseed now instead though, does the same thing for sand and so much more (hoof and coat, maintain healthy weight, Omega 3 and 6, essential vitamins and minerals etc.) Expensive, but it's replacing at least 3 other supplements I used to use.

Ditto the Metamucil. Save your money. Walmart or Costco. Mine like the orange flavor, I don't even mix it in, just top dress their feed. I use ground Flaxseed now instead though, does the same thing for sand and so much more (hoof and coat, maintain healthy weight, Omega 3 and 6, essential vitamins and minerals etc.) Expensive, but it's replacing at least 3 other supplements I used to use.
Wow, flax does the same thing as psyllium products? I knew of it's other features, but not that.

I get Sand Clear at Tractor Supply. The boys love it because now you can get it in crumbles in apple flavor. The problem I had with the metimucil fiber types of powders was it's so powdery that most of it fell to the bottom of the feed bucket and the horses just leave it there. With the Sand Clear, because now it comes flavored they lick their buckets clean. The crumbles makes them think they are getting some sort of grain treat along with their food.
default_laugh.png

Here's a link.....Valley Vet also carries it.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87beda-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

Just a word of caution with powderedPsyllium or Walmart metamucil.It is made to swell and collect sand in the stomach and intestinal trac.If you feed it dry you run the risk of it swelling in the throat and causing problems.It gets like gummy bears when wet.I have had my vet use it here for a severe colic impaction and it will get stuck badly in the tube if they don't work very quickly.sometimes the cheapest product is not always the cheapest in the long run.As I said in my previous post I have NEVER had any issues with EQUUS brand pellets and have been using it for over 10 years on all ages of Minis.It smells so good they will eat it right out of my hand.

I used psyllium products for horses since before they started making ones SPECIFICALLY for horses!(WAY back in '85, I bought my first couple of broodmares off a 'breeder' down on the TX-NM border near El Paso. One of them, in the first days after I got her home, pooped PURE grey sand...and I mean, PURE..not once but two or three times! I was HORRIFIED, called my then-vet..the only one at that time who 'did' equines out here...and she told me to give the mare some human Metamucil(this was BEFORE Sand-Clear or any other brand name for horses). Dosage was sort of 'by guess and by gosh', but it seemed to work...and that mare is still with me today, fat and sassy, at age 29+!)

I tried a number of 'brands', including the Walmart "Equate"...the no-sugar, orange-flavored kind. I did NOT moisten it with WATER in any way,though at times I mixed in a bit of corn oil just to 'stick' everything together; never in quite a few years of use had any problems(though would sometimes find a small, gooey 'blob'or two in their water buckets from what was 'stuck to' their teeth when they went to get a drink.) I even had to use it on very young foals a few times...the 'ground vaccumn' types; vet told me to mix it a bit at a time in a dose syringe w/ a little sugar-free pancake syrup. It was messy as heck, but also seemed to work.

I now feed on matting under their feeders, inside and out, mats swept off twice daily at least. Since I began using a stabilized ground flax, I no longer use a psyllium product, as a proper amount of the gr. flax, fed daily, is stated to be suitable to 'replace' what psyllium does, PLUS having several other significant benefits...as others have already pointed out. Seems to be working quite well. (I use Omega Fields...based on a recommendation by a vet on the CDL who also is a CDE driver.)

Margo

I use Equi-Aid psyllium pellets. Glad to hear you're going to add it to you horse care program - I'm in the high desert and couldn't imagine not using it!
default_aktion033.gif

Liz N.

My vet said if I use the Walmart "Equate" to not moisten it. I've never wet it

I've been using the Walmart equate orange flavor for years and have never had a problem with all the Florida sand we have here. It works great and I just pick it up when I get groceries .... Another good equine vet supply site is. Jeffers.com. They have everything and are very reasonable!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to point out that if the flax seed is ground, it loses it's sand-clearing properties. If you leave it whole, the indigestible seeds will help clear the gut (but you don't get the nutritional benefits because the shell can't be broken down by the horse.)

So ideally you would have to feed ground flax seed daily, and whole flax seed as a sand removal every few days.

I used to feed sand products (whole flax is cheaper for me) the first seven days out of the month, but it was suggested to me to feed more often, so weekend days, to not let the sand build up.

I feed a mini 1/4 cup of whole flax seed... Saturday's and Sunday's.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back