Where is the best place to buy cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lisa, I do think that you would be very satisfied with a smart cart.

Keep in mind that those carts are made for Minis up to 40". I did question the local dealer about that size limit, whether 40" meant 40" as a Mini or 40" at the top of the wither, and he told me that 40" meant 40" as a Mini. That being the case the standard cart should fit a 42" pony. A 45" pony may need slightly longer shafts--I'd hoped to have tried it out by now but never got around to even trying one of my taller ponies in the shafts this fall, so i still cannot say.

I have no doubts whatsoever that your big moving 38" mare will drive very comfortably in the smart cart with the standard shafts. I have a couple of 38" mares that are also big movers, and the smart cart gives them plenty of room.

I just want to mention something, I know the original poster wasn't asking about this but...

You CAN show in easy-entry (EE) carts. It's not something to be ashamed of at local shows. I have shown pretty much all of my green minis in an EE cart at our local shows, juuuuust in case, as I didn't want to risk my nice Jerald.

I have gotten several Grand Champion wins locally with an EE, even in Park Harness. However, if anyone wanted to attempt an Area show or Nationals, I'd highly recommend getting a show cart!!!

Andrea

Sorry, hadn't been back to this thread for a few days, so didn't see shorthorsemom's questions till just now.

Yes, that is the Frontier I spoke of. Mine are the basic, expanded metal basket, ones. It IS possible to order different shafts; when I got my 38+" mare, I ordered a set of 54" shafts for my Frontier, and the cart was just fine for her with those(all of my other driving minis are 32-34").

I have no experience w/ the Hyperbike, so can't speak to that--though I do think the Hyperbike is a quality vehicle, and would actually love to try one out!

Which vehicle would be 'best' for you will mostly depend on how you will want to use it most, IMO. The Hyperbike is a one-person vehicle, and harder to get in and out of, just by the nature of its construction. OTOH, it is VERY lightweight(a huge plus to me,as pretty much EVERY one of the available alternatives,except the 'pure' show carts, like the Jeralds, are considerably heavier, all running in the neighborhood of 100+ to 115 lbs. in 'basic'(non-accessorized)models; even the Frontier is around 78 lbs.(another metal 'marathon/show/everyday' EE cart is ADVERTISED at 78 lbs., but I found, it is closer to 110 lbs, same as virtually all of the others--Bellcrown, 'original' mini Bennington, IteBte 'Missouri Flyer', Pequea Road Cart, Pacific Smart Cart, for instance--so is very MISLEADING in its portrayal on website and other ads...beware!)--The Hyperbike is also stable and tough; Leia gave an excellent assessment! The metal EEs are much easier ingress and egress, and have room for a passenger.

Bennington, in the UK, has a new version of their Miniature horse cart that I'd LOVE to have...it weighs only @ 80 lbs.(if memory serves), but has the best features of their original(which weighs 110 lbs., right in line with about all the other similar choices.) Bennington is a longtime, quality builder; I LOVE my 'original' Benny, but the cost of SHIPPING has now become VERY prohibitive, to come from England and THEN, somewhere across the US. If I lived somewhere close to Connecticut(home of the Bennington importer in the US), I'd look SERIOUSLY at the latest Benny for miniatures! JMHO.

Margo

In addition to the mini and pony cart options offered by CTM and Frontier, CTM also offers a lift kit that raises the basket by 4". It's great for fitting the cart to the big B minis who are too tall for the mini cart as is, but not big enough for the pony model. This is what we bought along with the 24" sheels and 54 " shafts, for Mingus, who is 38" with hooves freshly trimmed.

You can see the lift bracket between the axle and the basket in this shot:

0097-sbmingportiaclinic-web.jpg

Another photo showing the balance of the cart with him:

MingusBeachDrive-web.jpg

You can imagine the angle of the shafts if the basket sat 4" lower.

The folks at CTM are wonderful to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care what kind of cart you end up buying. You need to pick the one that works for your circumstance. I would try as many as you can before you decide. It would be a shame however if you were to chose one or not choose one based on erroneous information that you received on this forum.

The statement that you should be aware of misleading information provided by some of the manufactures is an opinion from that person. It would be interesting to she where she obtained her information to form such a bias opinion. I admit my opinion is bias because I own two Pacific Smart Carts and have help assemble and have driven around fifteen others. None of the carts have been any thing less than the advertised product. They have weighed exactly what was posted on the web site. I changed out the axle in mine for the wider version and it now weighs in at 119 lbs. I have used it on horses as small as 29 inches and as tall as 40 inches. It is a wonderful cart that I have used for the breed ring, recreational driving, and combined driving events. There are some folks that "feel" the Smart Cart feels heavy to them when they pick it up by the shafts to attach the horse. I always have them check it with someone in the seat. By the way, I am a very large person, so the total weight is well over 250 lbs. when I am in the cart. Even the 29-inch didn't have a problem handing the cart with me in it. I think many people make a great deal more fuss than needed over 5-10 lbs difference in the weight of the carts.

It does take some time to adjust the cart if there is a major change in horse size. I tend use the same setting for the 35 and 38 inch horse.

One thing I would add is to make sure that the wheel size is such that the cart can be used on different horses . I prefer the 24 -32 inch range. Some would say they are too big for the smaller horses. If you want to use different wheels than come with the cart make sure you check on the width of the hub and the diameter of the axle. Not all the wheels interchange. I have an adapter I made for my Smart Cart that allows me to use a variety of sizes and types of wheels.

If you are looking for an all around cart that doesn't cost a great deal and will last for years by a Frontier. I have used and abused one for years. They are easy to get replacement parts and they can be adapted to fit most miniature horses. The company has always stood by their product. Mine does weigh less than 100 lbs.

Ron

There are some folks that "feel" the Smart Cart feels heavy to them when they pick it up by the shafts to attach the horse. I always have them check it with someone in the seat.
This is very true. The balance is absolutely affected by the body in the seat. Even adding a 2nd person can affect it. Everybody should do this with every cart they own or are trying.

Myrna

I came back to driving after 40 years and things have changed greatly, getting more sophisticated all the time......with that being said I was ready to buy my first cart and bought the one that had been suggested by the trainer at the time. It was the EE Alpine with 20 inch wheels.....and it was fine, we fine tuned the seat placement with the new trainer and also added footman's loops and changed the location of the tug stops. I then added steel 24 inche wheels with the hard rubber and love them......and as you all know you can't have just one mini, so one turned into two that turned into 3....two of them being drivers. For the 2nd cart I looked at price and availabilty and went with the Frontier EE with 24 inch wheels....one being I had already seen in a year of driving the Alpine that the wood was going to require more upkeep with the type of driving I was doing around for my pleasure and training. I have to say it is a great all around cart for weight, appearance, and generalluse. I have also added 24 inch steel wheels to it.

If i had it to do all over again I think the Frontier EE would be my first choicea for a good all around multi function cart that holds it value well for resale for any beginning driver.

And please beware of some carts being sold on line for many reasons....balance, cheap materials, bad wheels.....bicycle wheels may stand up to driving around in your yard with the kids on a Sunday afternoon but not hot rodding on trails or over rough terrain for a driving event.

As a beginner the suggestion to look and consider your horses size, type of driving you will be doing, future interests...get advice from a trainer or someone that does the type of driving you are interested in. Everyone has an opinion of what is best but you need to be diligent in doing what is best for you, your horse and the safety of you both.

Ron I know you have discussed it before a bit online with me but in the next couple of months when I am ready to actually purchase I would love to give you a call so I can ask a bunch of questions if you do not mind

It would appear I owe Margo an apology for my comments. I misread her post and responded with a false assumption that her comments were directed towards the Smart Cart. I will be careful in the future to make sure what I am reading is truly what folks are saying before I respond.

Ron

Apology accepted, Ron...an object lesson for all,though, I hope, to read for comprehension.

FYI...what I stated is NOT an 'opinion';it is a verifiable personal experience. I fully intend to share the entire set of FACTS here, if allowed. It is MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, sad to say...but I hope that knowing the facts of it will spare someone else from having what has happened to me,happen to them.

Margo

Latest posts

Back