When's the best time to stock up on hay?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
We started out feeding a really crappy hay and then switched over to a mixed grass hay about 2 months ago. We didn't want to buy a whole pallet without testing it out first, but now when I went back to get more, the price jumped up another dollar per bale.
default_new_shocked.gif
This is a 2nd cut mixed grass hay, that was cut back in Aug-Sept. Is the time to stock up at the cheapest price right after the cutting? Should I expect the price to continue to rise until the 2nd cutting of this year?

Is the time to stock up at the cheapest price right after the cutting? Should I expect the price to continue to rise until the 2nd cutting of this year?

The cheapest time to buy hay seems to always be right at harvest time, yes. And the prices will probably keep just going up and up until the new harvest is in.
default_new_shocked.gif
This year, if you have, or can build, a place to keep enough hay for the entire year, the best thing to do is find nice hay and buy enough to get you through til the next harvest. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the available hay for sale, and the rising prices.
default_sad.png

We buy it by the field and load it up immediately after it's been baled. Took some time to find who was growing what and then we looked at it before cutting. Since then we have reserved this field every year. Lots of work and driving, but it's worth it. We used to order truckloads in but you just can't be completely assured of what you are getting. Also, I refuse to buy from ag stores etc because the mark up is out of sight, I know, I worked at one that was very honest in it's dealings and did not mark up anywhere near what the norm was, and it still was alot. Buying it the way we do for the past three years now as saved us alot of money, even with the gas prices to haul it ourselves. Came to 82 cents a bale for 60-75 pound bales. And when there's two high school kids that offer their help, for free, it's great!
default_yes.gif

Hay-chancejessmuscles.jpg

I don't buy massive amounts of hay, but I do have two different farmers I get It from. Come late spring, before the first cutting, sometimes the one farmer runs a little low. He raises cattle, lots of them. One sells the 700 pound bales the other sells the 50-60 pound bales. Depending on what you are getting, it should be running about 2.50 for a small bale or $45-50 for a large bale. That is for a timothy/orchard mix.

My brother lives about an hour and a half from here and only pays 1.25 per bale and it is nice hay.

The closer you get to Allentown, the more it will cost, at least that is what I have seemed to notice.

Carolyn

PS in regards to your origonal question, the best time to make sure you have hay on hand to avoid the farmers being tight with theirs, (just because they have their own animals to feed) is between late November and May.IMO

Came to 82 cents a bale for 60-75 pound bales. And when there's two high school kids that offer their help, for free, it's great!
default_yes.gif
Wow, that's great! Luckily I only should need about 40 bales a year (until of course, we get Goldi a buddy!) I think I'll need to save up to buy a whole pallet now and then get another pallet after the harvest in September!

You may just have to stop over the mountain in late spring, see if I can help you with that buddy issue. LOL

Carolyn

You may just have to stop over the mountain in late spring, see if I can help you with that buddy issue. LOL

Carolyn
Sounds like a plan,
default_biggrin.png
how many little ones are you expecting?

I don't buy massive amounts of hay, but I do have two different farmers I get It from. Come late spring, before the first cutting, sometimes the one farmer runs a little low. He raises cattle, lots of them. One sells the 700 pound bales the other sells the 50-60 pound bales. Depending on what you are getting, it should be running about 2.50 for a small bale or $45-50 for a large bale. That is for a timothy/orchard mix.

My brother lives about an hour and a half from here and only pays 1.25 per bale and it is nice hay.

The closer you get to Allentown, the more it will cost, at least that is what I have seemed to notice.

Carolyn

PS in regards to your origonal question, the best time to make sure you have hay on hand to avoid the farmers being tight with theirs, (just because they have their own animals to feed) is between late November and May.IMO
WOW, I am paying a lot more than that! Come to think of it, my neighbor let's a farmer grow on his land...I need to find out what they are growing and if I can get some straight off the field!

Last edited by a moderator:
GRAB ALL YOU CAN AND BRING IT TO INDIANA. HAY RIGHT NOW FOR ABOUT A 50 -60LB BALE IS GOING ANYWHERE FROM $4.75 TO $7.00 (ALFALFA GRASS MIX). AND ONLY 2 YEARS AGO WE PAID $2.00 FOR A GRASS CLOVER MIX. ARRRGGG. WE GO THROUGH 1200 BALES A YEAR TALKING ABOUT FEED KILLING US, BUT OUR BABIES ARE WORTH IT, THEY ARE OUR FUN, VACATIONS, FAMILY AND SPARE TIME.

82 cents per bale?? Wow. Our hay here is $14 per bale for Bermuda, all the way up to $24 per bale for Timothy hay. Oat, orchard, and alfalfa is in between that. (These are 110 pound bales though).

Andrea

default_biggrin.png
My family grows its own hay! But the cost of getting a guy to cut it and bale it makes it around 3 dollars a square bale. At feed stores its around 7 dollars.

We know what is in our hay. But I only buy hay from two different people, other then my family.

I am expectiong 2 little ones. I was at four, but sold my R only mares. They are waiting to go to their new home down the road.
default_sad.png

They'll be missed, but they will be OH SOOOO SPOILED. They are getting a brand new 30x50 barn built just for them.

I am sure, God willing, if all goes well, you will see a post from me later this spring.

Carolyn

When is the best time to buy hay? WHENEVER YOU CAN!

We normally buy 200-300 bales at a time a few times a year, but whenever i can pick up a extra 50 bales or so i TAKE ADVANTAGE. If i can get any extra hay any time i never decline
default_smile.png

We pay 1.75/bale (orchard grass / alfalfa mix) in the summer/spring and $2.25-$3.00 in the winter.

Leeana

The Best time is at harvest time.........It's the cheapest and it's when you can pick and choose where to buy!

The problem is, if you don't have the money to pay for it all at once, then you're sunk. Most growers do not hold on a "promise" like in the Old Days.......

We grow some of our own, and we also buy as much as we can from other growers, that we know, as we can afford.

I buy from one farmer who is known for his great hay. It is usually 50x50 alfalfa grass I put up about 900 bales in my barn and he holds another 600 in his barn for me. I always get 3rd cutting and fourth cutting if he has any. He cuts it and brings it right over to my place and unloads and stacks for me.
default_biggrin.png

This year we ran into a hay shortage for a while, since we were having a drought. My farmer could only get a 2nd cutting and that pretty poor. Since I am a regular customer, he went out of his way to find hay for me. Fortunatly the drought was over by the 10th of August and he ended up getting a 3ed and 4th cutting and aved it all for me. It is mostly alfalfa this year, but it is keeping my mares fat and sassy.
default_biggrin.png

So, I'm paying $7.50 for a 40lb bale, I paid $6.50 about 8 weeks ago and if I buy 40 at a time it's only $6.

It seems I am paying more per pound than just about everyone who posted (and even others in my area), but I like the quality and also like the fact that it is double compressed (a 40lb bale is half the size of a normal bale) so it's easy to store and less messy than normal bales.

My only option at this time of year seems to be to continue getting it where I am and buy at least 40 and then check with my neighbor to see what the farmer is growing in his fields.

I can't believe how much I have learned on this site, I'd would definitely be a horrible horse mommy if I didn't have you guys! Goldi and I say THANKS!
default_wub.png

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this year will be my first year dealing with getting hay by myself. Does anyone have an opinion of just how many square bales I will need for the winter for 5-6 horses? I currently have 11 horses here, but will be selling down to only have 5-6 going forward. Not planning on keeping any of this year's foals, just 1 stallion and 4-5 mares. Most of the bales that my husband made or ones we've had to buy in the past are in the 50-60 pound range. I normally start feeding hay in September or October and feed through maybe April depending on the grass coming in. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate your input.
default_yes.gif

WE are paying $6 bale for grass hay right now. We purchased it out of the field in summer for $5 bale. Our alfalfa is running $15 for a small bale.

I just told Julie that we are going to have to take a road trip this summer up north to pick up hay and bring it back. It would be cheaper for us to travel and bring back the hay than purchase it a mile down the road.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this year will be my first year dealing with getting hay by myself. Does anyone have an opinion of just how many square bales I will need for the winter for 5-6 horses? I currently have 11 horses here, but will be selling down to only have 5-6 going forward. Not planning on keeping any of this year's foals, just 1 stallion and 4-5 mares. Most of the bales that my husband made or ones we've had to buy in the past are in the 50-60 pound range. I normally start feeding hay in September or October and feed through maybe April depending on the grass coming in. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate your input.
default_yes.gif
I feed hay year round and figure about 1 ton per mini per year, so last year I put up about 6 ton for my 6 minis; I did add another mini in November, but I'm ok for hay, so far. For the year, that's about 175 bales, if they are 70# bales. [Last year, my FIL baled some hay for me, those bales were only about 50# each, so I needed 30% more bales to have enough hay. So, around 210 bales total with the mix of 70# bales and 50# bales.] [i go through about 1/2 bale per day in good weather, more in cold weather.]

Ok, so Sept to April is about 8 months, so 3/4 the year. To be sure you have enough hay, I'd go with 3/4 ton per mini per hay feeding season; about 180 50# bales (fewer larger bales; about 130 70# bales). This is just a rough estimate, as I don't know how much hay you typically feed (I feed primarily hay plus a ration balancer, very little other bagged feeds); if you feed a fair amount of commercial feeds (complete pellets, hay pellets/cubes, beet pulp), then you may get by with less hay. Hope this helps a little bit.

Every time the hay has to be handled, the price goes up. Out of the field is usually cheapest, off the wagon next. delivered (not counting delivering cost) is next, and most expensive is usually if you get it out of the farmer's barn.

I try to get it as soon as 2nd cutting is ready. I like 2 - 3rd cutting the best. Right now, grass out of the barn is $6.50 and up. The stockyards are getting $7 and up.

HA, HA , HA, I got off this post earlier, called for hay, said i'd be there to pick it up Saturday morning.Went to pick up my daughter from school, Drove 5 miles to fill up on gas, and at the stop sign someone rear ended me!!!!!!! Guess I'll be borrowing the neighbors truck to get hay Saturday morning, my SUV won't be up for pulling any trailers, it's in the autobody shop!!!

default_wacko.png

Such is life.....

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back