When to introduce the bit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boy took the bit like a champ, you would have thought he had done it many times before but I started off by just using it in our round pen work. I probably didnt introduce anything else besides the bit till about a month later.

I lunge in deep snow! Obviously nothing over an easy trot in a very big cirvle, but it really works them ! It's about 12" deep in spots here. My guy isn't happy about it, but boy is he building some sexy muscle from it !

Take him for a walk or jog when harnessed, put it on and make him stand tied while you do chores. Nothing 'builds character' in a horse like learning to stand tied in my opinion! Even put the bit in over his halter and leave him tied ( by the halter with a quick release knot of course! ) if you can be close by. Just remember you can never ever rush tack introduction. It's far better to go 'too slow' (impossible to do in my humble opinion) than too fast!

Thanks everyone! I'll try taking him for walks/jogs and making him stand tied with the harness on. I'm definitely not in any rush, I have a lot of time until he starts "real" training.

First, dental check. Then, put a simple open bridle on when lunging on a line, round penning, or even just grooming.

I like to put small bits of "Fruit Roll Ups" (dried flattened fruit leather) on the bit instead of something sticky and liquid like molasses or honey.

Thanks disneyhorse,

He's going to be boarded in February as we're going on vacation, so I'm going to see if he could possibly get a vet to check his teeth while he's there. If not, it probably won't be until late spring. Thanks for the advice on the "Fruit Roll Ups". I'll keep that in mind. I like those so I'm sure Breaker would too!

Latest posts

Back