When to haul..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
Hello all...I have a question to ask of you. I have someone who bought some ponies from us. Four are pregnant and two are maiden mares. They would be traveling about 950 miles. The two maiden mares are due the 1st of July and the two older mares the 1st of June and almost the almost the end of June. I am worried that it is getting too close to be hauling them..what do you think?

Thanks
default_yes.gif

Jenny

I would think they would be fine - as long as they are hauled within the next two weeks (and hauled with care!) It is important that mares are in the place where they are to foal (pastures/barns/stalls) at least 4 weeks before their due date to enable them to build a natural immunity to any germs/bugs, they will then pass this immunity on to the foals they are carrying via blood and milk supplies. So working on the first mare foaling June 1st, getting them to their new home by mid April should be fine.

Well done with your sales - hope your girls will be happy in their new home!

Anna

I agree with Anna if they ship soon they should be fine but if it takes longer than I would wait especially on the June mares. I would also be sure to transport them straight thru and not use one making a lot of other stops. Which costs more but probably worth it.

Thanks Anna and Kaykay. I don't believe they will be leaving any sooner than the end of the month, not 100% on that, but so far the buyer has not given a date to take them and that is what is worrying me.

Thanks,

Jenny

I would also take into consideration how comfortable the mares are with hauling... if they've never been in a trailer I'd be a lot more worried about the stress level on them than if they've been hauled to shows several times a year for several years and have no problems. Some horses haul relaxed, and some are basket cases and won't drink enough when on the trailer and such.

Good luck,

Andrea

What about using Regumate.. What are your thoughts about this drug?

Andrea I agree with you, but some have never been in a trailer and others it's been a very longgg time.

Thanks,

Jenny

Mares experienced in hauling should be fine all the way thru the end of April - mares that can travel together in a larger stall should be much better as the stress level is reduced a HUGE amount. For me if I had mares that have traveled like Disney said I would not worry much at all

Latest posts

Back