when to give a vit/min supplement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnsminis

Reaction score
Since I only give mine a small amount of a good quality sweet feed, anywhere from 1/8 cup to 1/2 cup 2 x a day, depending on the time of year; is there a need for supplementation if the feed contains all the vit & min they need? I've been given various info by different feed store reps. Some say they don't need anything else because they utilize what they need from the amount given, while others say they can't get enough nutrients unless fed the amount on the feed bag according to their weight. Which one is correct? I have white salt block & free choice minerals out always and this time of year I have good quality free choice grass hay; also smaller amounts of fancy hay (mixed) a couple times a month.

Any opinions appreciated...

Forgot to mention: also 1T flax & 1/8 c boss once daily; right now they are fat so only 1/8c sweet feed 2 times, but will increase the feed this winter.

[SIZE=14pt]1/8 cup is only about 4 tablespoons. Doesnt sound like enough for a horse to get fat on. Anyway. If you are feeding a prepared sweet feed check the label because most of them already contain vitamins.You really dont need extras if they are in good shape. Flax is the best thing you can do. It has omega 3 fats and it also has tocotrianols from the Vit E.Great antioxidant. People use it too including me.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks Lyn....they've been on grass all summer, plus a little hay in the evening. I guess that's why they're fat. Now that we're approaching winter, I'll increase the feed and hay. I've never been able to give them very much feed because they get fat so easy with just the grass and hay. They look great though. My vet said not to change a thing with them looking so good. I just thought I would get some different opinions.

If you read the labels on the feed tags, the vitamin/mineral percentages are based on pounds. As minis are basically fed on a "cup" basis, they are NOT getting the proper nutritional requirements that their bodies need. Therefore it is extremely important to add a complete vitamin/mineral supplement to their daily food.

If you read the labels on the feed tags, the vitamin/mineral percentages are based on pounds. As minis are basically fed on a "cup" basis, they are NOT getting the proper nutritional requirements that their bodies need. Therefore it is extremely important to add a complete vitamin/mineral supplement to their daily food.

[SIZE=14pt]Actually, my horses are fed by pounds....the least amount I give is 4 cups which is a pound and a half of what I feed even two of my weaners are getting 2 pounds twice a day. I am just not a believer in a handful or cup is enough and I know that many of you dont agree with me ...and thats ok.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Back