When Selling a Horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you used Google Maps to see where your horse is going?

• YES

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • NO

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters

Katiean

Reaction score
I have made a tenitive deal to srll my Stallion. He is for 2 young boys 5 and 7. He is going to be gelded and I am supposed to deliver him. As I talked with the woman that is buying him I asked for the address because I am delivering him. I then used Google maps and went to the Sat. view. It looks like a good area. So When selling a horse have you used Google Maps to see where your horse was going?

We use google maps mostly. But there is a way to get a 'street view' and see the front of the property! Gives you an idea of the what the place looks like and helps if you are driving there and looking for an unfamilair address and area. (ya' all probably knew all that anyway
default_frusty.gif
Duh!!!).
default_yes.gif

Well if you google map street viewed myself, or even my mother who lives on a major highway, you wouldn't see either of our places. Mine because it is a dead end road that google has never driven down and my mom's because it puts her address a full quarter of a mile away from where it is and you'd be guessing as to which of the four houses you can see is hers! So no, I don't use google maps to see where a horse is going because I know how inaccurate they are.

I dont simply because it never loads properly on my computer so have not successfully been able to see anything LOL!!!

I don't do it either because when I googles my own place the shot was from about 25 yrs ago, didn't show all of our improvments.

When I google map myself the view is from a couple of years ago. So, taking that into account, I did google where my horse is going. It is fenced with the same fencing I have across the back of my peoperty. Basicly I was checking the address because I am delivering my Dusty down there. However, I saw the barn she spoke of and he will have a proper fence. If I get down there and I don't like any of it I will cancel the sale and take him back home. I mean I did end up crying when we were making the deal. I really hate selling my horses. I don't think I would have been as bothered by selling if it had been Ellie. But she isn't kid safe and Dusty is.

I was curious so I looked mine up but the image is old. It looks the same as when we first bought it 5 years ago and we've done a lot since then. It could be a good idea, I'd certainly want to make sure my horse is going to a safe home.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't tell much from a photo of a neighborhood. I'll bet Jerry Sandusky's house and neighborhood is pretty nice. Don't judge a book by the cover.

Hmmm-think I will look our place up then. We have changed a lot too in the 17 years we have been here. Didn't think or know of those aspects!

I had never used Bing's Bird's Eye View so I got on and looked and had to laugh because if someone was looking at that to see our property they would have a general idea but they would be confused as the picture shows 2 houses instead of one... It must be a picture from when we were having our house built as the trailer house is still here but the new house is also in place... So must be almost 2 year old image.. But it did give a general idea of the layout of the property.

Sorry. it's not something I would put much stock into. I must actually say there have been two sales that I was very leary of in the beginning, and they turned out to be EXCELLANT homes, then there has also been a sale that I thought would have been wonderful, everything seemed great, was able to view things in person,...knowledgeable, decent sized property, could provide for their animals....in the end, it was one of the deciding factors on why I no longer breed. You just never know.....

I had never used Bing's Bird's Eye View so I got on and looked and had to laugh because if someone was looking at that to see our property they would have a general idea but they would be confused as the picture shows 2 houses instead of one... It must be a picture from when we were having our house built as the trailer house is still here but the new house is also in place... So must be almost 2 year old image.. But it did give a general idea of the layout of the property.
We have a pic of the farm where the little Mini trailer is parked both out back AND in the front!
default_doh.gif
Plus, our friend had borrowed it one time and it was parker at HER house, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems almost all gps and also birds eye view also puts us down the street from our farm

but we are also on a dead end road that turns into a dirt road where we are

but its better than other satelite views I've seen

We have a pic of the farm where the little Mini trailer is parked both out back AND in the front!
default_doh.gif
Plus, our friend had borrowed it one time and it was parker at HER house, too!
You didn't know you had so many trailers did you?

Well, the woman that is buying Dusty called yesterday. She decided that the barn was too far from the house. He will stay with me for a couple more weeks until they can build him a shelter and refence colser to the house. She doesn't want him to be by himself so far from the house. I do like that.

I sold one shetland years ago that they built her her own barn that was heated and cooled with running hot and cold water. I tried to buy her back about 2 years after I sold her and they were not selling.

As a genealogist, I use Google Earth quite a lot. Mainly to see where my ancestors lived generations ago, if I happen to have an address. Most of the time, it's pretty close. In some country places, it can be a bit off. Occasionally, you can see a house number to make sure. Sometimes of course, street/road names have also changed over the years.

If you look on the bottom left side of Google pics, you can see when that last photo was taken. They do update them all the time across the world, but it's a huge task, so not all are updated very often.

Lizzie

I voted no; I prefer to make a judgment in the home based on other things...I learned long ago to never judge anything or anyone on appearances. The meanest of animal abusers might have the nicest looking facility and the shabby property might be the best home ever.

I did check out my house once and it wasn't there...lol. I really think that you should have a good idea about a person and not judge by their home. I have sold to folks that have been awesome owners that didn't have a super duper home (Heck I live in a Modular) and they are the best owners.Then the ones i figured would be great ended up the opposite, sooo wouldn't judge by Google or Bing. I guess I have better things to do with my time like clean up horsey poop

Latest posts

Back