When do you switch to mare and foal feeds?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the concensus is for those of you who feed your pregnant mares. I have been switching mine from the mini pony feed to mare and foal feed at the five month mark. The vets here are not of much help, so I thought I'd pose the question to those of you here who are heavily in the know.

Thanks!

Gosh, don't kill me for saying "pony" instead of horse, we're a couple of those who don't care what anybody calls them....they're all our "babies"

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed Buckeye, so I'll just increase the amount fed at the end of the pregnancy and especially when nursing. If they seem to need more than the chart recommends (I can't imagine that ever happening) I'll add oats. Simple. That's why I LOVE Buckeye. :aktion033:

THSNKS FOR THE INPUT! :bgrin

I think a lot of people switch them to a higher protein feed when they are at the last 3 months.

kinda depends on the mare as they are all different. generally the last 8 weeks. remember you dont want to make your mare obese because that can cause a lot of problems too.

Latest posts

Back