When do you normally clip?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
I needed to clip my new foal this week because for the next couple weeks they are calling for temps in the high 90's - low 100's and he was already sweating with his heavy baby coat.

When do you normally clip the new babies?

We do not clip them out until it is warm enough. If they are born in April, it is usually June before we can clip in our part of the country.

I was amazed that in Canada your temps are that high already!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been terrible where I live, high temps for Spring and no rain. The hay crops this year are being cut now, a month early because it has matured because of the hot temps.

Why dont you do a partial clip leaving some hair over the back and rear so if it cools down at night they will be warm.

We have pretty hot and often humid summers, but because many of our foals have a lot of white markings (pink skin)I am reluctant to clip them entirely because of the sunburn issue. Most of our foals have very fine, horse like, haircoats and that pink skin will sunburn in a heartbeat.

So I comprimise. I head and neck, clip the underbelly and the lower legs up to knees. This allows them to dissapate heat fairly well without exposing all of that pink skin on the back and sides. For white faces, large spots on necks and white lower legs I clip WITH the hair to take off the really long shaggy stuff but leave enough for sun protection.

This kind of clip will also keep them warm enough if we have a sudden cool spell like this crazy spring!

Also I will use zinc oxide ointment (diaper rash ointment) on pink skined faces where they have rubbed off the hair while nursing.

When I occasionally have a very white one I've had to fully clip for one reason or another they then have to stay in the paddocks with a lot of shade instead of the pasture.

I worry about those long haired babies that just get soaking wet in the heat. Getting that hot just can't be good for them.

Charlotte

I am only 7 miles from the Ontario border, and it is 88 here right now! At night it drops to the 50's.

I clipped a yearling today, she loved it!

I have a very hairy 6 week old foal that is next. This hot spell is going to last a while from the weather report. Farmers are cutting hay here also.

I don't like to clip the babies unless truly necessary,for instance due to the heat or an upcoming show.

If you put your horses IN at night, they will be fine if it gets cooler.

Be sure you have adequate shade if you decide on a full clip.

I like the others do a partial clip if we get an unusual hot spell, but a chance it will still get cooler at night. I do a chest, underside of the neck or full neck, and sometimes some of the belly. When I get home tonight I can look for photos if you want. I know one time I clipped the front half to the heartgirth, was pretty funny looking, but kept the filly a lot cooler!
default_smile.png

I don't do a full body clip until it's good and warm at night or I have two really good blankets that will fit and keep them warm/dry even on rainy days. That way if one gets wet I have a second one to keep on while the other dries, but it's so much easier to wait until you don't have to blanket. I worry about them getting chilled and catching a respiratory bug.

Our foals are first clipped when we show them as yearlings, if we show them as yearlings.
default_wink.png

I really try not to clip as that coat is there for bug protection as well, but there are times when it seems to be the right thing to do. I, too, do the partial clip....necks, upper legs, that sort of thing. I almost worry more about them getting too chilly at night than I do about them getting too hot during the day.

Its really been HOT here too but our nights are still chilly so I also do a partial clip, under belly, and neck for right now. Here's a tip: Clip with a #8 blade first. That will leave enough hair still on for protection at night and from the bugs and no need to sheet.

Well I ended up clipping him completely. I started and the sweat was running off of him, the poor little begger. We are having temps of 95-105 during the day and 65-70 at night. If it turns cold then I will haul out a blanket for him but I felt it was cruel to leave him in his baby coat

Back